ROM Update: Cingular 3125 (3100)

Guest Loki4

Guest Loki4

:P For those that have the Cingular 3125, I found that HTC has a WM5 (alas no WM6) update. According to the support site it includes:

Windows Mobile 5 AKU 3.4.2

New Daylight Savings Time rules.

After I updated the ROM, (I used to have 2.205.x), I found:

...that they have also included the MobiTV2 software (used to be just a link to a web site)

...a "link" for TeleNav

... and the XM Radio software

...Internet Explorer's "home page" (not the Cingular home page), is different.

Took 7 minutes to update the ROM. :D

Took 2 hours and 53 minutes to re-install all my 3rd party software!!!! :rolleyes:

Here is the link:

http://www.america.htc.com/support/3125/so...-downloads.html

Enjoy!!!

Guest waldo367

Did you find that you lost the MMS option under Messaging after you updated?

I came from ROM version 2.4.502.0 up to 4.1.502.5. I did a backup using Sprite beforehand, did the hard reset + create UpgradeInfo file, flash, then restore "My Documents, and System Data" only in upgrade mode. (I had previously tried a full-restore but it seemed to corrupt all of my databases for outlook and whatnot.)

I also found that upon updating, I was unable to connect to the internet via PIE until I went into the settings and reset the GPRS login information. So far most things seem to be working less MMS messaging.

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

er... i could be wrong here but that update seems to be the 2.4.502.0 update. I think HTC have just update the screenshot without updating the file. afaik, the latest update floating around is 4.1.502.4 (unofficial test rom).

EDIT: Muhahaha - it may not be on the page but it's certainly on their server! :rolleyes:

http://www.america.htc.com/support/docs/RU...30_CWS_SHIP.exe

Heh, seems it's only 7 days newer than 4.1.502.4 rom (which was built 02/04/07, new one is 09/04/07)

Guest Loki4

:rolleyes: Ok: I had no problems with my upgrade. I did not lose the MMS, I have the right ROM and new software was added as stated in my last post.

I did not do a backup per say. I did drag all my pics, vids and docs to my storage card and then removed the storage card before I did the upgrade. Also all software that was installed into the storage card, I removed prior to the upgrade also.

Two decades (plus) dealing with various operating systems has taught me that although a "backup-upgrade-restore" option is quicker and prefered by some, it rather proves disasterous for moi. So, I did the upograde and re-installed EVERYTHING!! The storage card was reinstalled and all my files were able to be read. Because of the additional software that was added with this ROM, I had to install a few more programs into the storage card.

I don't know of any specific "bug fixes", or other new stuff. Honestly, I can't see any difference in how the phone operates. Except, I'm not charging my battery as often. Hmmmm.... :D

EDIT UPDATE: Since I posted this from work, I couldn't check on the RUU that I downloaded (just to be sure). So, now that I'm home: I did get the 4.1.502.5. B) I went back to the HTC site and for some STUPID reason they still have the old ROM attached to the link!!!! (Are they high?!?!?) So, you might want to follow Alex's (nedge2k) link to get it. As a matter of fact, the web page does not have the addition info (the 4.1.502.x) about the AKU and stuff. Someone messed up over there. If you still can't get it: Email and yell at HTC for messing up and to post the correct ROM. :P

2nd EDIT UPDATE!!!!!: (Man, I'm busy today!!!) HTC HAS UPDATED THE WEB PAGE!!!! :D It now has the correct info and it has the CORRECT RUU to download!!!

Yeah!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Loki4

• 2 months later...
Guest kevinbaby

I know this is an old topic, but after I updated mine, that the battery life and GSM antenna strength decreased. I got a replacement phone from Cingular (ATT) with the old orginal ROM, left me with the same battery though, and its back to the way it was. Battery last about a week and my antenna strength is back to four bars. I don't know if it was the phone or the new ROM update. I'm scared to update the ROM to the new phone now though.

Guest Loki4
I know this is an old topic, but after I updated mine, that the battery life and GSM antenna strength decreased. I got a replacement phone from Cingular (ATT) with the old orginal ROM, left me with the same battery though, and its back to the way it was. Battery last about a week and my antenna strength is back to four bars. I don't know if it was the phone or the new ROM update. I'm scared to update the ROM to the new phone now though.

Honestly, I (as of this writing) have not seen any noticable changes in antenna strength. It works the same for me. Battery life, well, I use a lot of the EDGE stuff (its set to "always on") and I found my battery life did decreased a bit. A little bit, not a lot mind you. My average charging time is around every two days. Used to be two and a half to three days.

By the way, did you make sure your data connection wasn't set to "always on" when you finished the upgrade?? THAT (and Bluetooth) really effects your battery life.

I look at it this way: Cingular (ATT, whatever) had some software installed that in my opinion should have never been installed in this phone with this upgrade anyway. The MobiTV, XM Radio and Billboard crapware. Stuff like that should be restricted to 3G type products. I did the trial of the MobiTV and thought it was ok, but I don't think I should pay 10 bucks a month for it, do you?? Anyway, I think because of the extra software, it may effect the battery life. Even if you don't use it. I may be way off on this, but other than that all I can say is maybe you got a defective phone to start with OR it may be the battery that's been defective all along. Who knows?

