Exclusive: nedge Previews... the Asus P750

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Now what is the ram size, it is not mentioned on the site??

Try clicking on the "Specification" link and all will be revealed...

Edited by Metoo

It is just 64mb, im crying why didnt they put 128 mb ram!!!!

Bad news.. I'm here in Bangkok right now and last week i attended a Commart Comtech electronics show. They were selling the Asus p750 and the Kaiser as well.

The Asus model they were selling is only 64 megs of ram and the screen is advertised as 2.6"(2.6 and 2.8 is so close i would have to measure it be 100%) as well. Everything else is the same though.. What a shame, i would snag this in a minute if it were 128 megs of ram.

I fit in the category of not liking qwerty phones. I still might buy it though. I'm using a dell Axim x51 right now and even though it only has 64 megs of ram I never get the out of memory message. And i play quite a bit of graphic intense games on it. Just need to turn off useless services and run Sk tools to clean out the memory.

Guest foosoomin

Hi Threadstarter,

I need your advice, is it possible to mark several or all phone contacts in the phone memory, then send out via Bluetooth or delete it ?

Does P750 has all the phone function needs ? Just like HTC devices

Will be waiting for your reply

Guest Dondieikan

I've been using the HP IPAQ h63xx since it came out - and it has served me well. The ONLY really serious drawback of the device, has been it's lack of enough memory. ( 56MB to be excact - less than 32 available when booted and freshly installed). And going on it's fourth year now, I think that's not too bad for a WM device.

But why ANY vendor is even considering going 64MB instead of at least 128MB I just don't get it.

These devices are in the high cost end of the market anyways, a few extra $/£ to double the RAM ( at least) is NOT what would kill the market value - quite the contrary I would say. As many ppl have pointed out, this is not firstly a phone, but a PDA u can call/sms with, if just making a phone call or send an sms is what u need/do then any of these devices are a huge overkill. The reason one prefer the PDA functionality, is because one needs it.

Simple.

It replaces the need for 2 devices, 1 phone and 1 PDA. Which really brings me to the point. I have ALOT of added functionality on my device, that I have to choose which one to deinstall in order to add another feature - due to lack of memory/space. ANY 64MB device is not even on my consideration list.

This is based on hands on experience, it may be subjective yes - but I just don't want to buy something I KNOW I'll get unhappy with during my first few months of use ......

Bad news.. I'm here in Bangkok right now and last week i attended a Commart Comtech electronics show. They were selling the Asus p750 and the Kaiser as well.

The Asus model they were selling is only 64 megs of ram and the screen is advertised as 2.6"(2.6 and 2.8 is so close i would have to measure it be 100%) as well. Everything else is the same though.. What a shame, i would snag this in a minute if it were 128 megs of ram.

I fit in the category of not liking qwerty phones. I still might buy it though. I'm using a dell Axim x51 right now and even though it only has 64 megs of ram I never get the out of memory message. And i play quite a bit of graphic intense games on it. Just need to turn off useless services and run Sk tools to clean out the memory.

Guest geccoblaze

HI Alex,

In a review of P526 I read that sound quality in phone conversations is very poor. Please, share your experience in this field with the P750.

thanks

Guest prajith

they were selling the P750!!! :(

I did not know that its already selling. Could not find any online seller though.

I don't mind 64MB ram, I really like this device.

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
HI Alex,

In a review of P526 I read that sound quality in phone conversations is very poor. Please, share your experience in this field with the P750.

thanks

P750's sound quality is fine, no complaints here!

I dont like that sliding keyboard at all.. I think it looks hedious..

I have been using HTC Touch, its a degrade I made by mistake from HP Ipaq 6828 I was using before.. I read many reviews on Cnet and other websites before buying HTC Touch. Everyone was just whining about how tedious and cumbersom it is to write SMS on that device. I coudnt care less about it so I bought it.. but when I switched on my HTC Touch for first time I found out that it has only 30 MB as main memory which is free for use!! I cant install any applications with such a low memory, right now all I am using my 'PDA' for is to make and receive calls..

I am eagerly waiting for the release of P750 at my place.. so that I can dump this good looking s*** HTC Touch for P750.

I just hope that its not the same with P750, they state it has 256 MB Main memory, but with all the built in GPS and other inhouse applications like Auto cleaner and stuff.. I hope it dosent eat up my memory and give me like just 50 MB for my use.

Edited by Pulak

I have been using HTC Touch, its a degrade I made by mistake from HP Ipaq 6828 I was using before.. I read many reviews on Cnet and other websites before buying HTC Touch. Everyone was just whining about how tedious and cumbersom it is to write SMS on that device. I coudnt care less about it so I bought it.. but when I switched on my HTC Touch for first time I found out that it has only 30 MB as main memory which is free for use!! I cant install any applications with such a low memory, right now all I am using my 'PDA' for is to make and receive calls..

