Questions about HP IPAQ 610

Guest spider

Guest nihonjin

does anyone know if you can use this phone to make voip calls? I would like to configure the phone to dial via my voip provider whilst at home using my wireless network. Thanks.

Guest christosr

Hi all!

First let me say a big thanks to all the people posting their valuable feedback on this forum.

For the last couple of weeks I am also an owner of the 614c.

I really like the piece, but I must admit that I didn't get much time to play with it (I got a twin-SIM card and I mostly use my old phone).

POS:

All in one device (GPS is great - tried it with Destinator 7 and Pocket Navigator) - WiFi seems to work OK

Fast proccessor

Smart wheel

NEG

:D

Battery life is h o r r i b l e - one day... even with this extremely limited usage that I have gone through....(thank God I kept my old phone too...)

BTW = have you people tried to install the new bootloader update listed on HP??

HP iPAQ 600 Series Business Navigator - Bootloader Update Using Rom Update Utility (RUU) for Power Source Monitoring

Type:BIOS Version: MP 1.01.00 (2 Apr 2008) Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows Mobile 6 File name: sp38905.exe (1.0 MB)

If yes, does it worth it? does it really help with the battery issue?

The second big put-off with HP is that they don't seem to respect their clients, especially when it come to localization/internalization. How can someone explain that a client living i.e. in Cyprus (where Greek is the main language), where HP has authorized big-names distributors etc, gets a phone/pda from them, that does not support input in Greek language??? Even xT9 website refers to a database of more than 20 languages... Before getting the phone, I was assured by the local distributor that I will be able to choose the input language and among the available languages will be Greek.

Guess what? I only get to choose English/Spanish/Italian....!!!

According to HP Asset Viewer:

My ROM Version is MP-1.00.01 and the product ID: FA992AA#ABB - also the " Country ID" is listed as ABB

Can someone advise on steps for changing the input language (for xT9)? I have tried the MoDaCo/Paul's set of languages "MoDaCo_Vox_eT9_Language_Pack" , it was installed fine, but when I tried to choose Greek (and any other languages besides the three above) it wouldn't accept it...

I am hesitant to ask about Greek input by the HW keyboard, since I might get the "wait for XDA-DEV" stuff... Any help though will be appreciated.

It seems that people who want to use other-than-English input languages, may need to wait for XDA-DEV or similar forums/people who might put their time into developing modified ROM versions etc... In the meantime, HP just sits there and collects our valuable Euros...

:(

Apologies for the long post.

Cheers

Christos R (CY)

Edited by christosr

Guest satiros
Hi all!

First let me say a big thanks to all the people posting their valuable feedback on this forum.

I really like the piece, but I must admit that I didn't get much time to play with it (I got a twin-SIM card and I mostly use my old phone).

POS:

All in one device (GPS is great - tried it with Destinator 7 and Pocket Navigator) - WiFi seems to work OK

Fast proccessor

Smart wheel

NEG

Battery life is h o r r i b l e - one day... even with this extremely limited usage that I have gone through....(thank God I kept my old phone too...)

HP iPAQ 600 Series Business Navigator - Bootloader Update Using Rom Update Utility (RUU) for Power Source Monitoring

Type:BIOS Version: MP 1.01.00 (2 Apr 2008) Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows Mobile 6 File name: sp38905.exe (1.0 MB)

The second big put-off with HP is that they don't seem to respect their clients, especially when it come to localization/internalization. How can someone explain that a client living i.e. in Cyprus (where Greek is the main language), where HP has authorized big-names distributors etc, gets a phone/pda from them, that does not support input in Greek language??? Even xT9 website refers to a database of more than 20 languages... Before getting the phone, I was assured by the local distributor that I will be able to choose the input language and among the available languages will be Greek.

My ROM Version is MP-1.00.01 and the product ID: FA992AA#ABB - also the " Country ID" is listed as ABB

Can someone advise on steps for changing the input language (for xT9)? I have tried the MoDaCo/Paul's set of languages "MoDaCo_Vox_eT9_Language_Pack" , it was installed fine, but when I tried to choose Greek (and any other languages besides the three above) it wouldn't accept it...

