The official HTC Kaiser (P4550) 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
Thanks Paul for this good Q&A session!

May I know is there a keyboard backlight? Does it auto turn on when sensing darkness or need any button clicks? What is the colour of the light??

Thanks!

There is a white keyboard backlight with a light sensor.

P

Guest mcq3000

can anyone quickly summarize how exactly one uses macro and/or autofocus mode with these phones. I have a HTC trinity and I have never been able to take closeup pics. How exactly is it done?

Guest whoster69

Nice! I can't wait to hear more! I'm trying to decide between this and the HTC Advantage.

Any idea when AT&T will get it?

Edited by whoster69

Guest mikeeey

so does it take sharp pictures fast? or can it easily blur and require keeping you hand still for a few seconds before it takes the picture? im assuming it can take sharp pictures fast from the qualcomm 7200 chip.

Guest soxvirus

great review Paul!

i'd like to see more pictures/videos taken with the kaiser.

this will 100% be my next phone. i can't believe those people crazy bout the iphone. it doesn't even compare to the kaiser.

i can't wait till it appears on the market.

Edited by soxvirus

Guest chazdent

So with the sliding keyboard and the thumbwheel...any idea how useable it'll be for left handers? My Wizard is fine but I'm curious about the Kaiser.

Cheers,

Charlie

Guest anacreontef2804

Hi please could you tell me how good video recording is on this unit..am right in saying 30fps

thanks Franco

Guest smex182

so here is a dump question. can you do video conference calling with these phones? I mean if both parties have a kaiser or similar equiped phone would you be able to do video calls?

Guest Bob Nelson

29-Jun-2007_kaiser.jpg

It's here! It's here! It's here! :) (Na Na Na Na Naa) :D

It's the HTC Kaiser, HTC's new mega Pocket PC due for release around August this year. For me this device logical culmination of a Pocket PC development over the last few years... I am now in posession (loan!) of a HTC Kaiser, with it's Qualcomm 7200 processor, 3MP AUTOFOCUS camera, WiFi, GPS and QWERTY sprung slider... it's beautiful ;)

I've recently been using a T-Mobile Wing, and although it's a GREAT device, i've been thinking 'every day I love you less and less' due to the lack of GPS and the 200MHz TI OMAP that just sometimes doesn't make the grade. 3G too, 'I thought I can do without you', but I can't. Is the Kaiser the answer?

First impressions... Oh my god!

The device arrived, in time honoured tradition for HTC prototypes, in a white box. But then you don't need a fancy box when what's inside is as stunning as the Kaiser. It's substantially smaller than the TYTN (and with it's new Qualcomm 7200 chipset, hopefully the heat dies down during 3G use). It's has a functional yet attractive design, with an abundance of hardware buttons and the great tilting screen. As well as the Start, OK, Soft Keys, Bright Green and Ruby Red keys, the front face includes dedicated PIE and Mail keys.

Finally, the Kaiser is the device that proves you can have it all... in a compact form factor!

It's difficult to find any faults on this prototype at this stage... ExtUSB means no regular headphone port (as is the modern way for HTC devices) and the shiny black back a-la-P3600 is a fingerprint magnet but hey, I can cope.

Do I think the Kaiser will be a success when it launches from HTC, T-Mobile, AT&T (and probably everyone else) later this year? Oh yes, I predict a riot! :D

HTC... you've made my dream device at last and by comparison everything is average nowadays. Kudos to you :P

Got questions? Ask away (although I have limited connectivity for the next fortnight, so expect slow replies!)

P

Guest GordonTGopher
so here is a dump question. can you do video conference calling with these phones? I mean if both parties have a kaiser or similar equiped phone would you be able to do video calls?

As long as your network supports it!

Guest lozzd

I need to know when/if O2 UK get this device. I've been waiting for it since like March! I was due for an upgrade ages ago! Any idea if O2 will take it? I guess the timing will be much the same (august/september)

Where are you going on holiday? Have a good one! :)

Guest PerlAddict
So, did i miss something? This is going to be a ppc, but no touch screen?

I believe he meant it wouldn't have an "Touch" features akin to the "TouchFLO" phone that was just released.

Paul, any hope for this coming out in a CDMA version, in your opinion? I've been holding out for this phone for a while, but now that the HTC Mogul has been released on Sprint, I really don't want to wait another year for a PPC phone. I'm hoping the HTC Shift will be available for Sprint's networks when it's released, but even then, I still need a device that's primarily a phone.

Also, what kind of functionality does that front-facing VGA camera actually provide? Are there any Pocket PC apps out there that will provide two-way video streaming? One of the press shots I originally saw of the Kaiser showed it with the call screen up, and two picures up, presumeably denoting two-way video calling. That seems like it would be more of a network-supported option like mentioned above, but it seems like third-party video streaming apps just connected over EVDO could provide video-calling-like services if any such programs actually exist.

I'm a little bummed the unit doesn't have the smooth edges like I originally saw on Engadget (grats on the mention there, btw ... that's what led me here. :) ), and I honestly like the design of the Mogul a tad bit more as far as the front face goes, but if there's a chance for two-way video calling, that (combined with the built-in GPS and 128MB RAM) is a pretty big deciding factor for me to hold out.

Thanks for any information, and much appreciation for putting up the review. You lucky, lucky man. :P

- Dave

Edited by PerlAddict