Problem With Direct Push on T-Mobile

Guest StuBFrost

Guest chucky.egg

No TomTom here

It implies your connection was busy perhaps? Not sure that makes sense, but might fit with the concept of the connection speed being too low for the sync (the idea that T suggested when I spoke to them).

@Paul - PM'd you back. Cant get the SSH connection working

Guest Paul (MVP)

I have now got a SSH tunnel to my exchange server, and used Pocket Hosts to fool the ActiveSync client into going via the tunnel without giving me a cert error.

Now let's see if it fixes the issue (which has been particularly bad for me today!)

P

Guest Honest John

Further to my earlier postings on the roaming cone, 2 things.

(a) My errant cone has now gone, but someone else in the company has inherited it! My MDA compact 2 is updating 100% now.

(;) Over the weekend, I received a call from T-Mobile technical services - quite unexpectedly - where a lady confirmed that T-Mobile were holding their hands up to this and that they were actively working on it.

From recent correspondence, I am assuming that no other telco apart from T-Mobile is suffering from these problems??

My top tecnical guy says that by removing the sim-lock, his phone is 100% Coincidence or urban myth?

Guest Honest John
I have now got a SSH tunnel to my exchange server, and used Pocket Hosts to fool the ActiveSync client into going via the tunnel without giving me a cert error.

Now let's see if it fixes the issue (which has been particularly bad for me today!)

P

I understand that you are opening a VPN so to speak, but how will this make a difference if you are still using T-Mobile GPRS. Surely that will be using the same airwaves as it were?

What's the reasoning behind your work around as it escapes me for now.

Guest Paul (MVP)

The reasoning is that if T-Mo are deprioritising or doing something to HTTP traffic, this will prevent that as it won't appear that way to them.

I've had no problem all day by the way using the tunnel method!

P

Guest Honest John
The reasoning is that if T-Mo are deprioritising or doing something to HTTP traffic, this will prevent that as it won't appear that way to them.

I've had no problem all day by the way using the tunnel method!

P

Ah. Understood. Seems to me that if T-Mobile were aware of the problem, then they should have twigged this one, though. In fairness, we have had no reported problems today although some roaming cones are still present.

Just why deprioritising HTTP traffic would cause a roaming cone to appear is beyond me. It's just not fir. I pine for it to go away and for T-Mobile to spruce up their ideas so we could all cedar improvement.

Guest chucky.egg

How about this for a solution then folks...

At home I was getting patchy GPRS, and low-end GSM coverage, whilst at work I was getting pretty strong 3G (and HSDPA)

I talked to T's Tech Support a few days ago, and this is probably coincidence but as of tonight I seem to get MAX strength 3G coverage at home (no HSDPA)

T just earned themselves another 18 months of my business!

Guest Christopher Woods
Hi,

I have been using direct push of Exchange data for several months on T-Mobile with no problem but for the past couple of weeks I have been getting constant problems where activesync says "waiting for network" and never reconnects. If I force a sync it doesn't work until i do a soft reset and it starts working again.

The odd thing about it is that it only seems to be doing this on GPRS. If I leave it on 3G it is fine.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Stu

Odd that, the thread made an interesting read too. Initially sounded to me like the phone was just dropping the data connection but not realising? Happens to me occasionally but I've not noticed AS problems (just a connection dropping, which I then have to manually cancel and reestablish by refreshing IE or loading something else). Did you ever try tapping the hang up key once to stop the data connection, and then either letting it reestablish itself (if you use DirectPush) or forcibly restarting it by loading/reloading a page in IE?

Anyway, hope you got it sorted.

Edited by Christopher Woods

Guest chucky.egg

No idea, it was gone again this morning ;) (although I did have good GSM signal, compared to before)

I mapped the site locations, but I don't remember even seeing a 3G T site. Perhaps its a new one that they turned on to test, but isn't really live yet. Dunno.

Guest StuBFrost
Odd that, the thread made an interesting read too. Initially sounded to me like the phone was just dropping the data connection but not realising? Happens to me occasionally but I've not noticed AS problems (just a connection dropping, which I then have to manually cancel and reestablish by refreshing IE or loading something else). Did you ever try tapping the hang up key once to stop the data connection, and then either letting it reestablish itself (if you use DirectPush) or forcibly restarting it by loading/reloading a page in IE?

Anyway, hope you got it sorted.

I usually have to reset the phone to make it work again and it is still happening.......

Guest jchamier

I've got no roaming cone on my contract Vario II (with WM6), but I am getting a cone on my PrePay iMate SP5 smartphone (wm5).

Huh?

I've not tried directpush yet.

Guest chucky.egg

Sad to say the 3G signal appears to have gone again, and I'm back to poor GSM and a stroppy GPRS connection

Welcome back "Waiting for network"

:wub:

I've got 3 weeks til I'm eligible for a handset upgrade and 7 weeks til my contract ends. T may improve in that time, but then I know the V signal is already there. ;)

Guest chucky.egg

I've been on Vodafone for the past week, which has been totally reliable where I regularly go

Yesterday I ordered my PAC (cost me £50 to come out of contract 6 weeks early) and ordered the port over to Vodafone.

Not the solution I wanted - I end up paying a little less, but getting MUCH less. But I've come to depend on the data service, and for me T just no longer provide a viable GPRS service where I am (YMMV etc)

I'm a little sad to leave them - they completely revolutionised my use of my smartphone.