No imei-check Kaiser unlock (or Florin_m vs pof)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Swampie

I just find it strange that someone can claim that taking HTC's copyrighted software, changing a few bits of it and then selling it, could then legitimately claim that they now hold the copyright of the modified software. Isn't that kind of like saying - I'll take a CD, rip it to MP3 format, and then I hold the copyright for the MP3 version...

My point is that both guys appear to have hacked other people's software - maybe Florin did it first, but his is still a hack of HTC's software, and complaining that someone then later hacked/reverse engineered his software is really double standards. It's okay for him to do it to HTC's software, but not for others to do it to his?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Thumper Net

Now finally having gone through all the pages ;) now why dont we try to arange a live chat on palringo with both florin and pof online to do a real debate also it gives everyone a chance to put in their point of view , just an idea and a good way to use the palringo application :D

On one point a way back about if its legal for holland to unlock the imei it is , go to any market and you will find sim unlockers there.

There is also a company here that does the same a florin but cheaper , florin has done a good job in the past and recieved alot of free adverts here on modaco with every unlocker he has made .

All htc phones bought here which dont contain a operators rom but the original htc rom are simlock free , as all t-mobile phones are girly coloured ( pink ) i would have thought now most guys would get an unbranded htc version.

back on topic the only bit i find strange is if the unlocker is ready why does paul have to post his phone ? i cant see paul leaking the unlocker he is mr modaco and trust worthy :wub:

Have you never wanted to stand up for someone being called a thief when he wasn't around to say he wasn't? Never got annoyed with people who provide platforms for others who make those slurs with no critical anaylsis ( at time of original posting)? Never wanted people to present balanced facts in a story?

Ok then...

M.S

In fact, I am largely with Pof on this one, however am taking my lead from the tone of his post over on XDA and not from the rather naughty ones here that are levelling all sorts of allegations (again unproved as far as I can see) about paul. I have made my points to paul in previous posts and he has responed very civilly, and we shall agree that we have slightly different viewpoints.

What I don't understand is all the "modaco is conspiring againt those who speak out for the truth" posts.

Now, Pof is now around, and has responded himself - so why are we all carrying on this argument? Everyone who has read the thread is aware of both sides, although admittedly, as I have stated already, I am not comfortable with the screen grab remaining on the first post compared to a link to pofs response. If Pof is bothered, he will contact Paul himself.

You just seem to be seeing malicious intent in absolutely everything when I don't think it is the case

Thats all.

Guest jimbouk

FWIW, my take:

1) Florin developed some of the unlocker - and decided to start charging - his choice

2) POF, in the spirit of XDA, tried to help people unlock for free

3) Florin has publicly thrown all of his toys out of his pram - in such a way that very few people would want to enter into a business relationship with him

4) Paul posted it as it is of public interest - particularly to the new and future Kaiser owners

5) One simply doesnt post screengrabs of other forums on a forum - so the comments re it all being unfair that Florin's rant got posted and only a link to POF's responses are just stupid.

Assuming that we all agree more or less with that, then can we now get on with life and stop using this topic to fight unrelated battles?

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Too much info? Damning with faint praise? Not that it's praise, but be saying 'he's taken his slurs offline into PM's' implies he's done the right thing to make it private yet his argument is still poor. Surely just 'markukcouk has pm'd me to continue discussion' would have done?....

M.S

Hey MS.... I read his comment, but was going to leave it - but actually you are right to bring it up.

He's quite happy to pretend to be the peacemaker - but he is anything but. I PM'd him exactly why I said what I said, which in my mind are pretty damning justifcations. I PM'D him purely to keep it out of this thread, because I'm sure he would love to lock it, move on, and forget this almighty screw up. However, he brought it back here (I'm guessing so I'll respond and he can lock it.)

Very 2 faced.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Now finally having gone through all the pages ;) now why dont we try to arange a live chat on palringo with both florin and pof online to do a real debate also it gives everyone a chance to put in their point of view , just an idea and a good way to use the palringo application :D

On one point a way back about if its legal for holland to unlock the imei it is , go to any market and you will find sim unlockers there.

