Can't install apps

Guest jasnewt

Guest jasnewt

Now this is a problem I have had before with my C600.

Suddenly my phone has lost the ability to install programs. When clicking on a CAB file on the phone, nothing happens, and when installing from the desktop the phone freezes at the point where it starts installing from the file transferred to the phone.

Like I said, this has happened a couple of times before with my C600. Soft resets don't help, meaning a hard reset is the only way to go. I did have Sprite Backup for my C600 so I could be back up and working after a few minutes, but if this keeps happening with my Vox, it's going to drive me mad.

Anyone come across this before, and have a fix that doesn't involve a hard reset?

Jason.

Guest conan_troutman

i had this problem and found it to be a corruption to the cab file mhen transfering it to my phone via AS or BT use a card reader to transfer it to your SD card then try it.

Guest Disco Stu

Another thing to do is look into \Windows \AppMgr \Install.

Files from failed installations get dumped in here and stop the Add/Remove function working. Delete anything you find in there.

As you know, all the other files/folders in AppMgr are needed.

Guest jasnewt

Thanks for the replies.

My phone is fully unlocked.

I have tried re-copying the CAB file to the phone, and made sure the AppMgr/Install folder was empty. Still had the problem. One thing I didn't try though was copying using a card reader. Seems like something occasionally gets corrupted.

Anyway I hard reset my Vox and all seems fine now. Everything I had tried to install before worked fine. Fortunately Sprite Backup is compatible with WM6 so I have a backup to fall back on if it occurs again.

One thing I love about the Vox is the extra phone storage. On my C600 I used to copy everything from the AppMgr folder (except the Install folder) to the Storage Card which would give me an extra 1.5MB of precious phone memory. Trick is to remember to copy back the relevant folder when you want to upgrade or remove a program. Thankfully this isn't something I have to worry about anymore!

I could have sworn I'd posted the original message to the Vox section....

Jason.