Kaiser coming to AT&T as 'AT&T Tilt' on 3rd September?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mikeeey
At this point, it would be nearly impossible for it to be released by AT&T on Monday. More likely mid to end of September.

why would this be impossible? the rom is done, the device is finished, everything is finished. they just need to ship it (which im sure they have already done). mid september seems a bit too long to me.

also i heard that ATT/cingular doesnt have insurance for pda types of phones,,, its this true?

i really wouldnt think that's true. theres no reason why that should be true. i havnt bought a PDA from Cingular or AT&T yet, only t-mobile, and they offered insurance for PDAs, but that doesnt tell if AT&T does.

Guest mikeeey

also im quoting someone from xda developers. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=326144&page=2) if what he says is true, then that's good news for us all.

i just checked with my local AT&T store 2 days ago and the manager said that its still on for the 3rd of sept. and that the pricing will be $499 as an upgrade or 1 year contract, $399 as a new 2 yr contract, plus a $50 mail in rebate that brings it down to $349 and for some reason i seem to be eligible for another $50 off and a waived upgrade fee.

hope that helps

::EDIT:: it was a corp. store and they had both the pricing info and the rebate forms already... ohh and it WILL be the TILT

Guest Tones@
also im quoting someone from xda developers. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=326144&page=2) if what he says is true, then that's good news for us all.

I still say there is NO WAY it comes out on September 3. That's LABOR DAY here. The stores are not even open! Plus, it's now 11 AM on Friday, August 31. When do you suppose they will announce it - Saturday? It makes no sense. I guess we'll see on Monday, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I still think this is weeks away, but I hope I'm wrong. ;)

BTW - I also asked at an AT&T corporate store yesterday and no one there (including the manager) had any CLUE about this device at all. So they obviously have yet to get it in stock or anyone even telling them about it.

Tony

Guest broadwayblue
also i heard that ATT/cingular doesnt have insurance for pda types of phones,,, its this true?

Sadly that is (or at least used to be) the case. I was unable to insure my Treo a couple years back. Whether it is still their policy I can't say.

Guest ParrotSquawk
Sadly that is (or at least used to be) the case. I was unable to insure my Treo a couple years back. Whether it is still their policy I can't say.

It has been Cingular's (now ATT's) policy to NOT offer insurance directly for smartphones or PDAs. Someone mentioned that the big retailers (Best Buy, Circuit City, et al) do offer their own repair policy.

Guest JDowney1

I have been tracking the progress of this device for sometime and as a result have wound up here. Sorry to say that my first post will be in sadness. ;)

Went to the AT&T wireless store here in Chicago yesterday and was told that the "Tilt" will be released at the very earliest late October/early November in time for the holidays. The manager also mentioned that it may be even later. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about the device, and when I mentioned the September 3rd release date that I have seen mentioned all over the web he said, "No clue where they got that. If that were true we would already have them in due to the holiday weekend." Who knows though, store employees aren't always on the up and up.

On another note I have been a cingular customer for about 8 years now without a single complaint, and I can tell you this, since the merger with AT&T the service has gotten terrible here in Chicago both customer service and signal strength, the phones/plans have gotten more expensive, and they are continually postponing or hindering product releases do to the IPhone(which in my humble opinion is less than impressive). My service agreement is up, and I'm about ready to go somewhere else only problem is AT&T seems to be getting all the high-end phones. It's a real pickle I tell ya.

I'll be checking another store on the 3rd just in case and will report back.

Guest NuShrike
... and when I mentioned the September 3rd release date that I have seen mentioned all over the web he said, "No clue where they got that. If that were true we would already have them in due to the holiday weekend." Who knows though, store employees aren't always on the up and up.
He's saying the obvious in logistical planning. They would've had customer service training, demo models, advertising, already. Not quite the iPhone's months of build up, but why lie to the customer about how much longer it's going to take?

Look at what you're believing in, a "3rd date" from some guy on the net who talked to some guy trolling some warehouse inventory system, vs the horse's mouth. We've even seen at&t price sheets from BGR and there's no "Tilt" on it until at least past Sept 15th. Also, HTC's FCC filing had some confidential content not to be released past Sept 10th. So Oct 1st is much more realistic.

Whereas, I was at a store last week and heard they were going to start selling new SonyEricssons. That's pretty well confirmed now for the W580i; even on the official website.

The weight of the evidence is against a public 3rd release.

Guest craftonc

Question for Paul: Do you know if the problems that AT&T is having with the ROM are going to delay this past a few weeks? I'd hate to think I could have ordered one tonight and still not have it by October from AT&T. Originally you had said you'd just go with the AT&T device but would that still be the case - knowing what you know - if your were a US customer? As always - THANKS so much for all the info leading up to this. The excitement is what keeps me going!!

Guest JDowney1

Two stores and the At&t wireless website, but no 'Tilt.' The sadness is deep.

Does anyone have an actual confirmed date? I got three different answers from store managers in the course of the week each more discouraging than the last. One said October, the next said November/December, and the third said "not anytime soon." Also did anybody else notice that the 8525 went up in price over the weekend?

Anybody got a recommendation for right now if I need to get a new phone in the next couple weeks? I've pretty much had enough with At&t's delays.

Guest NuShrike
Buy it now from Expansys UK? The MoDaCo Special Offer?

Failing that MobilePlanet?

And failing that, www.elite-electronix.com or egadgetdepot.com ... So many well published options.

Guest JDowney1

1.) I live in the U.S. As far as I have read the speical Modaco deal is only for people in the UK. Do I have that wrong? (Pretty sweet deal.)

2.) Dealt with an unlocked phone before and it was the single worst experience I've had with a cell phone. AT&T actively discourages the use of unlocked phones as well if you even mention it. (understandbly)

3.) The price for the unlocked version is INSANE. I understand that it is not abnormal in Europe, or most of the world for that matter, to pay that much for a phone, but I would rather have a carrier discount of ruffly $300. Also the profit margin on an unlocked phone is obscene because I know for a fact that the phones sold with a carrier discount still have a considerable profit for the manufactuers.

4.) Thank you very much for the suggestions though. I'm just gonna break down and either get a hold-over phone or just sign a 1 year contract with a phone that is at least similar.

Love these forums btw.

Edited by JDowney1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.