The 'Redbox' patch for Sprint Touch / Touch Dual

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
Screen001.png
If you're using a Sprint Touch or Touch Dual, then you're probably using one of those funky new 12 / 20 key keyboards that HTC have provided with the devices (and are soon to provide for the GSM Touch). They're awesome, but for me they have 1 flaw. When you are inputting text, sometimes the OS will switch the pad to ABC mode, and sometimes you will be in XT9 mode, and it's often not immediately obvious if the state has changed.

Enter RedBox ;)

RedBox replaces the standard black 'ABC' indicator on both keyboards for both portrait and landscape, with an indicator featuring a red box. It's so simple, yet works amazingly well. If the OS switches you back to ABC, you notice straight away, and can either return to T9 or enter text via multitap as appropriate.

To install, just run the attached CAB file.

Enjoy :(

P

MoDaCo_RedBox.cab

What good timing. I've been using the Touch keyboard on my HTC Mogul for a few days, and have noticed this problem. My Sprint Touch should arrive for review tomorrow, so this will be a welcome install. Thanks.

The Sprint version of the Touch is coming out Sunday. I'm reviewing it on another Windows Mobile site. The RedBox is working perfectly with the Touch keyboard on my Mogul, what a great idea. Thanks for making it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blampke

Installed on my Sprint Touch and nothing has changed, despite soft-reset. Could Touchpal or the HTC Home Customizer be intefering?

NEVERMIND - Installed the CAB thru Activesync and it works like a charm. Thanks!

BB

Edited by blampke

Guest tibor22

Paul,

I know it's a bit 'off-topic' but I'm just dreaming about using the XT9 predictive feature for my native language: Hungarian.

My PDA (Artemis) runs a cooked ROM, Tom's B&B v4.3 WWE that includes Touch Keyboard / Keypad and XT9 but only for the 'biggest' languages (English, French, Spanish, etc.). But while browsing Modaco I found out that there is a very similar system, also made by Tegic, for the HTC Vox and Excalibur Smartphones, supporting a lot of languages, INCLUDING HUNGARIAN! You kindly made it avaible for the forum members.

So my question is: would it be possible somehow to use the Hungarian related files from the Smartphone system in order to add Hungarian (or other 'smaller' language) support to Touch Keyboard's XT9? Sorry if my question is silly, I'm not a developer, just a user striving for a better and easier usage of my PDA to the greatest extent possible...

Since you and Modaco has helped a lot to our community, I thought this is the right place to discover my dream.

Best regards,

ctibor

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tibor22
I imagine that's possible, yeah, i'll check it out. Watch this space...

P

Hi Paul,

Any promising news about the possibility of using Smartphone xt9 language tools for the PDA xt9 system? :(

cheers,

Tibor

• 1 month later...
Guest boogiecornejo

now this may be a bit off topic but id really want to turn xT9 off permanently but cant seem to find a way to do it.what worked for the touch doesnt seem to work for the dual coz of the hardware keyboard.i want to use the hardware keyboard for writing and when i try to do this(being from a different country using a different language)xT9 just gets in the way.i want abc as the default.can any one help me with this?if no one can maybe the next best thing is to be able to install a tagalog(my native language) xT9.is this possible?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Are there any recent devices with Tagalog T9? That's the Philippines right? You could theoretically disable T9 altogether with some choice reg hacks...

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.