T-Mobile launch Shadow range with slide equipped Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
shadowopen.jpg
Meet the T-Mobile Shadow... a Windows Mobile 6 Standard (Smartphone) device sporting a sliding form factor with a SureType style keyboard.

Original scopped at BoyGeniusReport, the Shadow features an innovative new UI, an unusual design (note the rotating job dial) available in either 'sage' or 'copper' and is shipping from this Wednesday for $149.99 on a 2 year contract at T-Mobile USA... an excellent price point amongst it's peers.

In all honesty, the specs are acceptable, but not ground breaking. While the Shadow features does include WiFi and that neat SureType (2 letters per key, aka 20 key) keyboard, it makes do with the same 2 Megapixel camera and 200MHz TI OMAP / Quad band EDGE platform we've seen on so many devices of late. That said, the 2 megapixel camera trumps the 1.3 megapixel offering on AT&T's latest Smartphone, the Pantech Duo - also shipping this week!

Interested? We'd love to see some great pics and hear your thoughts on the device, until such time as we can get our greasy little hands on one (i'm keeping a close eye on eBay ;))

The product pages at T-Mobile USA are as follows...

We're told that this device will be the first in a line of 'Shadow' devices from T-Mobile. If the Shadow line is to bring 'sexy' to Windows Mobile, then that's gotta be a good thing!

P

EDIT: Read PCWorld's first look at the phone

Guest sxywill2005

A very nice phone although the screen looks oddly positioned. There seems to be quite a bit of space between the keys and jog dial to the screen. Personally, I would like the screen a wee bit bigger.

Nice phone though :(

Why is it that T-Mobile USA are starting to get some super sweet PDA's? They can't hog the wing or the shadow forever ;)

Guest steviesoflyy

Im going to get this as soon as it gets out. I want to run PocketNES on it but i would have to unlock it anyone know or think that I would be able to unlock it using the SDA unlock app? If I can everything else should be easy from there...

Guest steviesoflyy
I would think app unlocking won't even be necessary just for PocketNES?

P

Hopefully I won't have too. So if I get the Unlimited data plan from T-Mobile and I unlock the phone does the data plan not work since that voids the contract to unlock the phone unless its 90 days later and T-mobile gives you the unlock code??

Guest steviesoflyy

ohhh okay I understand now. I guess I'll just have to wait til it comes out to findout if im going to need to do an APP unlock or not hopefully not.

Guest Monolithix

It's nice HTC are starting to move in the right direction with their handset design, but they're still 6 months+ behind the competition now imho. We have sexy HTC devices (Touch/Dual/Shadow) and high specced HTC devices (Kaiser/Heremes legacy etc). Wheres the combination of the two which manufacturers like Nokia, SE etc are currently touting?

(To be honest, GPS aside, this is another "Come on HTC stick a decent camera on all your new devices" rant ;))

Guest lgmildwill
Im going to get this as soon as it gets out. I want to run PocketNES on it but i would have to unlock it anyone know or think that I would be able to unlock it using the SDA unlock app? If I can everything else should be easy from there...

I just got the Shadow. You can app unlock using PHM RegEditor without any issues; just google APP UNLOCK Smartphone.

So far, I app unlock my unit so I can overclock the 200MHz OMAP -250+MHz (pretty stable so far) and double the GLYPHCACHE numbers so windows/meuns load a bit faster.

Cheers...

Guest chaznet

Any chance a Shadow sub-forum will be created? Just got mine a couple days ago -- seems like a hacker's dream phone -- especially finding a way to customize that great new homescreen ;)

One big issue I've run into and can't figure out is how to shut off those LOUD touch-tone noises that happen when you start start pressing keys while in the homescreen to start dialing a number, or look up a contact. In all my other WM devices, the last option in the Sounds setting screen has been 'Keypad Tone' which could be shut off. 'Keypad Tone' doesn't appear in the Sounds settings screen on my Shadow, tried to search the registry for something -- no luck...

Edited by chaznet

Guest chaznet

Hi -- who knows if a dedicated Shadow forum will be added here, so for now I created one at a freebie forum site. Don't really know what I'm doing, but it seems to be working OK. If they add a sub-forum here, I'll just cut 'n paste it all over and close the other one.

Here's the link: http://shadow.myfreeforum.org

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.