Orange Flat Rate data - the official announcement

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Look what just dropped in my mailbox!

Kudos to Orange, especially on the 'capping' for those who don't sign up to a bundle!

P

From June, five new bundles, starting from just £1, mean both Pay Monthly and Pay As You Go customers can browse safe in the knowledge they will know exactly how much they will pay.

The five different pricing bundles are:

Orange Pay Monthly

Daily browsing for as little as £1 (for those who want to experience the mobile internet without worrying about the cost)

Monthly evening and weekend browsing for £5 (for those who choose to browse mainly in the evening and at weekends)

Monthly Anytime browsing for £8 (for seasoned surfers who demand great value for all their mobile browsing)

Orange Pay As You Go

Daily browsing for as little as £1 (for those who want to experience the mobile internet without worrying about the cost)

7 day browsing for £5 (for frequent surfers, offering more than 25% off our already great value daily rate)

Orange has also put in place a price cap for customers who don't sign up to a bundle. These customers will be able to browse the mobile internet as they do now, but will only be charged up to a maximum of £1.50 per day (Pay Monthly) or £2.00 (Pay As You Go)*.

Furthermore, all Orange customers will now have free access to their own personalised Orange World homepage, as well as news headlines and favourites. Customers will also benefit from free mobile internet searches and can browse the full catalogue of downloadable video, games, music and ring tones for free. If they see something they like while browsing, they pay just for the download, not the download traffic or any other hidden data charges. They can also make use of the Orange Local service for free throughout the summer (July – September inclusive), letting them know where they are and what they can get up to with information on restaurants, bars and local services.

Jean-Pascal Van Overbeke, Vice President Mobile & Convergence for Orange, says “Our new pricing structure makes it easy for our customers to understand exactly what they are getting and for how long when they access the mobile internet. Customers can get access to the web on the move, without the fear of being caught out by any hidden charges.”

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Finally Orange start to catch up! Fantastic news now its official now though :rolleyes: Roll on June...oh, yeah, you are taking the Kaiser on, right Orange...? :P

Guest deadphill
Look what just dropped in my mailbox!

Kudos to Orange, especially on the 'capping' for those who don't sign up to a bundle!

P

Goes to show though that you need to stay ahead of the game to keep your customers. If Orange had offered this over a year ago when t-mobile did, I can guarantee I would still be with them. However this combined with the quality of their customer services going downhill very fast, I moved to T-mobile. Not looked back.

Good news for those on orange though.

Guest Zahid

Are these prices plus VAT?

Also, what do you reckon will happen to those of us with the Orange World Unlimited (OWU) bundle? Will we keep it, or be moved onto one of these plans?

Guest shutdown

i signed up to Orange last week, ordered myself a shiny new E650 thinking that the new announcement wouldn't be far away and i could surf quite freely.

but thanks to orange customer support being totally w**k i had to cancel the order. brand new customer, 4 balls ups in one week, sorry orange but i don't like you anymore.

wonder if vodafone will play the game now?

Guest pjam001

So t-mobile are still cheaper at 7.50. Plus for those who got it bundled with flext with 25% off it worked out at 5.63.

Guest Tim

I'm glad to see we'll have free access to Personalised Home Page and Local Services, meaning on an SPV we wont have to pay to get a message saying 'Due to Temporary network problems, Orange can't identify your mobile number'!

Guest Swampie

So you can opt for a £1 for 1 day charge in advance, or pay £1.50 per day (contract customers) capped if you don't. Save 50p by setting it up in advance?

Guest creamhackered

This isn't unlimited at all!

Orange got back to me with

"VoIP and IM aren’t included in the bundle and all packages are unlimited except for Monthly Anytime which will be capped at 30MB (browsing)."

Not as good as T-Mobile if you're using push mail etc.

Daily browsing is capped to 25MB per day and the fair use policy for evening and weekend browsing is at 1GB over the month apparently.

Edited by creamhackered

Guest jimbouk
Are these prices plus VAT?

Also, what do you reckon will happen to those of us with the Orange World Unlimited (OWU) bundle? Will we keep it, or be moved onto one of these plans?

Considering the OWU was sold with the strict proviso that if you sign up for it you must keep it for the full contract term... it would be ironic if they tried to change it!

Guest Jon_

Will this include the sending & receiving of email via pop/smtp and/or imap, or will that not be covered within the bundle?

Guest trevormuk

Would be good to know if laptop connection via modem (gprs/Edge etc.) is included.

I brieflytried T Mobile payg sim... thought it was great that even on PAYG they only charge you £1.00, however this did not include using the connection to connect your laptop... normal data charges (per Mb) applied

Anyone?

Cheers

Guest pd.ryder
Would be good to know if laptop connection via modem (gprs/Edge etc.) is included.

I brieflytried T Mobile payg sim... thought it was great that even on PAYG they only charge you £1.00, however this did not include using the connection to connect your laptop... normal data charges (per Mb) applied

Anyone?

Cheers

I guess the lappy is literally using the device as a modem :rolleyes: so is dialing the ISP set as IE's default connection. There must be a way of getting the lappy to look for the T-Mobile connection and use that? Don't have a lappy so I have never needed to do this.

:P

Guest Confucious
I guess the lappy is literally using the device as a modem :rolleyes: so is dialing the ISP set as IE's default connection. There must be a way of getting the lappy to look for the T-Mobile connection and use that? Don't have a lappy so I have never needed to do this.

:P

It is completely different - you can't use someone else's APN!

Guest rhaleuk
It is completely different - you can't use someone else's APN!

Just phoned Orange and after much scampering around he said the only thing he can see regarding this is something coming the end of June and that it's nowhere on the system at the moment. So tough luck at the moment basically.

Guest Sp00k

Well... The Future may or may not be Bright, Orange... Unfortunately it seems that the immediate Present ain't any too shiny though!

Still... No-one can say that you aren't 'on the ball', by the time that 'unlimited' data comes into effect, it will only have taken a mere 18 months or so to catch up to T-Mob!

Way to go Orange! You've been taking the pith out of your original, faithful, long-term cuthtomers for too long... Many of us have seen a far brighter light, offering much better value for money, along with greatly superior customer service, elsewhere... and have followed it! :rolleyes:

Guest shimmip

So how come when I've spoken to Orange UK customer services a couple of times this month they have maintained that they don't know anything about this and the only thing that is changing in June is roaming charges? I just got off the phone from customer services because I'm due a phone upgrade and I'm trying to get more info on this to decide whether to hold off until June to pick up a M3100 or M700.

Sorry to be sceptical, but is this definite? And on non-business tariffs etc?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.