Paul's guide to... changing the HTC Touch / T-Mobile Wing PagePool size

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest E-man

from step 3:

"- Open a command prompt at your new directory"

how do i open the command prompt? i tried to open from my computer, but it wouldn't let me open from my mobile phone. I'm lost here. i didn't even make it through the first step. :-p or was i supposed to open it directly from my phone? sorry if you could help me just there i think i can manage the rest.

Guest paul m
from step 3:

"- Open a command prompt at your new directory"

how do i open the command prompt? i tried to open from my computer, but it wouldn't let me open from my mobile phone. I'm lost here. i didn't even make it through the first step. :-p or was i supposed to open it directly from my phone? sorry if you could help me just there i think i can manage the rest.

OK, So here's the deal:

You have to follow Paul's instructions to the letter, one line at a time as I did this yesterday to my t-mobile wing and it worked great. but if you dont follow it you will have problems...

I'm going to try to shed some light (for the ones that are new to this) about the instructions that Paul presented...

USE THESE INSTRUCTIONS AS AN ADDITIONAL HELP THE THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT PAUL PRESENTED EARLIER. This is to make it easier for some of you that are newer to this.

NOTE: Always ignore the " marks.. type the command just like it is between the " marks

So, first things first:

1. Install the permissions CAB to your device

a. you have to have your phone connected throught the whole time to your computer using the USB cable

b. you have to make sure the Active sync software is installed and working properly on your computer (meaning you can sync with your phone).

c. copy the file to your phone and run it from your phone so that it installs to the phone.

2. Create a directory and download itsutils

a. Create a directory on your computer on the desktop. Name it PAGEPOOL

b. Donload itsutils from the link in paul's instructions (step 2) to your desktop

c. open the zip file and copy the contents (38 files) to the PAGEPOOL directory

3. Extract the ROM from your device

a. open the PAGEPOOL folder and in the address bar at the top click on the path to highlight it and then Right click and choose copy from

from the menu that pops up. (this will copy the path of the PAGEPOOL folder to your clipboard.

in my case its this (C:\Documents and Settings\paul\Desktop\pagepool )

b. Now, go to Start, Run, and type in CMD then hit enter (this will open your command prompt - black screen)

c. in this black screen type "CD " (and note there is a space after the CD) then right click the black screen and choose paste.

you should see the whole path pasted after the "CD " like this "CD C:\Documents and Settings\paul\Desktop\pagepool"

and you can see that the space is still there between the CD and C:\

d. now, hit enter and you will be at the correct prompt. in my case "C:\Documents and Settings\paul\Desktop\pagepool"

e. type "PDOCREAD -L" This will give you and output on the screen.. look for the line that says the larger number with M 51.2 M in my case and

then its followed by a (0xAAAAAAA). Make note of that hex number and use it in the next step

f. type "PDOCREAD 0 0x7777777 PART02.DUMP" Make sure to substitute your 0x7777777 with information found in the previous screen 0xAAAAAA

Note: This will take a few good minutes.. in my case about 10-15 minutes.

4. Run the T mobileWingPagePool 4 mb or 6 mb to replace step 4 in Paul's original instructions: and i quote him:

"

Here's a new idea for the Wing users... rather than doing the HexEdit thing, you can apply one of these patchers below to your part02.dump file - to do the edit for you - then just flash back. To use, copy to the same directory as your raw file and run!

So, THESE PATCHERS REPLACE STEP 4, note that they overwrite the part02.dump rather than creating a new file, so when you flash back you flash the part02.dump filename.

Let me know how it works out :)

P

PS These patchers have CRC checking enabled, so should be very safe!

Attached File(s) zip.gif T_MobileWingPagePool4MB.exe ( 4.31k ) Number of downloads: 50

zip.gif T_MobileWingPagePool6MB.exe ( 4.31k ) Number of downloads: 42"

5. Flashing your edited dump back to the device.

a. Make sure you're still connected with the cable from the phone to the computer

b. Go to the communication manager on your phone and turn off the phone option to put the phone in "Flight mode"

c. In the command prompt that you had opened type "PDOCWRITE PART02.DUMP"

NOTE: this will take about 10-15 minutes so have patience. If you get any errors, try it again with the same command. I got 2 errors and the third time it worked all the way through even thought i didnt mistype it or anything else.. Not sure why but it worked for me.

6. Soft reset the phone by using the stylus into the side of the phone next to the volume keys.. Wait for it to restart and you should be good.

Guest 201reyes

Thx P, finally decided to run w/ the big dogs and followed your post to the T, all good, 24mb @ boot. Wing can finally fly!

