HTC s710 Disassembly?

Guest victorecg

As I had written before - the screen seems not connected properly. So you have to make sure that the delicate connection between the two halves is fitting properly. It is unlikely that the cable or PBA is broken. Anyway, before you dump it, send it to me :-) I'll pay you for packing + postage to Germany. PM me for this.

I'm not giving up on it just yet... but I would love to be able to test it before I put it back together again. Wish I knew how to do that! I am pretty sure I connected all of the cables properly, but I must have missed something.

Is there a pro assembler here that can redo this for me for a price? I'd like to fix it!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest htchelp

Hi, i need a bit of help. I have so far managed to change the cover of the htc. however, when i went to plug back in the ribbon on the back of the screen to the keyboard, it would not hold. Apparently, it does not clip but simply glues with some small plastic. or am i wrong/ should it clip? what can i do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Guest tobbbie

It DOES clip in, you only need to find the right position - which may be tricky as you have to hold the sliding parts as well and may not have enough fingers to do all stuff at once. The sticky rubber pads on the sides give some additional support only.

Peek from the side to get the connectors aligned (check if is symetric left-to-right) and start at one side to push down. You should feel it starts to snap in. Continue to the other side, then make sure that everything stays.

Edited by tobbbie

Guest htchelp
It DOES clip in, you only need to find the right position - which may be tricky as you have to hold the sliding parts as well and may not have enough fingers to do all stuff at once. The sticky rubber pads on the sides give some additional support only.

Peek from the side to get the connectors aligned (check if is symetric left-to-right) and start at one side to push down. You should feel it starts to snap in. Continue to the other side, then make sure that everything stays.

HEY TOBBIE thanks man i think im almost there, but i have a huge problem now!!! the mobile turned on nicely however, the screen is not displaying good colors. ON LOADING it displayed a black patch on the screen and bad colours. however after booting the black patch was gone and the screen remained displaying bad colours. i dont think the screen is defected no? the light is ok its just displaying ad colouring, its likewhen you have a computer with no vga drivers installed if you catch my drift. what could be wrong mate?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Guest tobbbie

Ooops, that is strange what you describe. Normally it either works completely or not at all. Did you mess around with the other connector that links the LCD to the front PCB? Be careful with this one, as the connector there is locked and you cannot just pull it out. To onlock it you have to flap the black plastic bar going left to right upward - but don't touch it if is still well fit in. I would recommend to just disconnect the plug you already dealt with again, check in detail if any dirt, dust etc. had found its way in there, clean it carefully and then reconnect it.

Edited by tobbbie

Guest htchelp

unfortunately i did play with that connector. the first thing i did was simply unlock it but i never really pulled it out.. ive played with it a few times, simply unlocking it and trying to gently force the wire in. But really the only thing i ever done was unlock it, so if you need some force to disconnect it, it should be brand new. I still think theres a loose connection because when i tested the phone at an early point i could see good colouring.

remember that the black spot only appears whilst booting.

after booting the display shows simply bad colours but otherwise clear.ill clean it, thats a good idea.

Ooops, that is strange what you describe. Normally it either works completely or not at all. Did you mess around with the other connector that links the LCD to the front PCB? Be careful with this one, as the connector there is locked and you cannot just pull it out. To onlock it you have to flap the black plastic bar going left to right upward - but don't touch it if is still well fit in. I would recommend to just disconnect the plug you already dealt with again, check in detail if any dirt, dust etc. had found its way in there, clean it carefully and then reconnect it.

Guest htchelp

its still displaying bad colours. what i cant understand is that the black spot goes and the screen functions ok. should i hard reset the phone? will that help? any help is greatly appreciated

Guest tobbbie

I doubt a hard reset will help here.

The "spot" looks more like something related to a mechanical stress on the back of the device. Why it dissappears when booting up is strange. A photo could help here.

When dealing with the flat connector of the display (I suspect this is the reason for your observations):

- unlocking (flapping up) the black plastic that goes cross the connector will completely release the cable so it can easily be pulled out, no force required to do this.

- cleaning the cable at the connectors (e.g. with medical alcohol)

- inserting it back until it goes no deeper

- re-locking the connector

should bring you back all colors

Good luck :-)

And for the others, I read in a post in another forum (I think it was XDA devlopers) that a similar blind-boot/no-boot is observed when the SIM-card switch is not acting properly after dis- and re-assembly. Looking at the PBA you will see after dis-assembly that the switch is "on" only when the SIM door is closed and the PBA is in the case.

So if you want to "test" functionality without having to assemble the device, make sure that the SIM switch is in the "on" position. You can check what happens booting the device with the SIM door open:

It will show the green LED and then go off - just like it does when the LCD is not connected properly. The difference is that in case of the SIM door it will go off again, in case of the LCD not connected it will contine to boot but you just don't see it.

Guest htchelp

HI TOBBIE

still no luck!! i still blame the connector from the keybaord to the motherboard!! everytime i open the mobile again it comes off by itself.. you said its supposed to clip on... its not clipping on i cannot understand why!! its only holding with that little piece of plastic, the ribbon just wont clip! what can i do!

I doubt a hard reset will help here.

The "spot" looks more like something related to a mechanical stress on the back of the device. Why it dissappears when booting up is strange. A photo could help here.

When dealing with the flat connector of the display (I suspect this is the reason for your observations):

- unlocking (flapping up) the black plastic that goes cross the connector will completely release the cable so it can easily be pulled out, no force required to do this.

- cleaning the cable at the connectors (e.g. with medical alcohol)

- inserting it back until it goes no deeper

- re-locking the connector

should bring you back all colors

Good luck :-)

And for the others, I read in a post in another forum (I think it was XDA devlopers) that a similar blind-boot/no-boot is observed when the SIM-card switch is not acting properly after dis- and re-assembly. Looking at the PBA you will see after dis-assembly that the switch is "on" only when the SIM door is closed and the PBA is in the case.

So if you want to "test" functionality without having to assemble the device, make sure that the SIM switch is in the "on" position. You can check what happens booting the device with the SIM door open:

It will show the green LED and then go off - just like it does when the LCD is not connected properly. The difference is that in case of the SIM door it will go off again, in case of the LCD not connected it will contine to boot but you just don't see it.

Guest tobbbie

...well, I cannot lead your hand doing this. It has to clip, from left to right and for both rows (upper and lower row). If it falls off by itself then it simply is not clipped in for all parts. I have dis-assembled my VOX several times and changed LCDs between two devices - so I know it works and it works reliably. Be aware the pushing it down requires some force - so you may not have pushed down firmly enough.

I repeat myself: after checking the correct alignment, start on one side (the one to the middle of the PBA) and work to the other pushing down the connector firmly to the socket on the PBA. Upper and lower row have to connect at the same time when work from one side to the other. You have to stabilize the PBA from the back when pushing it down. Take care not to destroy the connectors for the antenna plastic case there. If you cannot feel/hear it snap in (per connector, so in total it may feel like a zipper connecting), you either have not aligned correctly, pushed firm enough or have dirt in the socket/rubber-supports.

Look for things that may have found its way on the connector or the socket and keep it extremely clean on both sides. Even small parts (dust, fine sand, remains of cotton) may prevent the connector to stay. Take a magnifying glass and wooden toothpick to remove any such items. Also clean the rubber parts on the left and right side that they align flat with the connector. You may need some lighter-fuel (German: Waschbenzin) to clean the remains of glue and dirt from the rubber tops or matching part of the connector.

I have been more than explicit now and there is really no more to tell for that story. If you cannot make it yourself get someone experienced to have it done for you.