Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Hightech
Wow! I'm glad I canceled my orders with mobileplanet now.

Besides the fact that they don't really advertise that they charge tax for certain states, and never follow up on that "sign up for notification of price/status changes."

Try Sept 17 is when Mobileplanet will have Stock..

Guest burrzoo
Wow! I'm glad I canceled my orders with mobileplanet now.

Besides the fact that they don't really advertise that they charge tax for certain states, and never follow up on that "sign up for notification of price/status changes."

So what's your next plan of attack? Who are you going to order from? I hate that "tax thing' which is why I cancelled my MobilePlanet order...

Guest Hightech
So what's your next plan of attack? Who are you going to order from? I hate that "tax thing' which is why I cancelled my MobilePlanet order...

How do one knows that the tax has been added??? It is before you hit process??

Guest burrzoo
How do one knows that the tax has been added??? It is before you hit process??

I had placed a pre-order for the P4550/Kaiser/TyTn II with MobilePlanet in July and at the end of July I received an e-mail from them indicating that they would now be charging tax in California (my state) as of August 1st. They provided a link to cancel my pre-order and I did just that. Other than that you can go down the path that you stated to find out or e-mail them for the details. Usually you only get charged tax when that company has a brick and mortar building in the state. I wasn't aware that they did and I hope that this is not a sign of the times and the government gets their way with requiring tax be charged on every internet purchase. ;)

ah the hype for the iPhone was just stupid. people didnt even know why they wanted it, they only wanted it cuz it was slim and made by apple. i hate that. people thought they were getting gps and many other things the device didnt have.

I disagree pretty strongly with that. They may not have known that many other phones could so similar things, but for the most part people knew exactly what the iPhone did and how it could do it. They bought it because they loved iPods and had cellphones and wanted to have both, plus it's an effin gorgeous device that is quite simply fun to use for what it was intended for (aka light web browsing, media playback, the occasional phone call). The interface is simple, effective and fast to respond, and the screen is beautiful. Basically it makes a wonderful first impression, and for most people that's all they need from their phone. They're not like us and want tons of customizability and flexibility, they're barely going to do all the stuff shown in the 30 second commercials.

I hope to see some user reviews real soon ,,,, as i am going to be ordering the end of this month, so i hope there arnt any major bugs/issues in the batch that is being released now ... and if so will a HTC rom update be made available to fix ?

Guest NuShrike
Already hedged and pre-ordered with Elite Electronix and EGadget Depot. Whomever ships first the other doesn't get my money. :-)

EE is saying 9/6 to 9/11 and EGD says 9/11. So, roll the bones.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest zachto_man
Already hedged and pre-ordered with Elite Electronix and EGadget Depot. Whomever ships first the other doesn't get my money. :-)

EE is saying 9/6 to 9/11 and EGD says 9/11. So, roll the bones.

Where do you see EE saying 9/6 to 9/11? I look at the the site and see 9/6.

http://www.elite-electronix.com/product_in...roducts_id=1015

Thanks

Guest stanchion

Hi.. just wanted to add a "me too" for having my TyTN II shipped like 12 or 16 hours ago ... been reading this thread since I placed my pre-order with Clove Technology in early July and the anticipation just has not gotten any less as time goes by.. :-) I'm so excited to ditch three or four devices (i dont currently have a GPS) and just carry this beauty around with me... woohoo!

Edited by stanchion

Guest mikeeey
Mikeeey,

You are TOO FUNNY! This is soooooo true!! They always give me a bunch of BS. Every once in awhile you do get some tech-saavy person who doesn't try and snow you. Other than that, GOOD LUCK! I can certainly live without the "bloatware" and still use the phone on the AT&T network. I hope that my TyTn II gets shipped this Thursday. I'm so jealous with all these "Been Shipped"notices!

lol, well some of them can be pretty cool, and you can actually have a nice discussion about upcomming phones and stuff showing on pdadb. also stuff like rom upgrading. but some you try to talk to them and theyl say something along the lines of "Can I interest you in buying a new razr cell phone?"

