Reflashing Cingular 2125 with new ROM?

Guest chuckknight

Guest chuckknight

I was at an AT&T store the other day, and encountered a little problem. The phone reset the time/date and would not sync in with the network. The saleskid insisted it should, looked at it, and suggested the problem was in the phone...but not to worry. He looked it up, and he said I was out of warranty...of course. (I know my SMT5600 wouldn't get the time from the network, but I never gave the 2125 a chance...just set it manually, and have never had to set it again, except for VERY occasional resets to 5/26/2006, 12:00pm)

Anyway, the kid said something truly remarkable -- the Cingular ROM doesn't have the ability to automatically update time/date from the network, but other companies' ROMs did have that ability. He actually suggested that I reflash my Cingular branded phone, with one from Qtek or iMate. Needless to say, my jaw dropped.

Reflashing, while it makes me a little bit nervous (don't want to brick the phone), is not a major problem for me. I've got SPV-Services already installed, and the phone is app and carrier unlocked.

So, here are my questions...

1) Is what he told me true, and would this help?

2) What ROM would you recommend? I've seen mention of both on various forums, and the iMate SP5 seems to be more popular...but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

I don't use any of the texting features...only basic phone features, and of course various programs I've installed...but they should work on anything running WM5.

A little more reading has led me to the conclusion that the iMate ROM is more generically friendly, but has a rare issue with the joystick. The Qtek ROM, though not quite as nice, seems to lack this problem...even though it is a very rare problem.

-- Chuck Knight

Guest greenturtle

Ay-up chuck :)

Firstly welcome to the forum :P

The sales guy is half right. The Cingular ROM does not have the ability to automatic update for the clock, but neither does any other official ROM because they are not AKU2.3 or higher.

I have flashed a few customs ROMs on my Faraday/Tornado and noticed that one guy's ROMs had a function for Automatic clock update. So the moral of this lovely story is that only the ROMs found below contain this function.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...highlight=vista

Sorry I have just smashed your iMate hopes but if you want update clock then these are the ROMs you want!

Edited by greenturtle

Guest chuckknight
Firstly welcome to the forum :)

The sales guy is half right. The Cingular ROM does not have the ability to automatic update for the clock, but neither does any other official ROM because they are not AKU2.3 or higher.

I have flashed a few customs ROMs on my Faraday/Tornado and noticed that one guy's ROMs had a function for Automatic clock update. So the moral of this lovely story is that only the ROMs found below contain this function.

Sorry I have just smashed your iMate hopes but if you want update clock then these are the ROMs you want!

Thanks for the welcome -- I've actually been a member here for some time, but almost never post. I just don't know enough about *this* tech to contribute significantly. (If you need help with Windows 95 - XP, I can do it in my sleep...still learning the subtle points of Vista)

As to the iMate ROM, I don't care if it's that particular one, anyway. It's just that it's received good reviews, overall, on this and HowardForum.

Now, here's a followup question. These are cooked ROMs which *can* mean that they're wonderful...or they *can* be horribly unstable. What's the consensus about these particular ones? Like I said...no big deal reflashing my ROM, but I don't want to brick my phone.

And, since it never hurts to ask, neither of these happens to have the Pocket Office suite, does it? I know it was available, briefly, online...

-- Chuck Knight

Guest greenturtle

Hello again :)

Wow joined 2005 and no posts eh. Don't you love my observation skills ;) I just assumed you were new because of your post count, anyway!

As to the iMate ROM, I don't care if it's that particular one, anyway. It's just that it's received good reviews, overall, on this and HowardForum.

You're research is correct, it is the most stable ROM I can confirm that too.

Now, here's a followup question. These are cooked ROMs which *can* mean that they're wonderful...or they *can* be horribly unstable. What's the consensus about these particular ones? Like I said...no big deal reflashing my ROM, but I don't want to brick my phone.

I can assure you that they are both very good and stable ROMs with lots of nice things like a newer camera application, however they require a bit of tweaking to make it 100% English but just read the posts in the topic I linked you to :P

And, since it never hurts to ask, neither of these happens to have the Pocket Office suite, does it? I know it was available, briefly, online...

Unfortunately the ROMs were pre WM6 release but if you want the CAB file that installs Pocket Office just click below!

http://forum.ppcwarez.org/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=21639

I think that covers all your queries :D did I miss anything?

Guest chuckknight

I've actually posted before...not sure why my count would have reset, unless it was the long period of inactivity. Seriously, though...VERY few posts. :-)

Hmmm...a Chinese iPhone, or a Chinese Vista phone. How to choose...how to choose?

I like the iPhone, but I think I'll stick with something more standard. The Vista interface. (Like it doesn't look like OS-X)

Anything I should be aware of? I've run through the first few pages of those threads, and they look promising.

-- Chuck Knight

Edited by chuckknight

Guest greenturtle

Let me think :)

Umm, the homescreen is a piece of crap because it's also in Chinese so just install a new one.

From what I recall that was about it, apart from having to replace some of the applications with English versions.

Oh yes and it also has Chinese T9 haha, so you will need to install the English xT9.cab found in this zip file.

http://www.jm012a9749.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Extras.zip

It also has a load of lovely extras which you can install if there is anything else missing

Guest chuckknight
Umm, the homescreen is a piece of crap because it's also in Chinese so just install a new one.

OK, I've got copies of several ROMs. I know the official ones are automatically copied over with their installer programs...no muss, no fuss. But, I've not installed a cooked ROM before. What do I do with the .rar file? Presumably I initiate the bootstrap loader on the phone, but I'm not sure how to do that. And, then what?

I'll do a search and see if I can figure it out...but a primer might be handy, not only for myself but for other newcomers, as well.

-- Chuck Knight

Guest greenturtle

Hey chuck.

In order to start the update simply run the program ROMUpdateUtility.exe within the folder.

Before you upgrade though, have you CID unlocked your device for sure? You will get an error if you haven't, nothing fatal it just wont install :)

Guest chuckknight

Hmmm...I can't seem to get those files off the server. My downloads abort after 10MB or less. Since I don't have this problem on other servers (snagged a copy of Knoppix) the problem must be on the server's end.

Know of any other sites with those ROM images on them?

-- Chuck Knight

Guest greenturtle

Oh ok thats really strange. I have that file on my hardrive luckily so I'll rapidshare it for you later today or tomorrow morning when in off peak :)

Guest greenturtle

Hey chuck sorry for the delay, I have been house sitting for a friend and never seem to be home in off peak when my upload speed is up. I'm home today so I'm just uploading if for you now :)

Watch this post in the next 9 minutes and I will post a megaupload link!

EDIT: On second thoughts thats against forum rules and I will probably get a Warn :S

Ok new plan :P Check you PM

Edited by greenturtle