Do carries know which phone you have?

Guest Shikyo

Guest Shikyo

I have a friend that recently got an iPhone and is willing to sell me his samsung blackjack. I was wondering if I could put the simcard from my 2125 into the phone and have it work withought geting charged differently from AT&T?

You are not being charged based on what phone you use. You are being charged for what plan do you use. So if you insert your old SIM into the new phone it will work correctly. You may need to SIM-unlock the phone though.

Guest Shikyo

well the plan my friend had with the phone was $40 a month extra for his internet. I only play $20 now for internet on my phone. just dont want my bill to go up when I change to the phone.

Guest ombre33
well the plan my friend had with the phone was $40 a month extra for his internet. I only play $20 now for internet on my phone. just dont want my bill to go up when I change to the phone.

omg, your joking, right??

here's the answer:

You are not being charged based on what phone you use. You are being charged for what plan do you use. So if you insert your old SIM into the new phone it will work correctly. You may need to SIM-unlock the phone though.

You're priceplan is attached to your SIM card not you handset so you will have no problem there. As e-v@n said though, you may have to get the Blackjack unlocked.

Enjoy the new phone ;)

Edited by Guest

Guest bradmatejo

When you buy a new phone, carriers may try to "steer" you into a certain plan based on the phone you buy. For example, they charge more for the data plans on Blackberries and other pdas because they're expecting you'll use the internet more than someone taking the cheap-o Nokia POS. Now, the carrier CAN figure out what phone you're using is they really wanted to (the phone's IMEI # is transmitted when a call is made) but it's not something they look for. They've got better things to do.

You shouldn't even need to unlock the Blackjack. The 2125 and BJ are both Cingular/AT&T, and as such any Cingular/AT&T SIM should work. SIM unlocking is for when there is a carrier mis-match between phone and SIM. The caveat for you might be this: BJ is a 3G phone so you may need a 3G SIM if you don't already have one (and if the 2125 is your most recent phone you probably don't).

Guest Shikyo

Thanks Bradmatejo thats relaly what I was wondering. When I got my 2125 they killed my data plan cuz they said it wasnt available on my phone and tried charging me per kb ($400 bill) and made me spend a few hours with customer service to fix it. Just didnt want it to happen again.