Kaiser coming to AT&T as 'AT&T Tilt' on 3rd September?

Guest PaulOBrien

Will get one as soon as they hit the shelves @ my AT&T store.

Does anyone know how this "Tilt" or "Kaiser" or htc p4550 will handle SKYPE? Need it for my travels...

Guest NuShrike
Does anyone know how this "Tilt" or "Kaiser" or htc p4550 will handle SKYPE? Need it for my travels...
Well, the latest Skype 2.2 took away support for voice chat (unlike the 2.2 beta) for the TyTn, and a bunch of other xdas.
Well, with the lack of direct affirmation here, only that rare Skype 2.2 BETA will definitely work on the Kaiser.

Supposedly, Skype made a codec change that makes it work well on low (speed) cpu devices, but inversely killed support for high-cpu devices.

Guest NuShrike
What's the question here?

I'm pretty sure I posted it already, but Skype on my Kaiser works great.

Thanks for the specific reply! Good to know.

No, I've searched on this site, and 7 pages deep through Google, even keying with the "site:" keyword, and didn't see a specific use test on the Kaiser. You, however, definitely tested Skype on almost every device passing through Modaco all the way back to 2003. ;)

The question was does a version of Skype (or even the latest 2.2 Gold) work on the Kaiser, how well, and does it support video-chat?

Otherwise, thanks!

Guest Tullomatic

Yeah, I'm tempted to pick up a Tilt when it hits stores, but then again I'm also tempted to save $300 and just go with an 8525 that AT&T is selling now for $150. Still a lot of phone for the money and a lot better than what I am currently using. ;)

Guest javisan23
Yeah, I'm tempted to pick up a Tilt when it hits stores, but then again I'm also tempted to save $300 and just go with an 8525 that AT&T is selling now for $150. Still a lot of phone for the money and a lot better than what I am currently using. ;)

I second that. I am tired of waiting, plus If I can get the 8525 for 200, and save 300 dollars, I would live with the 8525 for at least a year and then upgrade to the kaiser when it's cheaper than 500.

I have wanted a pda phone for a long time and have been waiting for this model for a few months and I'm getting extremely anxious. So just you know, I currently own a 2004 cellphone!! the nokia 6230. Imagine how desperate I am to upgrade!!

Guest mikeeey
I second that. I am tired of waiting, plus If I can get the 8525 for 200, and save 300 dollars, I would live with the 8525 for at least a year and then upgrade to the kaiser when it's cheaper than 500.

I have wanted a pda phone for a long time and have been waiting for this model for a few months and I'm getting extremely anxious. So just you know, I currently own a 2004 cellphone!! the nokia 6230. Imagine how desperate I am to upgrade!!

i remember years ago when i wanted a nokia 6230 ALMOST as much as i want a kaiser now. cause at the time it was one of the only phones that you could put an SD card in it and let you play music and video. also it let you record up to 5 minutes!! wow. lol. all of these features are on every pocket pc and smartphone now.

Guest javisan23
i remember years ago when i wanted a nokia 6230 ALMOST as much as i want a kaiser now. cause at the time it was one of the only phones that you could put an SD card in it and let you play music and video. also it let you record up to 5 minutes!! wow. lol. all of these features are on every pocket pc and smartphone now.

It was a good phone, but its time to let him rest. I will not be tempted anymore to buy the 8525, I will wait for the Kaiser, final decision.

Guest mikeeey
It was a good phone, but its time to let him rest. I will not be tempted anymore to buy the 8525, I will wait for the Kaiser, final decision.

well of corse, but we need to know when itl be out. im really hoping for the september 3rd date, i really dont wanna wait till late september or october. but i mean they're done with both roms now, what could they be doing in all of that time? september 3rd sounds like a very resonable date to me, being that they're done with the device.

Guest Kchrpm
but i mean they're done with both roms now, what could they be doing in all of that time?

Making sure the thing actually works well on AT&Ts network. I was talking to an AT&T store employee the other day, and he told me about a phone that was so close to release that they had been sent a dummy phone already, but it took 18 months for it to be released because it failed network performance tests and had to be tweaked and finally redesigned.

Guest mikeeey
Making sure the thing actually works well on AT&Ts network. I was talking to an AT&T store employee the other day, and he told me about a phone that was so close to release that they had been sent a dummy phone already, but it took 18 months for it to be released because it failed network performance tests and had to be tweaked and finally redesigned.

do u know what phone he was talking about?