Guest NuShrike
Where do you see EE saying 9/6 to 9/11? I look at the the site and see 9/6.

http://www.elite-electronix.com/product_in...roducts_id=1015

I called them to be sure since they have a history of not keeping their website up-to-date (like 8/22 when they were telling people first week of Sept over the phone). I think they're just covering their bums so people don't complain.

Guest Webreaper

Just ordered mine from Expansys with a Voda contract. Should be delivered tomorrow. :wub:

Asked for the Modaco bundle with it too. ;)

I need a car cradle too so I can use it for SatNav - what's the one to go for? Expansys have the ORA one on their site for £20 - is it any good?

Guest Webreaper
When I spoke to eXpansys earlier this morning, they still had a handful of units in stock!

Yeah, yesterday afternoon they said they'd kept some by for contracts in particular.

Got a link for the Brodit? I need one with a reasonable cord length for the cigarette-lighter plug, as I want to plug it in to my rear sock which is behind the centre console (between the rear footwells) and run the cable under the driver's seat to near the wing mirror. ;)

Guest Hari Ramani
Pretty much the same deal as I said earlier to Chrome Blade. T-Mobile might be a bit more helpful than other providers (they have great customer service) and help set everything up for you, but if not, you can just pop your T-Mobile SIM card in, and set up the GPRS settings (you can find them online) by yourself. But remember, you will be limited to GPRS/EDGE, since there is not 3G data on T-Mobile yet (and will be on a Kaiser unsupported frequency when it is).

Bignaz2K - why do you say that the Kaiser would not be able to use T-Mob's 3g services when they are eventually rolled out?

Guest Webreaper

Paul (et al): Couple of things worth flagging up with the Expansys contract deals.

1. The Modaco deal is not available with TyTNs bought on contracts. ;)

2. You need to give your PAC for a number-port at time-of-order, otherwise you can't transfer your number. Means I have to wait 48 hours until I get my PAC from O2. :wub: </impatient>

Guest nuttyphilt
Bignaz2K - why do you say that the Kaiser would not be able to use T-Mob's 3g services when they are eventually rolled out?

T-Mobile US are using a different 3G frequency than the rest of the world! I don't think any of the current 3G phones on the market currently support it.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul (et al): Couple of things worth flagging up with the Expansys contract deals.

1. The Modaco deal is not available with TyTNs bought on contracts. ;)

2. You need to give your PAC for a number-port at time-of-order, otherwise you can't transfer your number. Means I have to wait 48 hours until I get my PAC from O2. :wub:

That's odd, I will check that out - as I understand it the MoDaCo deal SHOULD still be available with a contract.

P

Guest Hari Ramani

I have been told that T-mob will implement 3g on UMTS with the 1700 and 2100MHz frequency. From the details available on the web.. the Kaiser supports UMTS 2100MHz. I tot that was sufficient to support T-Mob's 3g. Do you think otherwise?

Source for T-Mob frequency Plans: http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3386

I have been on T-mob for about a year now and i have no trouble with their reception and the customer service is fab. I would hate to move from them just because of this issue.

T-Mobile US are using a different 3G frequency than the rest of the world! I don't think any of the current 3G phones on the market currently support it.
Edited by Hari Ramani

Guest robot_ron2004
Is MobilePlanet the only online US retailer to offer the kaiser right now?

http://www.superiorgadgets.com/us/product_...products_id=181

US$795.00

Does anyone know a good Canadian website to buy cell phones?

Right now, it seems like Expansys Canada is the only one who has TyTN II.

http://www.superiorgadgets.com/ca/product_...products_id=224

CAD$859.99

Guest Webreaper
The MoDaCo deal IS available on an O2 or Voda contract. Confirmed with eXpansys.

I specifically asked for it when I placed my order and was told it isn't. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.