The official HTC Wings (S730) 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

It looks like perhaps something has changed as they near production?

Both myself and gears have been unable to get a fix, despite being able to successfully get a GPS 'connection' ;)

P

Guest Monolithix

In seriousness i reckon it's likely an antenna issue. Either there isn't one and the device is *just* managing to grab a few sats or its not looked after during manufacture and subjected to damaging conditions. I still expect the users of the final version to have little luck getting a fix with the odd lucky one actually managing it! Odd how HTC decided it were more cost effective not to remove the reciever chip than to worry about supporting it...

• 2 weeks later...

From the lack of updates/answers in this thread (and others) and the reported lack of interest from carriers it seems the HTC Wings/720 is a dead duck in the water, much like the Htc Cavalier (supposed successor to the T-Mobile Dash/Mda mail).

Does any one else think the same or have information to the contrary?

It seems everyone is disappointed as it appears not to have GPS. There is a new vid on U-Tube seven minutes long showing it (in Italian) that is worth a look, just put htc S730 in search. ;)

Guest hotlips69
From the lack of updates/answers in this thread (and others) and the reported lack of interest from carriers it seems the HTC Wings/720 is a dead duck in the water, much like the Htc Cavalier (supposed successor to the T-Mobile Dash/Mda mail).

Does any one else think the same or have information to the contrary?

The GPS was always going to be the icing on the cake for the S730, so for me, it won't be missed THAT much.

I've been waiting for well over 6 months for this phone to actually be released with numerous release dates coming & going, so hope that the current official 6th Dec will come true!

Expansys have already well over 500 pre-orders for this phone.

Guest hotlips69

I have a new question about the S730 that I'd like answered asap please.

Is the mini USB/charging area (at the bottom of the phone) in exactly the same place as the S710 as I want to purchase a desktop charger stand for the S730 to sit on and be charged at the same time and the only ones around are for the S710. ;)

Guest caraboy

Have some questions too. I now use a htc s710, and I like it very much. Can you compare s730 with s710 and tell us how fast is the new processor? I mean, open the calendar, then press the homescreen. Open for example resco explorer, then switch to another background app. I installed facade to be able to see more appointments on my homescreen, but when I press the home button I have a small delay in drawing it. Is this still happening in s730?

PS: I like the new homescreen, can it be ported to s710? :( I found some replicas in this forum, but they all have some flaws. ;)

Guest pdacrazy

Hi Paul,

This is my first time I am writing under MoDaCo and I really love to read your all logical comments about windows mobile OS.

I am planning to buy my new windows device and I am thinking about HTC S730 or HTC tytn II. Personally I prefer S730 but it would be very helpful if you could provide me the answers of following queries. My main motive is email access and IM chat on the device

• Can I make calls to PC or phones using skype flawlessly under wifi connection on S730
  • Can I do voice & video IM chat also using skype or any messenger using front camera under wifi connection on S730

Thanks in advance ;) .

Guest pdacrazy

Hi Paul,

This is my first time I am writing under MoDaCo and I really love to read your all logical comments about windows mobile OS.

I am planning to buy my new windows device and I am thinking about HTC S730 or HTC tytn II. Personally I prefer S730 but it would be very helpful if you could provide me the answers of following queries. My main motive is email access and IM chat on the device

1. Can I make calls to PC or phones using skype flawlessly under wifi connection on S730

2. Can I do voice & video IM chat also using skype or any messenger using front camera under wifi connection on S730

Thanks in advance ;) .

Guest caraboy
Hi Paul,

1. Can I make calls to PC or phones using skype flawlessly under wifi connection on S730

2. Can I do voice & video IM chat also using skype or any messenger using front camera under wifi connection on S730

Thanks in advance ;) .

I can answer your first question. Yes you can make calls to pc using skype for smartphone. It works on my htc s710 with windows mobile 6 and with a slower processor, it will work for sure on s730.

Guest Doktor M@buse

Hi Paul.

Can you already tell something about the slider mechanism? Is it more reliable compared to the HTC S710?

What about the card slot cover? Same question here. What about the quality?

I just love my HTC Vox, but the circumstances I've mentioned above are just awful.

Guest caraboy
Hi Paul.

Can you already tell something about the slider mechanism? Is it more reliable compared to the HTC S710?

What about the card slot cover? Same question here. What about the quality?

I just love my HTC Vox, but the circumstances I've mentioned above are just awful.

The card slot cover is just to annoing! And I can`t get rid of it because I risk losing my card. How can you make such a stupid cover? <_<

Hey Paul, Im on AT&T in the states which uses UMTS1900. I've seen conflicting spec sheets all over the net on which UMTS bands the S730 supports, some say UMTS 850/1900/2100 but the HTC site says UMTS 2100 only. Do you have any way to confirm which bands are supported, and if the S730 will do 3G on US AT&T?

Hi guys, finally HTC S730 in my hand. I have a prerelease version with official HTC rom but with internal GPS ENABLED.

I've tested with TOMTOM NAVIGATOR 6 + fakecursor.

Satellite work and fixed. I selected com 4 with HTCGPSTool.exe and all is good.

I know official rom will disable internal GPS, so if anyone help me to dump this rom (WITH INTERNAL GPS ENABLED) i'll share it.

Hi guys, finally HTC S730 in my hand. I have a prerelease version with official HTC rom but with internal GPS ENABLED.

I've tested with TOMTOM NAVIGATOR 6 + fakecursor.

Satellite work and fixed. I selected com 4 with HTCGPSTool.exe and all is good.

I know official rom will disable internal GPS, so if anyone help me to dump this rom (WITH INTERNAL GPS ENABLED) i'll share it.

Guest hotlips69

Just received my shiny new S730 today and have given it a good 10 hour charge before turning it on to make sure the battery is conditioned correctly.

I must just say how bloody FAST it is!

Very impressed with the all round speed of the apps.

Haven't got a connection for another day or so as my SIM doesn't become active until Vodafone transfers my info from Orange.

It's got ROM version 1.31.405.1 if that means anything to anyone.

Guest caraboy

Can you please .zip the new htc homescreen? :( I would like to test it on my htc s710, to see if it`s working. You must copy the \Application Data\Home folder. Can you do that?

cldchc, how can you make fakecursor work on windows mobile 6? What release do you have?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.