WM6 now showing on an O2 Graphite near you!

Guest mrkipling

Guest Crash Biker

I have found an enormous deterioration in battery life since upgrading to wm6. Previously my Graphite would get me from a full charge at 7am to one or two bars of battery at 11pm whereas since upgrading to wm6 I have seen it go full to totally flat in around 3 to 4 hours just sat on a table with no usage at all(!)

After a bit of sleuthing my suspicion is this: when the screen times out to off after 60 seconds of non-use it is not disconnecting wifi like wm5 did. Or (if I remember but I'm now guessing), there used to be an option buried in settings/power control/wifi that allowed this behaviour to be enabled (auto-off wifi on sleep). I can't find that option in wm6, anyone found anything similar or found the setting in wm6?

Cheers

Crash

Guest monkeygadge

I would say the opposite - I get more out of my Graphite now on WM6 compared to WM5. My advice is to make sure your battery is fully charged when you start the update process....... might make a difference.

O2 really, really sucks. i don't know why they do this. first O2 has the reputation of not giving updates, and now they release an update but only limited to UK users. ;) what is this? racial discrimination? it seems that O2 doesn't appreciate Asian customers, and appreciates Europeans more, why? did they pay more money on their units? I hope that O2 would be FAIR enough to give us also the update. or LOOSE Asian customers. :wub:

Guest kyrkesmith
O2 really, really sucks. i don't know why they do this. first O2 has the reputation of not giving updates, and now they release an update but only limited to UK users. ;) what is this? racial discrimination? it seems that O2 doesn't appreciate Asian customers, and appreciates Europeans more, why? did they pay more money on their units? I hope that O2 would be FAIR enough to give us also the update. or LOOSE Asian customers. :wub:

Didn't the Graphite get released in Asia first?

Didn't the Graphite get released in Asia first?

Yes I think it was first released in Asia, and I think that everyone who has an Graphite deserves the right to have this update, or no update to everyone at all, this just proves that O2 is not FAIR to all their customers and they really suck! ;) sorry for my reactions. :wub:

Just in case anyone else was suffering the same frustrations ... a little download found through xda-developers solved my woes. I now have office mobile running on my WM6 Graphite ;)

Hi there,

I downloaded the file, Office.WM6.WCE.BY. I extracted it and do not know how and what to do to get it on my phone. Does it overwirte clearvue stuff and replace with office 2007?

Also since upgrading to wm6 on my graphite, sim manager has gone.

Can I get this back?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest harrysaab

mine died aswell

i got asian and uk version graphite, when i ran the update utility with uk version and once the update screen came, i swapped the phones, it installed the update and it says follow instructions on the phone screen, but there was nothing, it died now ;)

does anyone know how to reset it or how do i get to bootloader now...

or get new o2 uk rom update firmware?

cheers

I would advise against it - my Graphite will not turn on now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest privateman

Hello from Germany,

got a used Graphite this week from UK and just installed WM6, works like a charm.

I still have to get used to a smartphone, have had some xda mini and neo so far.

Right now I have installed SpriteBackup, RescoExplorer and Facade, any other tips to make life easier?

Is there a way of cycling through open programs or are they closed each time you use another prog?

Last question: Does anybody have an o2 Homezone prog that works on WM6 in Germany?

Thanks for your help, so long!

Hello from Germany,

Is there a way of cycling through open programs or are they closed each time you use another prog?

Hello Privateman!

Please check following 2 applications-very useful for smartphones:

http://xetranet.free.fr/xbar2/?lang=eng&project=xBar%202

http://www.e-natives.web.id/

The first one will show / switch all the programs you have open in the background.

Good Luck! ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest andrysoft
If you down the Joystick and the Power button simultaneously, then SP going to Bootloader Mode...

The Asian WM6 uprade (Bootloader version):

----------------------------------------------------

Edited by andrysoft

• 2 weeks later...
The Asian WM6 uprade (Bootloader version):

----------------------------------------------------

This is stable version:

Has anyone been able to install this? I tried but was not successful.