Honestly, I still like my 3125. The form factor for me is killer. The only thing that would made it the ultimate device for me is if it came with the 3G instead of the EDGE AND a better camera. So, I'm waiting on the HTC Kaiser to be released here in the states.

Good luck on your decision to upgrade again. Remember: (this is mostly for those that are reading this and own a non-3125 Star Trek): The ROM was built for the Cingular (ATT) 3125. It does update needed items for the phone to fucntion correctly. (Mostly the Daylight Saving crap.) It does stick you with three pieces of software you will probably never use and takes up space on your phone. As of this writing, I haven't had any major issues with it.

One big thing that I have not mentioned before: it takes longer for the phone to "boot up". At times, that is a pain in the ass. Especially, when I'm in a hurry. But that is only my personal real peeve with it.

Guest ziggies

I've had a number of phones over the years, (and like you) --- it's a killer combo of things phone ;)

I also wish it had Wi-Fi and a better camera ------ the mem card is also in a hard to remove place.

I like it better than my BJ, I guess i'm a flip-phone nut. :P :)

-Zig

Honestly, I (as of this writing) have not seen any noticable changes in antenna strength. It works the same for me. Battery life, well, I use a lot of the EDGE stuff (its set to "always on") and I found my battery life did decreased a bit. A little bit, not a lot mind you. My average charging time is around every two days. Used to be two and a half to three days.

By the way, did you make sure your data connection wasn't set to "always on" when you finished the upgrade?? THAT (and Bluetooth) really effects your battery life.

I look at it this way: Cingular (ATT, whatever) had some software installed that in my opinion should have never been installed in this phone with this upgrade anyway. The MobiTV, XM Radio and Billboard crapware. Stuff like that should be restricted to 3G type products. I did the trial of the MobiTV and thought it was ok, but I don't think I should pay 10 bucks a month for it, do you?? Anyway, I think because of the extra software, it may effect the battery life. Even if you don't use it. I may be way off on this, but other than that all I can say is maybe you got a defective phone to start with OR it may be the battery that's been defective all along. Who knows?

Honestly, I still like my 3125. The form factor for me is killer. The only thing that would made it the ultimate device for me is if it came with the 3G instead of the EDGE AND a better camera. So, I'm waiting on the HTC Kaiser to be released here in the states.

Good luck on your decision to upgrade again. Remember: (this is mostly for those that are reading this and own a non-3125 Star Trek): The ROM was built for the Cingular (ATT) 3125. It does update needed items for the phone to fucntion correctly. (Mostly the Daylight Saving crap.) It does stick you with three pieces of software you will probably never use and takes up space on your phone. As of this writing, I haven't had any major issues with it.

One big thing that I have not mentioned before: it takes longer for the phone to "boot up". At times, that is a pain in the ass. Especially, when I'm in a hurry. But that is only my personal real peeve with it.

Guest Loki4
I've had a number of phones over the years, (and like you) --- it's a killer combo of things phone B)

I also wish it had Wi-Fi and a better camera ------ the mem card is also in a hard to remove place.

I like it better than my BJ, I guess i'm a flip-phone nut. :D :D

-Zig

Yeah, the Blackjack came out about a couple of months after I grabbed one of the first 3125. And the latest Palm Treo a little while after THAT.

(Note to AT&T: Why in the #$@!!! does it take you up to a year to clear a phone on your network?!?!?!? GEEZ!!! Repeat after me: the iPhone is crap. The iPhone is crap.) B) And, in its present form, the iPhone IS crap. But I digress.

If my old phone didn't expire for a couple of more months, I would had been a BJ owner, also. But some of the internals in the 3125 is superior to the BJ, so I'm not complaining. It's funny, but I totally forgot about the mem card. I bought one a week after I got the phone and except when I upgraded the ROM a couple of months ago, never took it out. But, you're right. It is a pain in the ass to get to.

Wi-Fi...well, I prefer the 3G. There are not much WiFi spots around here, and I do not have my personal WiFi hooked up yet. 3G in tri-mode would be perfect.

And as for the camera, the phones that the carriers push on us here in the USA are just #%@! retarded as far as the camera is concerned. I would like to find the people that decide which phones to push on us (not just on the camera issue, but ALL issues), and, as Eric Cartman would say, "KICK 'EM SQUARE IN THE NUTS!!!" :P And that also goes for the team that developed that birth defect they call an iPhone. ;) Jesus...but again, I digress.

Here's is the ultimate for me: Windows Mobile, flip form factor, tri-band 3G, quad GSM, TWO cameras for video conferencing, (one in the order of 3 to 5 megapixels), mem slot that is easily accessible, a nice big ROM (like 256 megs, at least) to load in your 3rd party software and stuff, about 125 megs of RAM and a nice display. Something better than QVGA, like OLED or something. Whatever. Oh, and the battery life has be damn good.

But, after seeing the current and future crop of phones to come, I doubt I'll see that. The exception being the HTC Kaiser. Hope I can afford it, when it comes out. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ironman273

I went to update my 3125 and couldn't get it to detect after it booted back into flash mode (3 color). I've heard problems flashing ROMs in Vista. Is that the problem? It originally detected the phone fine, grabbed the version from it but won't detect it after the phone reboots to flash.