Guest mori30
I personally will be getting an 8925 as soon as its in stores. My wife will be getting my current 8525 to replace my old 6700 she is using. ;)

i was thinking on doing this also,, only i have the ppc6700 from sprint,, and i jsut read a review on the iphone,, and,,, the only bad thing i saw was the network,, ATT online its much slower than sprint and cost more

can some one please sell me on why should i get the 8925? instead of the mogul(aka 8525) from sprint?

i mean other than yes it has gps and 3mp camera?

after all its 499$ and those 2 alone its not worth it in my book

Guest mikeeey
i was thinking on doing this also,, only i have the ppc6700 from sprint,, and i jsut read a review on the iphone,, and,,, the only bad thing i saw was the network,, ATT online its much slower than sprint and cost more

can some one please sell me on why should i get the 8925? instead of the mogul(aka 8525) from sprint?

i mean other than yes it has gps and 3mp camera?

after all its 499$ and those 2 alone its not worth it in my book

well aside from the gps and 3mp camera thats really it. i mean there's the 256mb of Rom, but i mean your pretty much saying "besides the features that make this device great, why else should i get it ove rthe mogul?" yea, everything about the kaisre is better than the mogul.

Guest mori30
well aside from the gps and 3mp camera thats really it. i mean there's the 256mb of Rom, but i mean your pretty much saying "besides the features that make this device great, why else should i get it ove rthe mogul?" yea, everything about the kaisre is better than the mogul.

i mean not trying to be mean or anything but ATT 8525 2year cont 150$

ATT 8925 2year cont 499$

they both use the same OS they both have slide out keyboard.

only the 8925 has gps and 3mp camera 500-150=350$ its that really worth 350$?

imean ok,, i know the tilt well,,, it tilt and ok more mb in the rom means less slowdowns etc etc.. ok that cool and i get it,, its better than the 8525 but 350$ better? thats the part iam in limbo about it,

specially when ATT has some slow internet in comparison with sprint.

Guest mikeeey
i mean not trying to be mean or anything but ATT 8525 2year cont 150$

ATT 8925 2year cont 499$

they both use the same OS they both have slide out keyboard.

only the 8925 has gps and 3mp camera 500-150=350$ its that really worth 350$?

imean ok,, i know the tilt well,,, it tilt and ok more mb in the rom means less slowdowns etc etc.. ok that cool and i get it,, its better than the 8525 but 350$ better? thats the part iam in limbo about it,

specially when ATT has some slow internet in comparison with sprint.

well i guess it just depends what features interest you and how much your willing to pay. i dont mind paying $500 for a phone this great. and gps can be pretty expensive (usually like $400 just for a gps device), so if you can get it in a pocket pc for $500 I think that's already pretty good. you must also keep in mind it's a new phone so of corse it will be more.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I personally would pay the extra, because the Hermes (8525) just exceeded the boundary of what I find an acceptable size for a device - it was simply too big. The Kaiser might be quite heavy, but the size is spot on IMHO.

Of course, the 3MP autofocus camera, GPS and big memory help too ;)

P

Guest broadwayblue

So is the Tilt really going to launch in the States in 4 days? Any pics of the AT&T branded one yet? I'm very tempted to pick one up next week to replace my 2.5 year old dying Treo 650.

Guest Tones@

At this point, it would be nearly impossible for it to be released by AT&T on Monday. More likely mid to end of September.

I'm also wondering what indirect impact of the POTENTIAL announcement of a new widescreen / touchscreen iPod on Sept 5 will have on the sale of the iPhone, and thus may change the strategy of when they release the Kaiser. AT&T might not know what Apple is going to announce yet either, so they might take a wait and see attitide as to when to release the Kaiser until after September 5 when they could formulate stategy.

Of couse, the delay might be as simple as not having the final ROM quite done. ;)

Tony

Guest mori30

ok i never thought of it in that light,,, an independant gps costing 400$,,, that its a good valid point.

now another question,, paul since you have one can you do a DL speed test and post it here?,, remember iam on sprint and our online speeds are the best in the USA, if ATT are a little bit slower,, i be ok even thou they would charge more.

also i heard that ATT/cingular doesnt have insurance for pda types of phones,,, its this true?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.