There is also a company here that does the same a florin but cheaper , florin has done a good job in the past and recieved alot of free adverts here on modaco with every unlocker he has made .

All htc phones bought here which dont contain a operators rom but the original htc rom are simlock free , as all t-mobile phones are girly coloured ( pink ) i would have thought now most guys would get an unbranded htc version.

back on topic the only bit i find strange is if the unlocker is ready why does paul have to post his phone ? i cant see paul leaking the unlocker he is mr modaco and trust worthy :wub:

I suspect Florin DOESNT have a software hack, and the phone needs to be sent away because of some minor hardware mod which we've seen on some devices.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hey MS.... I read his comment, but was going to leave it - but actually you are right to bring it up.

He's quite happy to pretend to be the peacemaker - but he is anything but. I PM'd him exactly why I said what I said, which in my mind are pretty damning justifcations. I PM'D him purely to keep it out of this thread, because I'm sure he would love to lock it, move on, and forget this almighty screw up. However, he brought it back here (I'm guessing so I'll respond and he can lock it.)

Very 2 faced.

Jeez, it never stops does it!

Almighty screw up? Only in your eyes.

I think it's in your favour for people to know you PM'd me re: those comments TBH! Your 'pretty damning justifications'? Don't think so!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
I suspect Florin DOESNT have a software hack, and the phone needs to be sent away because of some minor hardware mod which we've seen on some devices.

Then you suspect wrongly.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Very 2 faced.

How so?

I posted a VERY measured and honest reponse to your PM - which i'm happy to post here if you like, and didn't contradict anything i'd said anywhere else!

P

Guest Thumper Net

I think the days of operator versions of htc phones is coming to an end anyway , it is far cheaper for all networks to use the htc versions and via the website or maybe an application for the gprs settings on the phone itself .

All the operators do is screw up a phone , orange with stupid icons and tmobile with the gay pink colours and ugly icons and text, as for simlocks i can understand on a pay as you go phone but a contract phone i feel is wrong its time the operators stopped that as they know the locks are removed ,as you sign up for a year or 2 you pay for the right to a simlock free phone , which is another good reason not to buy a operators version of a phone , wait longer for updates ( if they give them ) and have to debrand all the rubbish they put in , go for a simlock free htc phone , not good for the simlock companys like imei-check but better for you ;)

Guest MARKUKCOUK
How so?

I posted a VERY measured and honest reponse to your PM - which i'm happy to post here if you like, and didn't contradict anything i'd said anywhere else!

P

yes - then made a childish comment in this thread.

You are right - it never stops. You don't want flaming in the thread, so I stop, and send a more adult PM, which you then want to post this thread.

DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT.

Oh and if you are desperate to post it in this thread, do it, and feel free to post mine too. I didn't PM you for any reason other than to keep it out of this thread.

Guest Paul (MVP)
yes - then made a childish comment in this thread.

You are right - it never stops. You don't want flaming in the thread, so I stop, and send a more adult PM, which you then want to post this thread.

DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT.

Oh and if you are desperate to post it in this thread, do it, and feel free to post mine too. I didn't PM you for any reason other than to keep it out of this thread.

It wasn't a childish comment all.

I thought it was worth noting that although you took it 'out of the the thread', you in no way posted any justification for the rudeness earlier in the topic - you can't just 'question people's morals' in a public discussion and it be OK.

I'm not desperate to post anything, I suggest we have irreconcilable differences and leave it at that.

P

Guest The Doctor

Ok, I think everyone has had quite enough of the pointless flaming in this thread.

Paul reported the news item as best he could at the time, he then edited it as he thought appropriate when he got pof's side of the story. He has justified why and how as best he can, and I doubt anymore flaming or such-like will yield anything thats remotely relevant or helpful to the original discussion.

Sure, you can disagree, you can say how it could've been better reported, or how you would've done it and so on and so forth, and I'm sure Paul will read your comments and respect your opinions. But personal attacks, and questioning of peoples integrity, is not on, no matter how you slice it. And that comment is not aimed at a few individuals, but everyone, whether they agree with the news item or not.

It ends HERE.

If you feel a dying need to continue flaming each other, please do so via PM, but don't bring it back into this thread, hence the acronym PM, Private Message.

Phil