I am hesitant to ask about Greek input by the HW keyboard, since I might get the "wait for XDA-DEV" stuff... Any help though will be appreciated.

It seems that people who want to use other-than-English input languages, may need to wait for XDA-DEV or similar forums/people who might put their time into developing modified ROM versions etc... In the meantime, HP just sits there and collects our valuable Euros...

Cheers

Christos R (CY)

hi christos

im george from greece i have the same problems with greek

but i asked on page 10 of this forum no one answered

HOW CAN I WRITE TEXT(english)? CAN SOMEONE HELP

the keyboard prints only numbers word or messaging

i have selected xt9 as input nothing happens

Your thoughts

george

greece

Guest christosr
hi christos

Your thoughts

george

greece

Hi George

I have the same problem as well... it is very annoying.

Hope someone is reading this and provide some help.

about the Greek language:

I was told that one of the few ways that a user could input Greek is by using a software-based keyboard... (which is really annoying).

One solution that a friend suggested is the "Resco Keyboard PRO".

I have just installed it. Seems OK with Greek. But the hardware keyboard, again, only gives numbers.....

Did you contact HP Greece to get an official answer in regard to the "no-Greek" language issue (especially with the xT9 available languages)? It would be nice to have their response! I am very curious...

In the meantime we should cross our fingers that somebody will put some work on developing a new ROM version (or somekind of other fix/patch) that would solve the problem...

Hope the XDA are listening...

Looking forward to your answer.

Christos R (CY)

Edited by christosr

Guest satiros
hi christos

Your thoughts

george

greece

christos use xcpuscallar at autoscale it must help just bought havent had at list five cycles charge discharge

Guest Chucky7
Hi all!

POS:

Fast proccessor

Smart wheel

NEG

Cheers

Christos R (CY)

hi,

you say your current hp is FA992AA#ABB, according to the hp quickspecs pdf (page 5) this model is for mainly the european region (Nordic countries, Eastern Europe, rest of EMEA, UK, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark,Bulgaria, South Africa, Switzerland, Iceland, Israel, Luxembourg)

Looking at the spec sheet there is a model for Greece (assuming its localised for the Greek language) is FA992AA#AB7 Greece

has anybody got this model and and can they confirm whether it is localised for the greek language????

see the attached specs sheet below.

Jase.

hp614c.pdf

Edited by Chucky7

Guest satiros

hey guys

CAN YOU WRITE IN ENGLISH CHARACTERS USING THE KEYBOARD?

PLEASE ANSWER!

BECAUSE SO FAR NOONE HAS ANSWERED

CHRISTOS RESCO PCM HIKEYBOARD ARE SOFT SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE OF COURSE THERE 2.

MONDAY IM CALLING HP!

CHUCKY YOU ARE RIGHT BUT IVE GOT ABB ALSO !!

hey guys

CAN YOU WRITE IN ENGLISH CHARACTERS USING THE KEYBOARD?

PLEASE ANSWER!

BECAUSE SO FAR NOONE HAS ANSWERED

CHRISTOS RESCO PCM HIKEYBOARD ARE SOFT SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE OF COURSE THERE 2.

MONDAY IM CALLING HP!

CHUCKY YOU ARE RIGHT BUT IVE GOT ABB ALSO !!

i have the ABB and I live in Sweden.

I can use the hardware keyboard to type messages but only in English language. I have contact HP support several times

and it's the worst support there is. The incompetent people working there even told me the hardware keyboard is only

used for typing NUMBERS!!! LOL... They have no clue what they are talking about.

Also HP wont release any other languages for this unit. And neither will there be any update to 6.1 or better.

I'm not sure why HP has several models listed in the quickguide since all of them only work with English, Spanish and Italian XT9.

I use an on screen keyboard hack for the swedish characters. You can do a seach on XDA for something called :"PHONEPAD".

