Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Hightech
sorry for the bad link this is the good http://www.solopalmari.com/recensioni-hard...prima-asso.html

the review is in italian but but the images are very undestandable.cheers

Question I live in FL and I would like to buy the unlock version of the Kaiser. How easy it to config to use the internet service with AT&T which is my carrier?? Does the Kaiser config on it own or do I have to type in the access point and stuff like that in order to use the internet with AT&T????

Thank for the help..

Guest Tones@
sorry for the bad link this is the good http://www.solopalmari.com/recensioni-hard...prima-asso.html

the review is in italian but but the images are very undestandable.cheers

It looks like the TyTN II scored a lot higher in the graphics speed tests relative to the rest of the field in this review, but I don't see any comparison to the Sprint Mogul (6800), which is the main benchmark I'm curious about.

Tony

Guest Tones@

BTW - Does anyone have ANY WORD at all about the US release? The original release date was rumoured to be September 3, but I never believed that was ever going to be the case (since that's Labor Day here and I think the AT&T stores are closed that day). It also appears from everything I read that this will most likely be called the AT&T 8925 instead of the "Tilt", although everything is obviously speculation at the point.

Also, can we even BUY the unlocked TyTN II here in the USA? I thought the Qualcomm chipset was baned unless subsidized to Broadcom directly by the carriers. Is this not the case?

Tony

Guest Tones@
It's a piece of cake ;)

P

I'm a Sprint USA customer currently and I never had an unlocked phone with a SIM. Can someone describe briefly exactly how this works? Do I just get a SIM card from AT&T and put it in the phone? Is it still possible to get AT&T specific services on the phone (music, TV, etc) and firmware updates? If so, how?

Tony

Hi paul,

Concerning the GPS bug, did you notice it since the beginning with all the ROM versions ?

Unfortunately others reviews of the kaiser are also highlighting the weaker of the GPS signal reception and the lack of sensitivity compared to a SIRFstar III, even if GPS of TYTN II is still very usable in most of case and gives good results.

But as all reviews done at this time are not performed with the Final ROM, I also don't give too much importance to these results and waiting for tests with the production ROM.

In hoping like you that it is actually a bug and it will be solved by HTC in the production ROM !

Thank you very much indeed.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I don't recall seeing the bug before, only on the newest AT&T ROM (which was supposed to be final but I believe now isn't!)

The reception of the device I have found excellent, and comparable with my other SiRF III devices, so I wouldn't worry about that. This bug is completely unrelated to the reception quality.

P

Take a look at this review!

http://www.ADVERT LINK REMOVED.com/htmls/HTC-TyTN-I...r_1803-p_5.html

The photos taken with the kaiser are MUCH worse than the photos taken by Paul at modaco review... how is it possible???

don't forget that that ROM isn't final as well. If somebody will make a review with a product rom tehn you can worry. But i still don't expect a true 3mpixel piture in quality like on cameras, but same as my Nokia n93i.

Guest Kchrpm

I have to admit, now that the 8GB N95 is being Americanized and I found out that my company doesn't support WinMo push e-mail, I'm having second thoughts...

I have to admit, now that the 8GB N95 is being Americanized and I found out that my company doesn't support WinMo push e-mail, I'm having second thoughts...

I'm using Nokia Symbian since one year now but i like more my simple SE and Samsung phones than the Symbian. I suggest using WM because symbian is not enough for me. I used it to write email and make notes at the collage but with my PDA it's much easier than Symbian even with Bluetooth keyboard (Thinkoutside). In Symbian there is no normal, variable today screen like in WM and i think the touchscreen is more useable then a simple screen. Symbian don't have great navigation softs (there are some but they are sucks instead of PDA ones - IMO), don't have useable office programs. The only good is the camera (in mobile) and the browser (if we disregard of the touchscreen). I think N93i is also a good phone but i think since the Symbian doesn't have touchscreen, it's useless, my PDA always with me. And of course Nokia Symbian doesn't have virtual keyboard and if i have to write a long message i tear out my hair while i finish with it. This is my opinion.

Guest Tones@
I'm a Sprint USA customer currently and I never had an unlocked phone with a SIM. Can someone describe briefly exactly how this works? Do I just get a SIM card from AT&T and put it in the phone? Is it still possible to get AT&T specific services on the phone (music, TV, etc) and firmware updates? If so, how?

Tony

No takers on this, eh? ;)

Tony

Guest bignaz2k
No takers on this, eh? ;)

Tony

Yes, get a SIM card from AT&T and put it in. You'll have to input the GPRS settings as well if you want to use wireless internet (GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA), which you can find online.  The same goes for if you want to use T-Mobile, though you will be limited to GPRS/EDGE for data access (though you still have the option of Wi-Fi as well)

If you want the AT&T services, you probably will have to load the AT&T ROM onto the phone (unless there is a way to get the programs outside of the ROM, which I am not aware of), as the HTC ROM will not contain any of them.  Loading the AT&T ROM might also have the GPRS settings I mentioned earlier pre-set as well.

Hope this helps.

Guest frydryce

its a bummer, i just asked about this phone if i could use it at my workplace and they told me that we are not allowing any WinMo phones due to the fact that they are more virus prone as compared to PalmOS or RIM. Bastards. i'm sure plenty of companies allow WinMo without much virus problems. Our IT department is pretty weak (KPMG).

guess i'll be carrying around 2 phones =) hehehe.

its a bummer, i just asked about this phone if i could use it at my workplace and they told me that we are not allowing any WinMo phones due to the fact that they are more virus prone as compared to PalmOS or RIM. Bastards. i'm sure plenty of companies allow WinMo without much virus problems. Our IT department is pretty weak (KPMG).

Lol... there are 4-5 "viruses" (virus like code) to WM and even WM has virus checker apps.

Guest Paul (MVP)

There are NO Windows Mobile virii (?) in the wild, and not even any viable proofs of concept that i'm aware of.

There IS a Symbian virus that caused some damage, although it's debatable whether that too actually counts as a virus.

In summary, your IT department are talking out of their a***.

;)

P

In the manual it mentions installed TomTom from the Applications CD, so maybe it's not installed by default? Of course I believe you over the manual :wub: I'll have to remove the installed version so I can install my full version ;)

Edited by lozzd

Guest gregersdk

So this "Taster" Edition, it sounds like it sucks a**. If it is only possible to install 1 city to it, how about everywhere else? I guess I have to buy the full version.. But how much is that? And is it worth the money compared to free programs like Smart2Go?

Just preparing....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.