How i got the P3300 for free...ish

Guest mattbrown

Guest mattbrown

Last saturday I popped into town to look for a new phone - I had an idea, what phone could i get for free and that was the best the shop could do for me, searching around on Ebay i found the Nokia N95 went for about £350 mark, which was the same price (+or- £) as the P3300 i had my eye for a while, so with this info i went into T-Mobile (cuz of the data package they do) and asked there - on the Flext 35 it would cost me £49.99, i didnt want to spend any money on the new phone so i tried Phones4U - they said first of all they recomended I go on Orange as they "did" the phone for the price i wanted at the cost/month, (£45ish) - I was abit unsure - to which he said as a special "today only" I could have it for Free (instead of £49.99). The salesperson said that I wouldnt need more than 10mb/month anyway - even though I wanted it on T-Mobile (He advised the phone would cost alot more)>

I said i would "definately think about this as, what had first began as an idea, I realised I was in a position of bargaining here, so with this info I went into Carphone warehouse, and asked the guy there - I wanted to pay no more than £50/month and get the phone for free, He advised me on T-mobile - I could have this, BUT I had to take out their insurance package (hmmm) - anyway I thought ok, Ill just cancel it after the first payment so then the phone would have only cost be about £40 quid, I then got the phone played with it for about an hour - nice phone, but Symbian OS - So posted it on Ebay for £350.00 - on a Buy Now, (i Wanted quick sale) - it sold about a couple of hours later and the guy paid straight away, part one is done, - the next morning, after finally settling on the P3300 I put in an order at www.expansys.com (cost about 352.00 inc p+P)(the price has gone up on these there since) - and would have to wait for about 10 days for stock to arrive, well it arrived on the following wednesday at 7.20am - fantastic!!!

A few days later i got the paper work for this phone insurance and thought - lets see if i can call them up and ask for it to be cancelled - and they did it - just like that, and they wont be taking any money either for the first payment (If i couldnt have cancelled it I might then have tried to recall the DD)

So all in all the phone has actually only cost me about £24 quid intotal (taking into account ebay fees and p+p for the nokia - for which if i had sold it for slightly higher would have wiped my costs out)

I most probably will be doing this again unless - phone operators release untampered phones and have good data packages etc - most definately worth trying if you are after that phone you have your eye on...

Guest mikeeey
Last saturday I popped into town to look for a new phone - I had an idea, what phone could i get for free and that was the best the shop could do for me, searching around on Ebay i found the Nokia N95 went for about £350 mark, which was the same price (+or- £) as the P3300 i had my eye for a while, so with this info i went into T-Mobile (cuz of the data package they do) and asked there - on the Flext 35 it would cost me £49.99, i didnt want to spend any money on the new phone so i tried Phones4U - they said first of all they recomended I go on Orange as they "did" the phone for the price i wanted at the cost/month, (£45ish) - I was abit unsure - to which he said as a special "today only" I could have it for Free (instead of £49.99). The salesperson said that I wouldnt need more than 10mb/month anyway - even though I wanted it on T-Mobile (He advised the phone would cost alot more)>

I said i would "definately think about this as, what had first began as an idea, I realised I was in a position of bargaining here, so with this info I went into Carphone warehouse, and asked the guy there - I wanted to pay no more than £50/month and get the phone for free, He advised me on T-mobile - I could have this, BUT I had to take out their insurance package (hmmm) - anyway I thought ok, Ill just cancel it after the first payment so then the phone would have only cost be about £40 quid, I then got the phone played with it for about an hour - nice phone, but Symbian OS - So posted it on Ebay for £350.00 - on a Buy Now, (i Wanted quick sale) - it sold about a couple of hours later and the guy paid straight away, part one is done, - the next morning, after finally settling on the P3300 I put in an order at www.expansys.com (cost about 352.00 inc p+P)(the price has gone up on these there since) - and would have to wait for about 10 days for stock to arrive, well it arrived on the following wednesday at 7.20am - fantastic!!!

A few days later i got the paper work for this phone insurance and thought - lets see if i can call them up and ask for it to be cancelled - and they did it - just like that, and they wont be taking any money either for the first payment (If i couldnt have cancelled it I might then have tried to recall the DD)

So all in all the phone has actually only cost me about £24 quid intotal (taking into account ebay fees and p+p for the nokia - for which if i had sold it for slightly higher would have wiped my costs out)

I most probably will be doing this again unless - phone operators release untampered phones and have good data packages etc - most definately worth trying if you are after that phone you have your eye on...

wow ur lucky. the phone i want tho is the p4550 (htc kaiser). only thing i dont like about the p3300 is it only has a 200mhz processor, and no keyboard.

the p4550 has everything except the FM radio.

Guest Webreaper

You could have just walked into O2 and got an XDA Orbit (which is the P3300) on a £40/month tariff, and you'd have got the device for free?!?!

Guest BrownSource

Hey I got the P3300 as the MDA Compact 3 on an upgrade for free (I'm only on Flext £25pm with no data or insurance) and as far as I'm aware you get much better deals for a new connection than upgraders.

I would always expect to get the Compact 3 for free. Period.

Getting the N95 or the Vario2 for free, on a reasonable price plan is a different matter.

Guest Webreaper
The MDA Compact III has Wifi disabled on it

Are you sure? Why would T-Mobile go to the trouble of disabling a major feature of a standard HTC device?

Edited by Webreaper