I am eagerly waiting for the release of P750 at my place.. so that I can dump this good looking s*** HTC Touch for P750.

I just hope that its not the same with P750, they state it has 256 MB Main memory, but with all the built in GPS and other inhouse applications like Auto cleaner and stuff.. I hope it dosent eat up my memory and give me like just 50 MB for my use.

Funny, I've never had any problem fitting my applications onto devices with ~30MB free ROM. Just make sure you configure them so that all the big data (e.g. maps, rss feeds, mail attachments etc.) gets written to the SD card. In fact, if space gets tight, most applications will install totally on the card with little difference in performance. And it's not as if cards are expensive!

Edited by Metoo

Guest howiebcn

The new ASUS P750 has arrived at the Asia pacific region stores.

I bought a retail set at my local pda store (Penang, Malaysia) a couple of days ago and the retailer said it was officially launched in December for the Asian region. Not sure when it'll be available in Europe but it won't be available in North America due to it being only a single band 2100 HSDPA/tri band GSM.

Alex (nedge2k) has done a great job covering all the specs and OS so I'll focus my observation on the day to day use of the device. One word to describe the P750....WOW!

I'll start with issues that's been asked on this forum as well as some of my own observation about this device:

1) 64MB RAM (No change in retail production)

The first thing I did when I tested the device was to launch as many apps as possible to test if the OS would freeze up or slow down with only 64MB. What surprised me was that not only did it work fine, it didn't seem to have a noticeable lag.

I had opened the IE browser, Media player, GPS Catcher (A-GPS), File Explorer, Messenger, Pocket Word and Contacts app while making a phone call with WIFI, Bluetooth, and HSDPA data connections all on to try and crash/freeze the OS to no avail.

These are no lightweight apps and services so you get the picture. For those of you that were doubtful about 64MB RAM, the P750 performed well.

2) Battery life

The P750 comes with a 1300mAh battery. My main concern was would this phone with all these connectivity options get thru a full day. The answer is...it depends. Making a dozen short calls with Bluetooth on, running some apps, some HSDPA net surfing, and lots of clicking around the OS with screen at 3/4 brightness got it to 50%-30% remaining on the battery indicator after a full day. With less intense use, it lasted for about 2 full days of standby. This is excellent for a pocket pc compared to the Samsung i600/Blackjack smartphone which only barely lasted a day.

With full time in car GPS navigation with voice and routing, it managed s solid 3-4 hours of continuous use on battery. This is good considering that the screen is on full time with constant satellite fix and route calculations. Most will plug in the charger for in car navigation so battery life is not a problem. The great thing with the P750 retail package is it comes with a nice windshield mount and car charger. Asus is obviously marketing this device as a navigator as much as a phone.

What is nifty about the GPS radio is that when you use it to locate points on a map, it does this very quickly and then goes to sleep automatically. This increase the battery life significantly if you're using it around town on foot or to locate points of interest when constant navigation with voice, screen full time on and routing calculations are not needed. The P750 comes preinstalled with the GPS Travelog and Agps app. There are no routing software included. I've installed the MapKing, Tom Tom, and iGuidance GPS Navigation software and they all work flawlessly on the P750.

3) Keypad/Size/Weight/Screen

Ok I know it's a personal preference here but this is what works for me. I've owned the Samsung i600 qwerty, O2 Xphone II keypad (Smartphone OS), tested the HTC Tytn II keyboard side by side with the Asus P750 and this is what I've found.

The main thing that surprised me holding both the Tytn II and P750 in each hand was how much heavier and thicker the Tytn II felt! I had the impression the Tytn II was a pretty small device for a Pocket PC but compared to the P750, it was a brick. These were the two main devices I was considering as my full time communicator so I tried to be as objective as possible. I was neutral to a qwerty keyboard as well as a keypad but comparing and using both in hand totally convinced me the P750 keypad was right...for me.

The Tytn II had to be used with both hands for typing at all times and I also found it easier and faster to type on the P750 using the XT9 predictive text function. I can type pretty fast on qwerty keys from my practice on the Samsung i600 but the predictive text on the P750 was even faster and I didn't have to take my eyes off the screen to find the keys. There was definitely no lag with the XT9 predictive text.

My criteria was simple for my new device. I wanted a full function business phone I could use daily as well as a navigation device for my travels. The P750 fits perfectly in addition to fitting in the pocket just right without being too heavy or bulky.

There you have it folks, the new Asus P750. It may not be a phone that's right for everybody, but it certainly will be right for a lot. Fyi, the phone cost Rm$2699 (USD$810).

Regards,

Howard PG

Edited by howiebcn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.