Ameo or Vario III?

Guest andybarker

Guest andybarker

Hi,

I've been reading the Kaiser posts for some time, and I love the sound of it. However, as I already have the T-Mobile Vario (HTC Wizard) and I find it a bit of a pain having such a large and heavy phone in my pocket.

Looking at the way people talk of the Kaiser, and the few posts regarding the Ameo, I would guess that alot of people went off the Ameo (due to size mainly i would guess). Is the Ameo an acceptable mini-laptop / tablet PC, whilst being a pain as a day to day phone?

So I was thinking of one of two choices:

1. Get the Kaiser, and put up with having a large phone whilst benefitting from all the features I will use on it (I often need to access emails, SSH to Linux boxes, work on Word documents on occasion).

2. Get the Ameo as a mini-laptop with a PAYG SIM or no SIM and only carry it around when I need to, and get a normal phone to use for day to day calling.

Anyone got any comments on what they would do?

Thanks,

Andy

Guest Confucious

The Ameo is fantastic with T-Mob W'n'W but if u just want a mini laptop then just get a mini laptop - W'n'W gives me internet access everywhere an that is what the Ameo excels at.

Guest andybarker

Well got my upgrade offers. Considerably cheaper to start a new 18 month contract, than to upgrade!

e.g.

SE W880i on upgrade is £160, new contract is £100

Ameo with CoPilot on upgrade is £540, new contract is £460 (but shows as out of stock on new, but not on upgrade)

Only half decent offer for upgrade is £10 a month off for 12 months (but 18 month contract) if I keep my current phone.

Might be best waiting for the Modaco Kaiser offer!

• 1 month later...

Hands down the Kaiser.

I'd love an Ameo as much as the next gadgetophile but in this dreary place called reality the Kaiser is still the overall best of the two and doesn't require either a separate regular phone or a cyborgifying bluetooth headset to place phone calls.

In an ideal world? Ameo, Kaiser and an 8" Mac Tablet thanks ;)

Guest Metafunk

I am also in the same boat.

I need to be able to get to my servers in Emergency using Terminal Services but don't want to carry a laptop.

Trying to decide beteen Vario III or Ameo.

Would be great to hear from people who have selected a device for this.

Maybe some other recommendation?

M,

Currently have SPV2000

Guest andybarker
I am also in the same boat.

I need to be able to get to my servers in Emergency using Terminal Services but don't want to carry a laptop.

Trying to decide beteen Vario III or Ameo.

Would be great to hear from people who have selected a device for this.

Maybe some other recommendation?

M,

Currently have SPV2000

I've used the Vario I for SSH connections without any trouble, but Terminal Services can be a right pain due to the screen size. If the server is set at 1024x768 or more, and you have a 320x240 PDA screen - is tough work.

Ameo has high resolution screen (around 640x480 I think), and so TS is much easier on that.

Depends on what kind of things you may need to do on TS. I have used it on the Vario, and just needed to click a few icons in the system tray to resolve the problem - so a small screen wasn't a big problem. If you need to move around alot, type, click, etc. then it would be pretty tough I'd suspect.

Guest Metafunk
I've used the Vario I for SSH connections without any trouble, but Terminal Services can be a right pain due to the screen size. If the server is set at 1024x768 or more, and you have a 320x240 PDA screen - is tough work.

Ameo has high resolution screen (around 640x480 I think), and so TS is much easier on that.

Depends on what kind of things you may need to do on TS. I have used it on the Vario, and just needed to click a few icons in the system tray to resolve the problem - so a small screen wasn't a big problem. If you need to move around alot, type, click, etc. then it would be pretty tough I'd suspect.

I am managing okay with the SPV2000 at the moment. My only issue with it is that it uses battery even when switched off so I have to keep chargning it and use it as a main phone.

It would be great if I can leave it switched off and only use when needed. Do new Vario variations still use battery when switched off and eventually loose setting if not charged?

M,

Guest rickyburke
I am managing okay with the SPV2000 at the moment. My only issue with it is that it uses battery even when switched off so I have to keep chargning it and use it as a main phone.

It would be great if I can leave it switched off and only use when needed. Do new Vario variations still use battery when switched off and eventually loose setting if not charged?

M,

No, since WM5 Windows Mobile has included persistant storage, so no more hard resets after having to turn your fone off while in the cinema. (which i did a few times when i had my m2000)

I'd go for a Vario III.

In fact, I am, next week. lol

Guest Metafunk
No, since WM5 Windows Mobile has included persistant storage, so no more hard resets after having to turn your fone off while in the cinema. (which i did a few times when i had my m2000)

I'd go for a Vario III.

In fact, I am, next week. lol

Vario III its is then. Just waiting for T-Mobile to get their act together.

Guest rickyburke
Vario III its is then. Just waiting for T-Mobile to get their act together.

Same as me, I'm just waiting for stock to arrive, I went in shop yesterday and they said its imminent and will be in within a week.

• 1 month later...
Guest andybarker

The other day one of the bosses decided to give up on his T-Mobile MDA Pro (HTC Universal), and move to a blackberry (he likes things REALLY simple). So I'm due to get the Universal as I can make better use of it (once he can find it - not used in a few months).

So decision made for me, and I don't have to pay a penny. That's nice ;)