Samsung i600 WM6 upgrade-- Will it happen ??

Guest ivonovi

Guest ivonovi

Hola...i know there is a thread which talks about the proposed upgrade for Cingular users, but i am at a decision point on whether i buy a Samsung branded i600 or not.

To be quite honest the WM6 upgrade would be the deal maker, because i really dont want to invest that kind of money on something which has already been superceeded (that is wm5).

So guys anything you've got on whether the upgrade would happen or not..would be appreciated..

Guest chucky.egg

Nothing announced yet, but there are other WM6 updates coming out so it is possible.

The benefits of WM6 are mainly Pocket Outlook and Office as far as I can see - and some of the benefits of Outlook only come in when you have an Exchange 2007 server to connect to. Aside from that the re-sale value of a WM6 device will almost certainly be higher.

What are you looking for?

If having the latest OS (regardless of features, and for the sake of having the latest OS) is that important to you I would look at other devices.

Guest ivonovi

hey chucky..that was quick...well to be quite honest it is the form factor of Samsung that makes it so compelling. However apart from the point syo u have mentioned, i believe WM6 has voice dialing standard, which i believe the i600 currently does not have.

Apart from that the HTC calvalier is not going to happen...so that is out. I had checked out the imate JaQ3 and the Jaq4 and the build quality and size was terrible...

And as you've mentioned WM6 gives better access to office even on a WM standard build...something not available on the WM5 standard or smartphone build ( am currently using the imate sp5)..

My ffear is that i go and buy the i600 and Samsung come up with an i620...that would be a bummer...

Guest chucky.egg

The form factor is great.

The I600 doesn't have the capacity for voice dialling as I understand it, so even adding WM6 wont fix that.

I thought the Cavalier was coming out as a Dopod handset? Check the News posts, I'm sure I read about it a couple of weeks ago.

Office apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) are unofficially available for WM5 - there's a link on Tech[dor]Blog:

http://thinkabdul.com/2007/05/05/download-...50-smartphones/

I'm not clear on whether it's legitimate/legal (I suspect not TBH), but I've installed it on a device to see how usable it is prior to selecting the next set of devices for the company.

I'd also doubt that Office will work well (if at all) on an SP5 because of the screen and keypad

Guest ivonovi

The office apps does look good..but you are right wont be much use with the SP5. Yep the dopod is launching the cavalier, however HTC would not be launching it or supporting it in the UK...so that rules that out..

I guess it would be matter of wait and watch for me.

Not having voice dial would be another bummer...though am sure there must be third party apps that should be able to fix that...

I use the phone on the road a lot (handsfree honest) so it's quite key to be able to dial without touching the phone...

The form factor is great.

The I600 doesn't have the capacity for voice dialling as I understand it, so even adding WM6 wont fix that.

I'm not sure what you mean but I use voice dialing with the SGH-i600 with Voice Command. It has also another built-in voice dialing app.

As for the WM6 upgrade, up until recently Samsung (Germany) was always responding to requests asking for a WM6 upgrade that they will not offer it. In some responses they mentioned an upcoming SGH-i620 with WM6.

But this week some people reported that they received a response from Samsung (Germany) that they will offer a WM6 upgrade. I suggest everybody interested in the upgrade keeps asking Samsung . :rolleyes:

Guest ivonovi

Aha..the SGH-i620..another opportunity to rake in the bucks for Samsung.....to hell with the existing customers. HTC has been very good and they would be releasing WM6 updates for all their phones which are capable of running it.

I guess, as for me, i will have to just wait and watch...before i spend my hard earned cash on any phone :rolleyes:

Guest ivonovi

Hey Loki...thanks for the update...i did try the link..didnt have anything on it regarding the upgrade though :rolleyes:

Guest loki_f

The evidence is entirely anecdotal. My german isn't what it once was, but as far as I understand some guy wrote an e-mail to Samsung Germany asking about the upgrade and their response was it would appear on that page when it was available (which is soon, apparently).

Guest ivonovi

Hi guys....my sp5 was dying on me...the joystick had given up ....so went and bought the i600. Expansys...305 quid delivered..and it came with an extra larger battery and a seperate back cover to accomodate the battery.

Now i just hope they get a WM6 upgrade going soon. This product's been available for less than a quarter now and is just coming to Orange..>Samsung cant possibly have a product life of 6 months for a phone...so fingers crossed

That doesn't make much sense... If there will be an update, it should end up here:

http://de.samsungmobile.com/wcms/support/s...0&swType=SW

The page quoted on msmobiles and smartphone web is for WAP/MMS/Browser carrier settings.

This is the link Samsung Germany points you to monitor when you ask them about the WM6 upgrade for the i600. It's not only one person who asked but many people. We asked people to ask Samsung for the WM6 upgrade in some forums. :rolleyes: So Samsung got the link wrong in their e-mails but they are promising now a WM6 upgrade to everybody who is asking.