Guest Monolithix

Guys - please check the forum rules. Links to unofficial ROM downloads are NOT allowed.

If the O2 website is hosting it, thats fine. Otherwise please don't use these forums to discuss sharing methods and links.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Can anyone write-up step-by-step instructions for a manual upgrade of the O2 Graphite?

i.e.

Step 1: Copy jupiter.abi onto storage card

Step 2: Copy Jupiter_SPBL.abi onto storage card

Step 3: ...

Also, can anyone confirm that if you use the abi files in the UK ROM image, you can successfully upgrade non-UK O2 Graphites i.e. Singapore and Hong Kong?

Thanks in advance.

JK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I think many asian graphite owners are waiting for this. Here's one successful upgrade of asian graphite with UK ROM. Mine! :D The only setback is that I had to manually enter my mms and gprs settings after the upgrade as you will not have the asian 'O2 AutoConfig', 'O2 Connect', 'O2 Menu' (anyone converted these to cab files before so that it can be installed easily?).

But before I continue, I would like to state a disclaimer on the following procedures. I will not be held responsible for any bricking of your smartphones. And before you begin, please make sure that your battery is full.

1. Dump your present ROM and keep it as a backup (I forgot this step and I don't know where to get the software for dumping my ROM, so no turning back for me :D ).
  2. Get your hands on the UK ROM file by searching at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=335151
  3. Download Resource Hacker from http://delphi.icm.edu.pl/ftp/tools/ResHack.zip
  4. Extract these files and run Resource Hacker.
  5. Using Resource Hacker, open the 'Graphite_Upgrade_Utility_V3.4.0.exe' file.
  6. In Resource Hacker, select the following resource. Look at the areas circled in redpost-241364-1201887868_thumb.jpg.
  7. Click on 'Action', 'Save Resource as a binary file'. post-241364-1201887895_thumb.jpg
  8. Save as 'Jupiter_SPBL.abi'. post-241364-1201887904_thumb.jpg
  9. Copy 'Jupiter_SPBL.abi' into the root directory of your microSD card (I used a memorycard reader to copy the file.).
  10. Make sure your battery is full (my graphite didn't go into bootloader mode when connected to the charger) and turn off your graphite.
  11. Load your microSD card into your graphite.
  12. Down the Joystick and the Power button simultaneously.
  13. The upgrade should start and the progress shown on-screen. The progress bar starts in red and switches to a green progress bar. This happens a few times (sorry, can't remember how many times...about 5 times).
  14. When this is done, your graphite should restart by its own and it will boot with WM6 but its not done yet! The previous steps were just to "convert" your asian graphite to a uk graphite so that the 'Graphite_Upgrade_Utility_V3.4.0.exe' can recognize your phone.
  15. Connect your graphite via usb cable to your pc with ActiveSync running, and run the 'Graphite_Upgrade_Utility_V3.4.0.exe'. Follow the instructions shown. If there is no progress within 10mins indicated by the progress bar on your phone (similar to step 13), disconnect the usb cable and restart your computer and your phone (I was almost pissing in my pants when i had to do this coz there was no progress the 1st time and I thought I had bricked my phone :) ). Reconnect the usb cable and run the upgrade file again.
Hope this procedure will be successful for all you asian graphite owners wanting WM6 on your device. All those successful please share if there are any changes to the above steps.

Guest emeowww

Hi, jtaysw, I have an australian (asian sourced O2 'non-XDA') graphite, and I can confirm your steps do work, thanks very much indeed!!! However, I found you must format the microSD card to FAT16 format beforehand or the bootloader screen will just hang... I used a 2GB card, non-SDHC type. I also didn't have to run the update tool after it upgrading... wm6 just booted up and I could use it straight away with activesync etc.

Hi, jtaysw, I have an australian (asian sourced O2 'non-XDA') graphite, and I can confirm your steps do work, thanks very much indeed!!! However, I found you must format the microSD card to FAT16 format beforehand or the bootloader screen will just hang... I used a 2GB card, non-SDHC type. I also didn't have to run the update tool after it upgrading... wm6 just booted up and I could use it straight away with activesync etc.

