Nokia N95 GPS hack

Guest Simon Hackett

Guest Simon Hackett

having just shelled out a lot of money on an N95, I have to pay for the navigation feature - however I'm told there's a hack to unlock this.... anyone know where it is?

Guest Confucious

This is a Windows Mobile forum, The Nokia runs Stmbian - try allaboutsymbian.com....

or get yourself a real SmartPhoine :rolleyes:

Guest dijital

i never liked symbian, but the n95 is an amazing phone, if it was thinner i would have dumped windows mobile as soon as the n95 was released.

Guest Samsonite
i never liked symbian, but the n95 is an amazing phone, if it was thinner i would have dumped windows mobile as soon as the n95 was released.

it was on the list for me too... glad i never went for one tho. A mate did and when i had a play i was disappointed with the build quality and sluggish menus (even more so than the Vox i DID get!!) Couple that with the lack of Outlook integration and that was that..

I use a TomTom for GPS and 3G data is no real benefit to me just yet. Maybe the next 18months will see the 3G technology mature properly...

and just getting back on topic.. Does the question mean the GPS functionality on the N95 is hamstrung somehow? surely all it needs is a one off payment for a SatNav product and you're away?

Guest Confucious

3G technology works fine - what do you mean

Maybe the next 18months will see the 3G technology mature properly...
3.5G is even better :rolleyes:

As for the GPS, preumeably he is referring to Orange's online system - but even if he was running WM he wouldn't get an answer here because it is against forum rules to discuss hacking.

Guest Samsonite
3G technology works fine - what do you mean 3.5G is even better :P

things like having a radio stack that can handle swapping between UMTS and GSM seamlessly! cant depend on the networks to give a decent level of coverage...

also - and i may be out of date with this perception - isnt the 3G radio chipset separate to the main processor in the vast majority of devices leading to battery issues amongst other things i dont understand?

HSDPA is all well and good but the key point with a fast datarate is only a benefit if you have something to put over it!! yes i know we can all Slingbox ourselves into oblivion but beyond that, how much faster do you want e-mails from the office to get to you! :rolleyes:

and as for the original Q, i dont know anything about the O mapping system so have to walk away from that - hack or not, i havent a clue!!! :D

Guest Samsonite
emails? you not heard of this internet thingy? HSDPA makes it truly accesable.

swinging right off topic here but...

the big problem with any new technology is making a benefit from the feature. Sure, HSDPA and HSUPA offer excellent speeds of data transfer but to what end? an e-mail without an attachment is gonna be about 20-30kb. with an attachment, i agree, is the area of concern but even with a screen the size of the M5000, it makes real world use of PDFs and PPTs still a real niche requirement - how many people absolutley need that document on the go to reference and show others... i would hazard a guess that it aint that many. We, perhaps, have a distorted view of the world in this forum as we have most of that niche among us.

surfing t'internet? yes yes, BBC loads mighty quick and the other *ahem* 'uses' of the internet for large file transfers do benefit from faster than GPRS datarates but again, hi-speed pr0n surfing on the train is still a weak argument for the 3.75G technology rollout! :P :rolleyes:

the networks are all struggling with methods of re-couping the costs of rolling out the next generation datanetworks because the masses dont have anything to dowith it yet! I can see that VoIP and Video services will begin to seep into more common use and perhaps the fixed line Broadband suppliers are keeping a weather eye on the HSDPA provison - maybe a new generation of people simply wont have a fixed line into their house in the future but we certainly arent there yet.

unfortunately, the old anaology of build more roads and you get more cars has not borne out for HSDPA - much to chagrin of the networks. i'm sure they thought that if they simply said you have hundreds of kilobits/sec available people would throw themselves down and praise the technological revolution!!! :D it offers an amazing service in terms of datarate but how many services are queueing up to take advantage of it? is there a single application that simply will not work without a 1MBit downstream available?

in about a year to 18 months, the landscape will be different. most devices will be 3g as a standard offerring and then the locked down walled gardens of the networks will probably start to make a name for themsleves in terms of an entertainment portal because the video aspect will be able to take advantage of the 384kbit/s UMTS offers; then perhaps the Youtube generation will start to use the technology and let Vodafone et al to start making some return on their investment.

now if that little rant doesnt kill this thread, gawd knows what will!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Edited by Samsonite

Guest Confucious

The Universal had a good secreen and with internet browsing and Hubdog I regularly clocked up over 400Mb a month and so did my brother on his Hermes. Unlimited data on W'n'W is great.

I now have an Ameo - and the screen on that is amaising! I've just upgraded to W'n'W Pro (£12.50/month) so I can make use of the streamoing app that is free from MS for 6 months, together with IM, TV from T-Mob etc. I can only see my data usage going up!

I use it and I love it :rolleyes: