HTC S730 'Wings' outed early... way to spoil a surprise!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

[teaser]Below are images of the HTC S730 'Wings', the device that we exclusively revealed will be announced on Monday at HTC's forthcoming press event.

An evolution of the popular HTC Vox, the Wings features a 400MHz Qualcomm processor, dual cameras, 3G and GPS (apparently). Feels a bit like a Smartphone Kaiser to me, right? ;)

We'll have more details on this device too from Monday's launch, but for now, drool over the pics below, once again courtesy of 'Superior Gadgets News' :wub: More pics are after the jump for news page readers...

P

s730-1.jpgs730-2.jpg

[/teaser]

s730-3.jpg

s730-4.jpg

Guest nickcornaglia

I totally agree. The keypad is more than enough if it means a slimmer phone with the same or better specifications.

Once again...I find myself in a pickle. This is the phone I was waiting for, but have since bought a touch and am familiar with the PPC again. This phone actually has better specs than the touch...but the question is...do I want to switch back to a SP?

I really need to weigh out the pros and cons (for me) on both and what I use my phone for most. It may come down to software as well...but the differences there are narrowing everyday.

I wish there weren't two OS's sometimes...I'm getting tired of making this choice!

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I cant wait for this phone, absolutely fantastic after the rumours it was cancelled! After using a PPC for a while now (and i like the Treo!), i'm looking forward to getting back into Smartphone properly ;) HTC have come a long way since the Canary :wub:

Guest Mechanicaldan

As much as I've been waiting for this phone, I must say that I wouldn't buy it for the looks. It's a bit homely in the dark charcoal grey. My v1415 (S710) with the chrome front, light grey keypad and keyboard keys, and rubberized black back looks so much better. I think the key layout on the keypad is better looking on the S710 also.

I would seriously consider the phone for the faster processor and GPS if it has it. The v1415 is just annoyingly slow as it opens applications or changes screens. I still love it, but it's annoying.

Guest jchamier
It does look nice, PLEASE let it have GPS!

Yeah, this does look impressive. GPS would just be the icing on a potentially very nice cake.

I'd like to see a 2-week-use and a 2-month-use review though, as it could replace my Hermes perhaps. I do like the Vox, but it reminded me (speed wise) of my C600, but the keyboard is cool.

(oh, if only T-mob would do dual SIMs !).

Guest philg2000

Jeez - this could be a real toughie....

I came to Hermes from C500 & C550, and I have played with a C600 on the occasions when I have felt the Hermes a little big, but as well as 3G and the speed generally, I always miss the touchscreen and the qwerty keypad.

I have even bought an O2 Graphite, but dont use it.

I was planning on moving to the Kaiser, purely to have the in built GPS.

But this 730 looks to have everything I would want, in a great little package, but of course without the touchscreen.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

When you say it has 3g does that mean HSDPA or just UMTS? If this had hsdpa it would be my dream device!! ;)

Almost for sure HSDPA. The chip set supports it and I see no reason for HTC to disable it. The GPS thing is a little tricky. It's also supported by the chip set, but I could see HTC disabling it and leaving out the required antenna, if they want to keep the Kaiser/TyTN II the only model with GPS (along with the strictly GPS-focused devices, of course) and hence keep it as their superior top model. Of course, this would mainly be the case with the Touch Slide, as the S730 could be their top smartphone (without touch screen) and hence not compete directly with the Kaiser. I guess' we'll know soon enough :wub:

Actually, looking at the picture with the S730 and Touch Slide side by side makes me want the Touch Slide more. I've tried the S710 which should be the same size as the S730, and it was pretty small. The only downsize was the thickness, and the Touch Slide seems to have approximately the same footprint as S710/S730 but is thinner and since I never don't really need a full qwerty keyboard, the choice should be simple - therefore I would be a little mad at HTC if GPS is in the S730 but not the Touch Slide...

Guest xorangefirex

It really looks like a nice device. I was always a fan of the Vox (short of the lack of touch screen), and I'm sure HTC won't fail to impress on its replacement. Although, this is a good phone I still would have to stick with my Kaiser. It just really has everything (as long as price is not an option) anyone would need. It clearly covers all the specs on this device and then some, but definitely a great little phone that many will be excited for.

I'd love to see a super slim smartphone with the specs of S730 without the sliding qwerty keyboard

I do totally agree with you... Why o Why do they keep having these utterly useless keyboards in a PHONE? If I want a keyboard I´d rather buy a PDA.

That said - then I have to buy this one, ´cause my C500 is simply worn out (and the specs look good)

/Jakob

Guest conflagrare
I do totally agree with you... Why o Why do they keep having these utterly useless keyboards in a PHONE? If I want a keyboard I´d rather buy a PDA.

That said - then I have to buy this one, ´cause my C500 is simply worn out (and the specs look good)

/Jakob

Did you notice that the smartphone market took over the PDA market?

Did you notice that the smartphone market took over the PDA market?

Yes..

But phone companies are screwing things up. A smartphone is a phone with computer like functionality Wiki - a PDA is a handheld computer with phone like functionality Wiki .

I can´t see why HTC stopped making phones (apart from the S310 and the crappy Mteor (Yes, I have one)). All other products from HTC (today I can count 19 (!) at htc.com) are all PDA´s - some of them with a keyboard - some without.

What really would impress the market would be a successor to the C500 - a phone(!) with the specs of the S730 but without the spacewasting keyboard. My best guess is that you would shave of 3mm of the thickness. And instead of being 25% bigger than the C500 they would actually be same size (based on volume). A product like that would sell big time, because the only NokiaProduct will be the N95 and SE would be P1i.

But; I´m really looking forward to see the S730 on the streets.

/J

Guest joemailey
I do totally agree with you... Why o Why do they keep having these utterly useless keyboards in a PHONE?

Because people like me who text and e-mail from there fone enjoy having the keyboard?

I can type faster, take notes faster, use excel and word easier.

I don't need or want a PDA.

I like the phone because i use it mainly as a phone and mainly for texting. well over 1000's msgs a month.

also use windows live messenger etc on it to when connected to wi-fi.

Edited by joemailey

Guest brisbane_guy

Hey good news if you go back to the Superior Gadgets website they have updated the S730 pics with the GPS enabled and working!!!! Kick ass fingers crossed it will be as easy to enable in the final release units...

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Na8y0wPGxNE/RwKMgT...GPS+on+S730.jpg

;)

This was in the comments:

superiorgadgets said...

This unit has WiFi, which is announced and ... GPS, which is actually working... at least we were able to start and use it with Google Maps. Picture of it will be attached to original post.

SuperiorGadgets

October 2, 2007 1:42 PM

Anonymous said...

OMG...!!!

that means that there is gps chip but it is enable only in your (test) device, or what?

October 2, 2007 2:37 PM

superiorgadgets said...

It means - it is enabled in our preproduction sample.

The productions unit will have the same chip - so GPS will be there. Will it be easily enabled as our preproduction - we cannot say?

We know what to do, so as soon as production units will arrive - we will check them for GPS right away.

SuperiorGadgets

October 2, 2007 2:45 PM

Guest modgnik
What really would impress the market would be a successor to the C500 - a phone(!) with the specs of the S730 but without the spacewasting keyboard. My best guess is that you would shave of 3mm of the thickness. And instead of being 25% bigger than the C500 they would actually be same size (based on volume).

/J

In the absence of a HTC device in the format and specs you describe may I suggest checking out the O2 Graphite? (they come sim unlocked)

I myself went the route: C500>imate SP5>Graphite.

I did think the S730 would be next but at 150 grams (40% heavier) it's not for me.

Guest dearsina

Once you start using a keyboard, you don't want to give it up, ever. Particularly if you're an avid SMS or Facebook user, it's a godsend. I've had the Vox now for a couple of months and I'm very impressed with it. Happy to see that it's replacement has 3G (because sometimes GPRS ain't all that) and a faster processor (which will come in handy when watching films).

Anybody fancy a lightly used Vox? :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.