Thanks for updating the steps, emeowww. The reason for running the update tool is for the complete WM6 with extended ROM. If you don't run the update tool, you will notice that in System Information, you will be missing 'Extended ROM verision: V2.2.0 ENG'.

Any asian graphite owners able to extract the 'AutoConfig'? I think it'll make things so much easier after upgrading the ROM to configure the GPRS and MMS. Please share if anyone is able to do it. Thanks!

Edited by jtaysw

Guest emeowww

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you :D

I can't get the 'extended ROM' to display in the system info - I tried running the update program the phone even with after a hard reset... still no luck - the program just says 'Fail to update'. Also discovered it re-writes the entire phone's ROM because I left that abi file on the microSD!

What is in that extended ROM feature apart from the label e.g. extra functions/progs? If it only gives you ClearVue I might just forget it instead :) . Did you delete the abi file on the card before running the program or replace that file with the other 1MB abi?

Tip for other upgraders - if you find the phone switching on to an 'update' screen, just do a hard reset.

EDIT: I solved the problem.

1. YES - you do need to delete all abi files on the SD card.

2. Do a hard reset on your phone, and reboot the computer

3. Run the update program, and follow instructions per se

To answer my own questions again... yes the Extended rom = ClearVue and that '2.2.0' label in System Info :D

Cheers jtaysw. I think there's now enough info to write a proper guide to help the others...

Edited by emeowww

I can't get the 'extended ROM' to display in the system info - I tried running the update program the phone even with after a hard reset... still no luck - the program just says 'Fail to update'. Also discovered it re-writes the entire phone's ROM because I left that abi file on the microSD!

What is in that extended ROM feature apart from the label e.g. extra functions/progs? If it only gives you ClearVue I might just forget it instead :) . Did you delete the abi file on the card before running the program or replace that file with the other 1MB abi?

Yes, I deleted the abi file from the microSD and ran the original 'Graphite_Upgrade_Utility_V3.4.0.exe' upgrade file from the pc with my graphite connected through the usb cable and activesync running. Basically, my graphite's a "full-fledge" UK graphite with 'System Information' showing 'Extended ROM verision: V2.2.0 ENG'. Btw, I forgot to mention that I'm using Activesync v4.5, if that makes any diff...

Did you backup your previous WM5 ROM? Coz I didn't. I'm hoping to be able to get the 'O2 AutoConfig' as it should take away the trouble of manually configuring GPRS and MMS. Hope you didn't forget to configure those settings.

Guest emeowww
Yes, I deleted the abi file from the microSD and ran the original 'Graphite_Upgrade_Utility_V3.4.0.exe' upgrade file from the pc with my graphite connected through the usb cable and activesync running. Basically, my graphite's a "full-fledge" UK graphite with 'System Information' showing 'Extended ROM verision: V2.2.0 ENG'. Btw, I forgot to mention that I'm using Activesync v4.5, if that makes any diff...

Did you backup your previous WM5 ROM? Coz I didn't. I'm hoping to be able to get the 'O2 AutoConfig' as it should take away the trouble of manually configuring GPRS and MMS. Hope you didn't forget to configure those settings.

Yes, you need ActiveSync 4.5 to run the update utility... any other version doesn't work. And I gather from other posts, you need WinXP, not Vista. I didn't back up my rom, couldn't find any (free) way of doing it. I don't think AutoConfig is needed overall, you can google your for telco's MMS/WAP/GPRS settings. I have to ring my telco anyway to register my IMEI to let it open MMS.

To all other upgraders - I think the upgrade is worthwhile so far - the UI looks slightly better, and I found the phone is more responsive (less cases of watching the homescreen being re-drawn top-down etc :) ). As for stability - my phone actually has never crashed while in WM5 (probably got a 'stable' release?), and it's too early to tell whether battery life is improved or not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.