The official HTC Kaiser (P4550) 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mikeeey
what are the chances of this being released for Verizon in the states? I love the camera! it looks great!

sry but i highly doubt it will be for verizon. this device was ment to be a replacement for the Hermes/8525 for the companies that supported the hermes/8525.

Guest Swampie

Any hint about it coming on T-Mobile UK? I'm due an upgrade (18 month) in late August and want to replace my Vario with one of these - otherwise it'll be the Vario II, which is getting a bit long in the tooth now, considering it'll be another 18 months before I get another device.

Guest alfakilocharlie

I don't think the Kaiser would be able to take pics of the individual droplets (unless the bathroom or flash is bright). the k790i can take it because its xenon flash is bright and allows the camera to use a fast shutter speed.

Guest toon9

Eveything about the Kaiser seems to be very positive...........but to make it the "killer" device we all deserve it will have to be able to uncover the mystery that is the disappearance of mobile modaco!!!!

Guest dgduris

WOW! Finally a proper replacement for my Psion Series 5mx! :)

Who would have thought it would be a WM machine?

Hey Paul, can you tell me if WM6 will play MP3 files for alarms and if it will read them from the memory card or do they still have to be in the phone's memory like on my 8525 (not that the Kaiser doesn't have3 plenty of memory to go around)?

Also, any issues with the phone suddenly not being able to read the mem card as happens with my 8525?

Oh! Yeah! SWEET Mazda!

Thanks,

Richard

Guest mikeeey
WOW! Finally a proper replacement for my Psion Series 5mx! :)

Who would have thought it would be a WM machine?

Hey Paul, can you tell me if WM6 will play MP3 files for alarms and if it will read them from the memory card or do they still have to be in the phone's memory like on my 8525 (not that the Kaiser doesn't have3 plenty of memory to go around)?

Also, any issues with the phone suddenly not being able to read the mem card as happens with my 8525?

Oh! Yeah! SWEET Mazda!

Thanks,

Richard

even my t-mobile sda (wm5) can play mp3 files from the storage card as a ringtone or alarm. im sure the kaiser (wm6) can do the same thing. you must have your files in the storage card my documents

Guest geordiekid

Any word on what networks are taking this in the UK??

It's a contract breaker for me, this phone... and so I need to know soon!

Guest RickDawson
Any word on what networks are taking this in the UK??

It's a contract breaker for me, this phone... and so I need to know soon!

I'd like to know also...

Guest A Shiny Demon

I'm eligible for a phone upgrade with AT&T August 25th, and desperately need one as my semi-current Samsung died just this week and I'm currently on an old POS that lacks even an external screen. Amazon currently has the AT&T 8525 (HTC Hermes) for $150 with a 2-year contract. Being a gadget guy, I really, really want the Kaiser, but I don't want to pay too much and can live with the 8525. Will the Amazon deal disappear the day the Kaiser comes out, and if so, do you think that the Kaiser will get a similar deal?

Guest Webreaper
Will the Amazon deal disappear the day the Kaiser comes out, and if so, do you think that the Kaiser will get a similar deal?

Is this a rhetorical question? If not, can whoever answers it please tell me the winning lottery numbers for next Saturday? :)

Guest A Shiny Demon
Is this a rhetorical question? If not, can whoever answers it please tell me the winning lottery numbers for next Saturday? :)

Yeah, I figured the odds of getting an answer were pretty low, but I had to ask. I guess we wait...

I was hoping that someone who carefully watches the smartphone business would know whether or not this is the way things are typically done. Are older phones generally forsaken by the carriers the moment the next version comes out, or do people still get a shot at the (hopefully) cheaper phone for a few weeks?

Oh, and the winning lottery number is 5.

Edited by A Shiny Demon

Guest Kausor

Hello Paul,

Does the Kaiser have a light function?

I assume it has a flash function for taking photos - but does it have a general light function as the TyTn/Vario II does?

Thanks

Guest mikeeey
Hello Paul,

Does the Kaiser have a light function?

I assume it has a flash function for taking photos - but does it have a general light function as the TyTn/Vario II does?

Thanks

it has no flash, but the lighting is great! take a look at page 1 post #11.

that picture was taken in a VERY low light room. i assume if you tried to take that the same picture on a tornado it would be so dark you could hardly tell what the picture even was. :)

o yea, and night mode wasnt used in that picture either. :P

Edited by mikeeey

Guest A Shiny Demon

In the review, Paul mentioned that there is a connector on the back for a GPS or GSM antenna. Would that also possibly function as a jack for an external WiFi antenna, and if so, what kind of connector is it? I might just try some wardriving with this thing, that could be interesting.

Guest bugeyes

i spoke to my local t mobile uk store today and the assistant said the touch would be out by the middle to of july, and the mda vario 3 (kaiser) would be around the same time!!!

perfect for my upgrade!!! :)

Guest Skeese
I need to know when/if O2 UK get this device. I've been waiting for it since like March! I was due for an upgrade ages ago! Any idea if O2 will take it? I guess the timing will be much the same (august/september)

I doubt o2 will take on this device soon, they practically just released the o2 trion (in the UK)...

I had a few Kaisers that I got today and guess what they all had Tmobile roms still in the beta stages but the roms are great a lot better than the first ones. They have all got the pink and white custom screens very similar to the Vario II, Still very earlie. I am telling you when tmobile release this there first batch will sell out within the first few hours.

Tmobile - Vodaphone are the ones which should get the device first.

Orange - o2 are yet confirm.

Edited by Guest

Guest wi11

Hmm, does anyone have any tips on how to get one from the first batch released? Would it be an idea to go to the local T-mobile shop and promise a £20 'bonus' for an employee there for putting one of the first aside for me? Or will they just do that anyway if you ask?

Guest mikeeey
I had a few Kaisers that I got today and guess what they all had Tmobile roms still in the beta stages but the roms are great a lot better than the first ones. They have all got the pink and white custom screens very similar to the Vario II, Still very earlie. I am telling you when tmobile release this there first batch will sell out within the first few hours.

Tmobile - Vodaphone are the ones which should get the device first.

Orange - o2 are yet confirm.

what about cingular? wont they get it first before t-mobile UK does?

what about cingular? wont they get it first before t-mobile UK does?

mikeeey I am from the UK lol,

The way things are going for the USA I think they may be released there after the UK , The UK are pushing for 3G handsets more and more now. All the Tmobile reps I speak to are all waiting for

the Kaiser. You should see some of the emails flying around the departments. I know the roms are being developed a lot quicker here than the USA currently.

The HTC roms a looking fantastic though Paul will tell you all about it hint hint lol :)

Guest mikeeey
mikeeey I am from the UK lol,

The way things are going for the USA I think they may be released there after the UK , The UK are pushing for 3G handsets more and more now. All the Tmobile reps I speak to are all waiting for

the Kaiser. You should see some of the emails flying around the departments. I know the roms are being developed a lot quicker here than the USA currently.

The HTC roms a looking fantastic though Paul will tell you all about it hint hint lol :)

hm, i thought i remember hearing the US will actually be getting the kaiser in August, and the UK gets it sometime after? actually yes i believe i read this on mymobile911, or perhaps it was on that hands-on video? one of the 2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

btw i just found another kaiser review on youtube!

Edited by mikeeey