Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mikeeey

i really hope they arent taking out the gps.

i mean, they just finished a great device, and finished the rom. then right before it's about to come out, they smash it with a hammer and release it on the market. quite wonderful. ;)

i just sure hope they arent taking out the gps.

i really hope they arent taking out the gps.

i mean, they just finished a great device, and finished the rom. then right before it's about to come out, they smash it with a hammer and release it on the market. quite wonderful. ;)

i just sure hope they arent taking out the gps.

They won't take out the GPS - that would be ridiculous. Plus, software related to it was in the AT&T ROM that Paul tested.

Tony

Hey, my danish contact says, that the TyTN II (I liked Kaiser better...) will not come to TDC (Denmark's biggest provider) yet, because the software has to many errors. He says, that in the standard test, it failed 70%! Hope it's an exaggeration.. The only errors he actually told me, is that the phone dies (or turns off) if someone's calling you, while sitting on the net, and the phone will turn off and erase all personal data if lying unused for a couple of hours.. The last one I just can't believe... Hope he's only trying to scare me...

This might just be a problem with the provider / carrier specific ROM - just like AT&T in the USA seems to be having problems with their ROM. I doubt the unlocked HTC TyTN II version has these problems.

Tony

Guest onepiece
Hey Paul,

did you already test the connection between a notebook and the TyTn II?

My provider just gave me 250 instead of 30 MB for the same price each month, so i would like to know if i can use the UMTS "power" on my notebook via the TyTn II without problems (and without wires).

Special2k3

Same question....

Paul?

Anyone?

Guest Manni01
Same question....

Paul?

Anyone?

Haven't tried the Tytn II yet but my plan is to do exactly the same with my Sony TZ11, so I'm also interested in Paul's first hand experience with the beast...

In the meantime one thing you have to check is whether your notebook has BT 2.0 + ADR. Otherwise (ie with BT 1.1 or earlier) the bandwidth will be limited and you'll only get a fraction of the Tytn's power... If your notebook is 6 months old or less, you should be fine, otherwise you may have to consider an upgrade...

Next is your provider. Some like T-mob don't let you use a mobile as a modem from a laptop unless you go for the more expensive plan (plus or max). The standard webn'walk doesn't allow you to do that.

With Vodafone, you can use your phone as a modem even on PAYG or with their smaller plan (£7.50 per month). That's one of the reasons why I'm probably going to stay with Voda.

Don't know about the other networks, but it's worth checking with your provider.

Edited by Manni01

Guest gregersdk
This might just be a problem with the provider / carrier specific ROM - just like AT&T in the USA seems to be having problems with their ROM. I doubt the unlocked HTC TyTN II version has these problems.

Tony

Actually not, cause TDC is using the original ROM, so that can't be the problem... But anyways, thay won't scare me.. I'm hooked already.. Oh, and by the way, have any of you tried Smart2Go on PPC? If I get the Kaiser before going to London, it would be sweet to have it as GPS...

Guest Special2k3
Actually not, cause TDC is using the original ROM, so that can't be the problem... But anyways, thay won't scare me.. I'm hooked already.. Oh, and by the way, have any of you tried Smart2Go on PPC? If I get the Kaiser before going to London, it would be sweet to have it as GPS...

So Paul seems to use a very old Kaiser Rom, so that all the errors were not finally finished by HTC. They kept the good errors for the final ROM ;)

Special2k3

Edited by Special2k3

Guest Paul (MVP)

I don't envisage GPS being disabled, and that comment about the errors and failing tests, er, baloney ;)

I use the device day in day out and it's rock solid bar the slight GPS oddity I envisage will be fixed by release.

P

Guest gregersdk
So Paul seems to use a very old Kaiser Rom, so that all the errors were not finally finished by HTC. They kept the good errors for the final ROM ;)

Special2k3

Dindn't say that... It's just something I've heard.. But there's no word when it coming out i Denmark... And TDC apperently won't return my emails...

Guest mikeeey
I don't envisage GPS being disabled, and that comment about the errors and failing tests, er, baloney ;)

I use the device day in day out and it's rock solid bar the slight GPS oddity I envisage will be fixed by release.

P

yea i hope so, i just wonder why the device isnt released yet, if everything is done?

Guest NuShrike
... In the meantime one thing you have to check is whether your notebook has BT 2.0 + ADR. Otherwise (ie with BT 1.1 or earlier) the bandwidth will be limited and you'll only get a fraction of the Tytn's power... If your notebook is 6 months old or less, you should be fine, otherwise you may have to consider an upgrade...
Just get a new BT 2.0 usb 2.0 dongle. Much cheaper than any other upgrade.

Guest mikeeey

not the end for the tilt, they can still postpone that all they want. tomorrow is the 3rd, and stores will be closed on labor day. so i dont think wel be seeing it the day after.

Guest jim.mason
http://www.inkino.co.uk/zen/index.php?main...roducts_id=1794

This site just changed the date from Sept. 27th to Sept. 5th :D ...

The best part is that they also show 6 in stock!!! ;)

I really dont care to order from them but for me (and all of us) this is definitely a good sign... the end is near!!

John J :D

Looks promising, however when I went to the checkout to see what carriage charge they would add, I get a warning that their security certificate has been revoked :wub:

Inkino are great in my opinion. I've never ordered via the internet with them because I live and work in London and don't like waiting for the Royal Mail, so I've always been into their store on Tottenham Court Road to get my goodies.

They're extremely helpful in there, and the prices are pretty good too. Bought my Jam, SP5, and JasJar from them (and various accessories) and I can't fault them.

Guest Hightech

Paul I just want to Thank you and all the ppl in here in helping with some much info about the Kaiser that it makes the day pass by fast until this beast is release.. I wish I can buy from Modaco but I live in FLorida not the UK. But once again THanks you for the updates it does really help reading about when one is just waiting for this to be release....

I spoke to eXpansys today, and the stock will come in bit by bit, starting with a small number tomorrow! ;)

P

Tomorrow.... :wub:

Nice.......hope im included.

Edited by J273

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.