It has support for alot of diffrerent languages and it works with XT9 as well.

You can always try the "block recognisition" and write your letters on the screen. But I agree it's bad you can not type in your native

language with the hardware keyboard. I've used different QTEK / HTC units before and even though the OS were in English the hardware

keyboard could be used to type in Swedish.

So for me.. No more HP. The lack of support and not listening to customers request.

Guest Kalif
does anyone know if you can use this phone to make voip calls? I would like to configure the phone to dial via my voip provider whilst at home using my wireless network. Thanks.

Yes iPAQ 614c has ability to make voip calls using SIP providers ( I'm using voipdiscount.com without any problems thru wifi) but ... there is no software preinstalled and available (yet) from HP. To make voip calls you will have to install special packages (i found it on xda-dev forums) of programs. Please find it attached.

how to install:

1. Install VOIP Drivers.cab

2. Install MajikVoIP.CAB

3. SipConfigTool_2_0_0.CAB

4. Under programs you will have a SIPConfig Tool where you type you VOIP provider settings and credentials (save settings to the devices) Ther is also an option to enable internet calls via 3G networks - haven't tried that

5. Perform Soft Reset

6. After SR you should have internet calls plugin on the today screen and when you go to the phone settings there will be a tab INTERNET

remarks:

I used only via WIFI and it works quite well, the internal speaker is used (not like in many htc devices. external speaker).

VoIP.zip

Guest Kalif

Your thoughts

george

greece

Well of course i can write text via hardware keypad. On the device with factory settings you should be able to write text - the xT9 dict is turned on by default and it can be set to the standard ABC but it will change back to the xT9 every time you want to write new message, to make ABC input mode set to default you have to install a special cab to witch I posted a link few post before.

Only when I've got only numbers was when i was playing with the registry and some packages for xT9 languages. I was trying to add polish language but without success and any modifications to the registry keys responsible for xT9 make me write numbers only so finally i gave up :D

Have you install some software with other languages like on screen keyboard or additional languages packages?

Guest satiros
Hi,

This "Phantom Scroll bug" to a better word, still exists in (OS:1.00.01, FW 0.77). To be honest on my handset (uk version) I have not noticed this bug before, as you say it is only evident if when you are in the phone function. You access a contact name directly and then when the list of options appear; call mobile, call home, Send Txt Msg Etc.. You attempt to select by scrolling down/up with single movement, NOT with the rotate movement on the smart Wheel then the selection will scroll continously untill it reaches the top or bottom.

I have'nt noticed it before because previously I have used the Rotate function on the smart Wheel instead.

Until HP fixes this minor bug (have you emailed them to let them know of its existance yet) I would just use the rotate function of the smart wheel when accessing the contacts from the phone app or the side Jog Wheel.

Jase

i have an updated version 1.00.3 fw 0.81 i live in greece

can someone tell me why i cant enter text in word or messaging using the keyboard

Guest Chucky7
i have an updated version 1.00.3 fw 0.81 i live in greece

can someone tell me why i cant enter text in word or messaging using the keyboard

Hi,

You have a #ABB model which means xt9 should have English/Italian/Spanish.

So you are not getting any english letters appearing when you type using the hardware keyboard in messaging or Word.

When did this behaviour occur, was it always like this or has only recently started occuring??

what other programs are installed on your machine??

I have a #ABB model (UK)

My Registry Details for XT9 are in the attached screen shots.

HKLM\Software\Tegic\et9

Use a registry editor and see what the differences are (don't change anything yet) between your machine and mine?

Jase

post-334132-1208727851_thumb.jpg

post-334132-1208727865_thumb.jpg

post-334132-1208727871_thumb.jpg

post-334132-1208727877_thumb.jpg

post-334132-1208727884_thumb.jpg

post-334132-1208727890_thumb.jpg

post-334132-1208727896_thumb.jpg

post-334132-1208727902_thumb.jpg

post-334132-1208727909_thumb.jpg

Guest hungryJack
There are 4 specific Memory Areas on the iPaq:

STORAGE: Which is the User-available space for files.

iPAQ STORE: A Specially partitioned part of the ROM which is the User-available space for files.

