New Rom on 2125 now screen goes black on keyboard lock

Guest Julie U

Guest Julie U

Need a hand. I've had my Cingular 2125 for year and a half. Lately the performance has been degrading and I was getting out of memory errors that didn't make sense so I finally upgraded to the latest ROM a couple of days ago. Everything seems to be working well and I got all my apps back on, etc. but I have one problem I need help with.

I use my phone as my watch and my appointment reminder so I've always had it setup to keep the backlight on forever including when it's locked so I can quickly see info at a glance. This means I have to recharge every night but it works great for what I want. Unfortunately after the ROM upgrade whenever I lock the keypad (hold down end key) after 5 seconds the screen blacks out. This didn't happen before the ROM upgrade. I may have changed a registry setting before but if I did I can't find any info on it now here or elsewhere.

Does anyone know what registry setting controls the backlight when the keypad is locked?

Please help as I am very frustrated now. Thanks! Julie

Guest Snooginsguy
Need a hand. I've had my Cingular 2125 for year and a half. Lately the performance has been degrading and I was getting out of memory errors that didn't make sense so I finally upgraded to the latest ROM a couple of days ago. Everything seems to be working well and I got all my apps back on, etc. but I have one problem I need help with.

I use my phone as my watch and my appointment reminder so I've always had it setup to keep the backlight on forever including when it's locked so I can quickly see info at a glance. This means I have to recharge every night but it works great for what I want. Unfortunately after the ROM upgrade whenever I lock the keypad (hold down end key) after 5 seconds the screen blacks out. This didn't happen before the ROM upgrade. I may have changed a registry setting before but if I did I can't find any info on it now here or elsewhere.

Does anyone know what registry setting controls the backlight when the keypad is locked?

Please help as I am very frustrated now. Thanks! Julie

I honestly don't mean to sound like a smartass here, but isn't it just as effective to simply hit a key or the joystick on the phone to make the screen light back up as needed, and thereby conserving the screen life and battery power?

I don't know of a registry tweak to do this, just to make the keypad stay illuminated longer.

Guest Julie U
I honestly don't mean to sound like a smartass here, but isn't it just as effective to simply hit a key or the joystick on the phone to make the screen light back up as needed, and thereby conserving the screen life and battery power?

I don't know of a registry tweak to do this, just to make the keypad stay illuminated longer.

No worries on the question - I realize most folks would prefer longer battery power. I literally am often running to the next meeting with a laptop and other things in my hand or am typing during a meeting. I used to be able to just glance down and see the time or the next meeting time and topic with no hands needed. It sounds like a simple thing but it happens may times in the day where I need the information quickly and it's awkward to reach down and touch the phone. Plus if my next appointment has already 'dinged' but I haven't left for the meeting the reminder is still blazing away on the screen to be in my face versus me thinking about jogging the phone to make it show. Again with my schedule this is much more important to me than screen life or battery power.

This worked fine before the ROM upgrade. I wish Backlight timeout 'Never' truly meant never - I don't know why they can't use that setting for when it's locked as well. :)

Guest Snooginsguy
No worries on the question - I realize most folks would prefer longer battery power. I literally am often running to the next meeting with a laptop and other things in my hand or am typing during a meeting. I used to be able to just glance down and see the time or the next meeting time and topic with no hands needed. It sounds like a simple thing but it happens may times in the day where I need the information quickly and it's awkward to reach down and touch the phone. Plus if my next appointment has already 'dinged' but I haven't left for the meeting the reminder is still blazing away on the screen to be in my face versus me thinking about jogging the phone to make it show. Again with my schedule this is much more important to me than screen life or battery power.

This worked fine before the ROM upgrade. I wish Backlight timeout 'Never' truly meant never - I don't know why they can't use that setting for when it's locked as well. :)

Ah, that does make a bit more sense. One thing you could try:

http://www.modaco.com/downloads.html&showfile=1640

This Tornado PowerControl looks like it would keep the backlight on for you. I used it a while ago for different things, never tried a full-time backlight though.

Guest Julie U
Thanks! I'll try it!

Great tip - the app worked great! I just set all my profiles to keep the backlight on forever. I wasn't sure if it would keep it on when the keyboard was locked but it did. Everything is just how I want it now.

Thanks much!!!!