Guest Ayodeji13

how long is the write supposed to take? mine has been running for >30mins now.... I hope i haven't bricked my device. in my WMDC (running vista) it has device status as disconnected, though i havne't disconnected the deviceout of fear that that it's still writing...

Guest solobulio

is there a way to make the pagepool change kind of like a registry edit? when im poking around the registry I see there is a folder for a memory card named flash and it is set to mount as hidden. couldn't one just "unhide" the file and perform the pagepool mod using total commander....just a thought. im too afraid to try I bricked my first wing after it fell off the couch when I fell asleep at 3am while waiting for procread to finish.

Guest lrbh

I have a question:

If a Touch user with Norwegian ROM dumps his ROM with your guide, would I be able to flash my UK Touch with his ROM dump without problems ?

Guest machaco
paaaaaaaul!!! come back from holiday!! i want those memory tweaks :)

greets

well with pagepool change:

Total: 51.92mb

In Use: 28.27mb

Free: 23.65mb :P

thats nice!!

Guest kerrkj

Perfect! This now the device that I wanted (to replace my well worn Wizard). 10Mb free after boot before, now 19.9. Using the 6Mb page pool option

I was concerned at first that my offset was pretty significantly different then yours so I triple checked, did it the change manually then also used the patch executable to double check them against each other before rewriting the ROM.

Why TMO USA shipped them with the page pool set this high I'll never know, but on my device, after a day or two of use I couldn't even open the camera (not enough memory) even with no other applications open at all. The only way to get the camera app to launch was to soft reset, ugh.

Thanks!!!!

Guest surfkay

Great guide !

I pushed my Free-Mem up to 26,88 MB on my O2 XDA Terra (HTC Herald). :)

I've installed on top of the clean WM6:

SKTools (Storage Card)

Extended System OneBridge

Microsoft Reader (Storage Card)

SPB GPRS Monitor

ICQ (Storage Card)

O2 Comcenter

It's incredible. I reduced the pagepool via this guide to 4 MB and used SKTools to optimize the system.

The system is running well and stable. And i think it's running a little bit faster than before.

So, thanks for your work paul.

Guest sannyd

i am on the command prompt and after i do the "pdocread -l"

i get

error: cerapiinit failed

anyone else get this? and know how to make it work?

i am on windows vista ultimate with direct usb cable to my tmobile wing.

it also is connected to WMDC.

thank you.

sanny

Edited by sannyd

Guest Doctor Gonzo

Dood, where do I send beer to? Thanks for the tutorial and patch, went with the 6mb deal and this thing's flyin. Also ran it on my homie's wing too. He says thanks

-peace

Guest sannyd
i am on the command prompt and after i do the "pdocread -l"

i get

error: cerapiinit failed

anyone else get this? and know how to make it work?

i am on windows vista ultimate with direct usb cable to my tmobile wing.

it also is connected to WMDC.

thank you.

sanny

ok after 2 days of trying to get it to work on two vista machines to no avail.... i borrowed my roomates xp laptop and it seems to be working fine so far. i am writing back to the phone right now. i assume all will be ok since i used paul's patch .exe file. to patch the file.

thanks alot paul! leave ur paypal email. ill send some USD as a donation to your cause.

sanny

Guest maciekish

Successfully changed on a HTC P3450 a moment ago. Reading of about 50mb took around 2 minutes and flashing more than 5min.. what a nailbiter.. man!!!

Anyway, i changed the pool to 4 mb from 12mb and the device went from 15,5mb free RAM to 27,32mb free :)

The offset in my P4350 was 003EF8BC.

Thans for the guide!

Guest jack6

I used your WIng patch exe file and successfully updated the pagepool.

Recommendation for users: while writing, please try to close all other apps in desktop. It took me about 20 mins becoz i was running many apps.

Paul Thanks for coming up with such a great patch!!

Guest ryceone

Hello all. First time poster. I found this thread at xda-developers.com and couldn't resist. So I did it before I read the rest of the thread and found the auto patchers. I thought I had done everything to spec, but alas my Wing starts up gets to the Windows Mobile screen and then just reboots and it keeps doing so.

So I guess I bricked my phone. Should I just bring it in for repairs or warranty exchange?

Thanks.

Guest Paul (MVP)

ryceone, yep, you've broken something somewhere :)

Your only option is to send it in for repair, or wait for a Wing RUU (Rom Update) to appear.

P

Guest fluxc
Step 3: Extract the ROM from your device

We're now going to extract the ROM from your device. This is a completely safe operation, so don't panic yet :) Take the following steps...

- Ensure device is connected to PC and Activesync'd / WMDC'd

- Open a command prompt at your new directory

- Type 'pdocread -l' (minus the quotes of course)

Question : how do i open a command prompt ?