PROGRAM: Which is the Phones RAM (128MB, 112.35MB OS available) (acts similar to the RAM on your PC, used for loading & running programs only).

STORAGE CARD: If you got a microSD card in the Phone.

Note if you do a lot of surfing in Mobile Internet Explorer, then the cache will use a number of megabytes with temporary internet files.

The iPAQ has 256MB of ROM Memory, out of this the OS uses (~100MB) some of the memory for holding the windows Mobile OS system files etc. The remaining (125.77MB) makes up the user available STORAGE memory. The (24.89MB) surplus is the partitioned memory which is known as the iPAQ STORE this is a special memory area which survives hard-resets.

The STORAGE memory will survive a loss of power (flat battery) and a soft-reset. But a hard-reset will wipe all user generated files.

Jase

Hi Jase,

Thanks for the reply. Your explaination make me clear. But i still have some ambiguity on the "Storage". Since understood from you that the 125.77MB as storage memory right? but then I was used to be installed all my program or save my files in my storage card. Hence how come it still will takes spaces on my "Storage" memory?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Jack

Guest hungryJack
Don't bet on them taking you seriously, they will probably try and pass the buck over to another department.

On my unit the "Keyguard" option found in the Buttons menu does absolutely nothing. I have tried getting help from various forums including here, to no avail.

I then emailed HP Customer Support describing the problem. All I got back was an email with the phone number for their technical support and no attempt at being useful at all.

I really don't like HPs support for this device, not only are they not helpful but they also do not seem to have any plans for putting Windows Mobile 6.1 onto this phone. I'm still glad I have got one, but I can really see this killing sales for it, despite being so new as they are ruining it's future.

I hope you have better luck with getting answers from their support centre, let us know how you get on.

Hi Rogue,

Would like to suggest alternative way for the keyguard function. You may using the device lock instead. U can go to Start -> Setting -> Personal tab -> Today -> Items tab -> Check the box in device lock.

hence in Today page, u could use it to lock/unlock your device without accidentally dial / press on keypad or screen.

Regards,

Jack

Guest satiros

so guys

here is the story

one of the first things i did as i used on my Tytn II was to install pmc keyboard 0.14 plus two greek files one font one skin

since minute one i did that

then i had a greek soft keyboard but the skin wasnt looking ok so i changed the regional settings of course rebooted and then i had the pmc keyboard looking greek

i didnt looked for typing until hours after so everything was xxucked up

Yes i reproduced everything

i facctory restored THEN I WAS ABLE TO WRIGHT IN ENGLISH BUT OF COURSE ONLY ENGLISH WORDS SINCE IT WASNT RECONGNIZED TURNED TO NUMBERS

THEN KALIF RESPONDED THANKS GOD KALIF WITH A CAB THAT DISABLES XT9 THEN

ONLY I COULD WRIGHT MULTITAPPING GREEKLISH WORDS

AFTER THAT I INSTALLED PMC KEYBOARD AND HAD THE SAME xxUCK UP

I COULD ONLY WRIGHT NUMBERS

went over again

factory recovery

kalif abc cab

resco keyb 501 supports greek fonts

everything ok

NO I DID NOT MESS WITH REGISTRY

i confirm the procces was double cheked

THANKS EVERYONE HERE FOR THE INPUT

AND HELP

THE IPAQ IS GREAT VERY FAST I HOPE IT GETS GREEK FROM HP BECAUSE I HAD TO TURN ALL MY CONTACTS TO ENGLISH AND I CANT WRITE IN GREEK WITHOUT RESCO KEYBOARD

satiros

Guest smidliboy
I tried to install this update but got the following error message:

"This version of theIPAQ Update Utility is not compatible with your IPAQ. Please obtain the correct update and try again.

