3G Data, 2G Phone

Guest Blakey

Is it possible to set the Kaiser up so it only tries to use the 3G network for data and not for calls?

Assume I never want to use the Kairser to make a 3G video call. I don't want it constantly looking for the 3G network and switching back and forth between 2G and 3G where the 3G signal is bad as that drains the battery, and I can see zero reason for not staying 100% on the 2G network where calls (GSM) is concerned.

But I want to take advantage of the 3G possibilities for data traffic as I'm on unlimited data package. So where possible I want GPRS to use the 3G network.

Can you do this? Can you set the phone up to always use 2G/GSM for voice and only try and use 3G/GPRS for data?

Hope this makes sense.

Blakey

Guest Webreaper
Is it possible to set the Kaiser up so it only tries to use the 3G network for data and not for calls?

Assume I never want to use the Kairser to make a 3G video call. I don't want it constantly looking for the 3G network and switching back and forth between 2G and 3G where the 3G signal is bad as that drains the battery, and I can see zero reason for not staying 100% on the 2G network where calls (GSM) is concerned.

I don't think it "constantly looks for the 3G network". If you're referring to the 3G/E/G logo in the box, that's just telling you what service is available in the current coverage, and is part of the normal cell roaming activity.

You can force your GPRS connection to 3G-only, but that causes it to fail to connect if 3G isn't available, so not ideal. 3G is only used for voice calls if you explicitly select the video call button (the funny round thing on the dialler), so other than that you'll always be using 2G for voice calls.