sending sms commands to PPC

Guest stern

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I remotely access my home network using RDP and logmein. I have 2 machines connected using WI-FI through an Orange Livebox to the internet.

Occasionaly the connection between the machine and the router will drop ( I think I'm getting interferance as I live in a block of flats.) A restart of the pc usually sorts this but without any net connection I can't do anything until I am in front of the machine.

What I want to be able to do is leave a PPC connected to my desktop at home and use it as a back up modem so that in the event of dropped connectivity via wi-fi the pc can resort to GPRS or 3G connectivity to the net. I don't want to leave the modem connected 24/7 and I only want it to connect when needed.

The most realistic way I can think of doing this is by sending an SMS to the device with a command which will initiate the connction.

I know it must be physically possible to get this to happen it's just finding the application to run on the device that will listen for the command and make the connection.

I have seen devices installed in Vans that are used as tracking devices the sim is in a datacard and when it receives a sms the command is passed to the hardware to get the data and then connect via gprs and upload and update

Is there anything available already that will help me with my situation and if not how realistic is it to develop something simple that will work in the way I want?

I really appreciate in advance any help with this.

Thanks