This Update: Model ID: HP IPAQ 61(??,?) Business Navigator

Your Device: Model ID: HP IPAQ 614c NG Business Navigator"

As I can see this update should match... also, this is the only available update... any idea or help tip would be great.

Thanks,

Sasa

Hello, Sasa, have you solved the problem? Because I have exactly the same one. And update using micro SD card is not working - "Update error! Please check!"

Anyone can help?

EDIT: Ok, problem is solved. I had to use normal micro SD card and not micro SDHC card. Strange, isn't it?

Edited by smidliboy

Guest Chucky7
Hi Jase,

Thanks for the reply. Your explaination make me clear. But i still have some ambiguity on the "Storage". Since understood from you that the 125.77MB as storage memory right? but then I was used to be installed all my program or save my files in my storage card. Hence how come it still will takes spaces on my "Storage" memory?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Jack

Hi,

when you install programs on to the memory card a small amount of space will still be taken up on Storage with program shortcut files and program uninstall information.

Jase

Edited by Chucky7

Guest satiros

BREAKING NEWS

for christos from Cyprus and other Greek or Cypriots

if the country code is ABB is not Greek only AB7 is Greek

CANNOT BE CHANGED HP SAID

THE LOCALIZED IPAQ HP614C IS NOT AVAILABLE AS WE SPEAK

satiros

Guest Chucky7
BREAKING NEWS

satiros

Which confirms what I said in post #206

Jase

BREAKING NEWS

satiros

Dont get too excited. The chance that this unit will be released in any localized version is less than 1%. :D

Guest spider

regarding the upgrade to WinMo 6.1 try to read the following:

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=porta...id=1050&p=2

to be honest...I don't feel like upgrading to 6.1..to me there seems to be nothing but disadvantages, compared to 6.0...and some of the updated items, like threaded messages cant be converted..easily..how stupid..so to me it is a no-go, though I would have thought it was a "go", when I first heard of it...but now I am certain i won't...

Guest christosr
BREAKING NEWS

satiros

Hi

Yesterday I called the biggest local HP distributor from where I got the phone (there are no HP Offices here yet - expected within the month - in case someone needs support, they need to call HP Hellas - Greece... )

They didn't offer any actual help and of course they told me I need to call HP Greece...

I will give them a call today.

However, I tried two things:

1. I uninstalled the MoDaCo pack fo eT9 langs - - as a result I could go back to original capability of writing english through the hardware keyboard - which solved the first problem... xT9 now works again, but only with English/Italian/Spanish.

2. In regard to Greek: I tried another software solution (beyond the RescoKeyboard that I already have) I downloaded the InterKey software (still in trial - didn't want to spend those ridiculous ipaqchoice points - yet) just to see whether this one will give me Greek-hardware-input capability (as one distributor tech guy promised)... Nada...None...Nothing.

Crossing our fingers for people at XDA-DEV etc to come up with a ROM/patch/fix that will do the job...

Anyone: have you tried upgrading the bootloader from HP official (I wrote about is previously)? Did it help resolve the problems with the battery?

BTW: I am still using my old Samsung D600 for my phone needs - its battery lasts way much longer than the 614c - even though it's a 2-year old phone/battery.

Thanks

Christos R

Cyprus

Edited by christosr

Guest SasaT
Hello, Sasa, have you solved the problem? Because I have exactly the same one. And update using micro SD card is not working - "Update error! Please check!"

Anyone can help?

EDIT: Ok, problem is solved. I had to use normal micro SD card and not micro SDHC card. Strange, isn't it?

Hi!

No I didn't installed it yet. How did you fix the problem using microSD? Mine card is 8 GB microSDHC...

Guest smidliboy
Hi!

No I didn't installed it yet. How did you fix the problem using microSD? Mine card is 8 GB microSDHC...

Well, as I wrote above - I bought additional 1 GB micro-SD card and it worked with that. So NOT microSDHC, but just microSD fixed the problem for me.

Edited by smidliboy