I have a Tosh G900

Guest ripnet

Guest scott_donald

someone mentioned this before but when you do a new text and type name it doesnt fill in the number...

this is real annoying...

my universal with wm6 does it!!!!

Guest ripnet
someone mentioned this before but when you do a new text and type name it doesnt fill in the number...

this is real annoying...

my universal with wm6 does it!!!!

it doesnt need to. just enter the name eg. john smith. when you send it does the lookup.if its ambigious it asks you then...

g

Guest dutchieman

Thanks for the wealth of information, ripnet! I'm considering getting a G900 myself.

What about Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking though? I want to have my laptop connect through the G900 onto UMTS/HSDPA. Does WM6 implement that correctly? I've heard WM5 had troubles in that area.

Cheers!

Guest scott_donald
it doesnt need to. just enter the name eg. john smith. when you send it does the lookup.if its ambigious it asks you then...

g

ah me dumb... never actually tried it...

Guest dutchieman
ah me dumb... never actually tried it...

Oh my... so you can't just tick receipients from a list? Seems it's going to take some getting used to the whole windows mobile experience, coming from a Symbian background myself.... ;-)

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

This is really a good phone but like most PDAs it does have a few negatives/things to be aware of.

The screen is great but WM6 is not running at native resolution, which is just as well and not a problem in itself. Do a remote desktop session at 800x480 to make use of the full resolution and everything is very sharp pixel perfect but so incredibly small it's surreal, the start button on a remote desktop is the size of an ants head. It works though and is great for system people that might find they need to remote in for a quick settings check but for extended use you will end up cross eyed with a headache and you then realise why screens this size haven't been in a rush to adopt 800x480 as standard.

Opera defaults to a zoomed in mode which makes it more readable and similar to other screens running with less native resolution but zoom out to 100% in landscape and it's great seeing a whole web page but again not completely practical at that size for lots of browsing, if you are on a shaky bus or train it's not going to be the most comfortable read.

I'd forget doing anything other than making or taking a call outside in bright day light as the screen isn't very readable being non-transreflective, and with sunshine on it, forget it. If you will want to use it outside a lot you are going to be disappointed, as what good is 800x480 pixels if you can hardly see them?

The slide out keyboard is great but I found bringing up the onscreen keyboard and using the stylus was much quicker for typing unless trying to type while on the move of course, where it would be hard to aim at the tiny on screen buttons. It's been mentioned by others (and other similar designs have the same problem), the top keys on the keyboard are very close to the top edge so your thumb/finger is blocked from being positioned right over the top row buttons. I bet it was no problem in Japan where people are generally smaller but larger hands may find this a bit irritating as you feel you are fighting to hit the top row keys.

WM6 seems pretty quick and is a joy to use. Battery life isn't great if you are using it a lot, and it can get quite warm in your hand showing it's using a lot of juice while on. You may need to charge it everyday if you use it regularly, if you use it just as phone it will easily go several days with average call lengths.

The bad, reliability for some has been very poor including me. I've lost count of the number of lockups since the 4 or 5 days I've had it. Turning off error reporting ironically seems to help stop some of the standby of death issues where it turns off but will not come on again without a reset, however it still locks up while using it far too often for a device costing this much.

Expansys has told one customer there is a faulty batch, however in another post they have said they are waiting on Toshiba to give details on the support procedure they will put in place and an indication when a ROM update will be issued to fix the lockups, so it is implied it is a hardware issue and then a software issue so no one really knows.

So the positives in my opinion:

• Great screen with high resolution.
  • Feels good in the hand, looks good.
  • Very responsive.
  • Latest WM6
  • Call quality seems on par with any other mobile.
  • I've had no issues with Wi-Fi, all works well on various APs and supports WPA2.

The negatives:

• High resolution doesn't actually mean easy to read on a 3inch screen, especially for extended use. No good for daylight outside.
    • Lockups - hopefully these will be fixed soon.
    • Battery life is average.
    • Few accessories bundled, the power supply isn't a plug in adapter but has a fly lead (very short) from a small transformer box, extra weight to take with you and total cable length doesn't lend itself to being plugged in and used at the same .
    • They don't even bundle a hand strap let alone a case!
    • Little in the way of flash memory available in the device, yes you can add your own miniSD card but considering the cost of flash memory a bit more built in wouldn't have cost the earth.

Regards

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phil_UK

Hi

patch has been released to solve the lockup issues and according to some users it seems to work very well till now.

According to others they are still getting lock ups. I suspect it helps but can be nothing more than some work around in the short space of time to issue it. It they couldn't get a stable ROM in the months and months of development time of the G900 I never saw a perfect fix coming in a couple of weeks. To release it in the state it was in just points the finger at a lack of expertise on these types of devices from Toshiba and I have returned mine.

It's a real shame, "caveat emptor" on this particular PDA.

Regards

Phil

Guest Metoo

And of course, the patch doesn't do anything about the many other issues with the device (e.g. appalling 3G performance, no Notes sync etc.)

IMO the only sensible thing to do is to avoid (or return) it and wait until Toshiba make it fit for purpose, because at the moment all it's good for is a WVGA portable web browser. If that's all you need you might as well get a Nokia 770 tablet to put you on, now they're being sold off everywhere at £70!

Guest felixjet

uhm... i was planning to buy an HTC TyTN but when i saw the toshiba G900 specs and price, i forgot about HTC. then i come to this forum and check this reviews... now im confuse again. about the reflective screen i think is not a prob, since i will use it 95% inside and 5% outside, but what about the freezes? does them really happen frecuently? doing any special? since i dont need game emulators and advanced apps maybe i can avoid them.

what you think?

Guest Metoo
uhm... i was planning to buy an HTC TyTN but when i saw the toshiba G900 specs and price, i forgot about HTC. then i come to this forum and check this reviews... now im confuse again. about the reflective screen i think is not a prob, since i will use it 95% inside and 5% outside, but what about the freezes? does them really happen frecuently? doing any special? since i dont need game emulators and advanced apps maybe i can avoid them.

what you think?

The freezes mostly happen if you use push email or other background wireless activity. If you don't do that, you can get a couple of days' use between lockups. But don't forget, this is not the only issue with this phone.

The question is, do you want to pay £400 for a "smart" phone that crashes in standby (so misses calls and alarms), has lousy 3G reception, poor battery life, doesn't sync files both ways (or Notes at all), corrupts text entry (especially in Excel), and won't run TomTom?

Edited by Metoo

Guest felixjet
The freezes mostly happen if you use push email or other background wireless activity. If you don't do that, you can get a couple of days' use between lockups. But don't forget, this is not the only issue with this phone.

The question is, do you want to pay £400 for a "smart" phone that crashes in standby (so misses calls and alarms), has lousy 3G reception, poor battery life, doesn't sync files both ways (or Notes at all), corrupts text entry (especially in Excel), and won't run TomTom?

Crashes in stanby -> i trought it was the only thing fixed with the rom update, isnt it ?

lousy 3G -> in ur country maybe, the people shouldnt judge that fast

battery life -> :S it is a 1350mAh, is not that poor... i think all phones will burn the battery fast if its used as a PDA

syncs -> ? i have linux so i dont think it will work neither. and i think i dont need it also.

tomtom -> dont works? :S well, there is more gps apps right? i dont even have a car, so i dont care about gps performance XD

reply please :)

Edited by felixjet

Guest rilot

Crashes in stanby

Mine doesn't. I have a newer model I think as the patch won't apply, stating that I have a different rom version. I use push email.

lousy 3G

It's not as good as the TyTn I agree but I wouldn't call in lousy.

battery life

No problem here at all. 2 days of light use no problem with push turned on

syncs

Yes, this is annoying I agree

tomtom

TomTom 6 works fine. I have it and I used it to navigate to a meeting this morning. Sometimes the screen in portrain mode soes a wierd flickering thing but in landscape it's fine

I also don't have the text entry corruption perople describe. I think the key is to switch off XT9. To do this, junk everything in the Windows\Startup folder, reset the device, select a different SIP, click the xt9 icon next to the SIP and tell it not to suggest words.

I love my G900

It has a few issues but then show me a WM device that doesn't. I remember the HTC Universal when that came out and it was terrible.