S730 release now December, I'm losing interest

Guest paholman

Guest paholman

I've just checked Expansys, and see the date has been pushed back yet again to "Thursday 6th December".

First it was 9th November, then 19th November, and now 6th December.

With all the rumours about GPS and the "will it/won't it" on the Production models, I think I'm developing Tourettes syndrome.

My GPS receiver has bust, and rather than purchase a replacement, I want an all in-one device to do it all

I've eagerly awaiting a decent "smartphone" with GPS, and thought the S730 was it.

OK, so I could get the Kaiser, but as I've built up a nice collection of Smartphone software and games over the years, I didn't really want a device where I had to buy them all again.

Well, I hate to admit it, but I've been looking at the new Black N95 8GB, and I have to say, I'm more tempted with this than the S730, especially as the S730 release date is still unknown, and likely not to be before Xmas at this rate. I've been using Windows Mobile devices for over 4 years, so Symbian would be rather new, and again all my collected software would be useless on it, but the specs of this N95 simply can't be ignored and there's no Windows Smartphone currently available to rival it:-

8GB storage

Built-in GPS (ok, TomTom doesn't work with the built in GPS, but CoPilot does)

HSPDA

3G

5 Mega Pixel Camera (which just about everyone rates highly)

Video out (watch videos/Slideshows connected to TV/Monitor)

Wi-Fi

Quad band

I've seen the Asus P750 and like it too, but even there, there is no official release date.

Is a Kaiser really the way to go? I would miss a keypad, the one-hand navigation capability, and really don't like the idea of touchscreen, but there is currently no "smartphone" out there at the moment to compete with this new 8GB N95.

Please, someone talk me out of this! Give me some good reasons why I should wait, or go for the Kaiser rather than move to the "Dark side".

Note: Tourettes Syndrome is a serious condition, and my mention of it here, in no way was intended to offend anyone who suffers from this condition. Please accept my apologies if anyone took offence, it was not intended

Edited by paholman

I don't know about Tourettes Syndrome sounds more like a rush of blood to the head. I too eagerly await the S730 after being very pleased with the E650, if it doesn't have built in GPS there will be alot of very disappointed people out there, HTC must be aware of that unless they live in a goldfish bowl. The Nokia has a good spec but Symbian is very clunky and slow compared to Windows, also what about your themes? There are some nice touchscreen devices out there with GPS, such as the new Mio or the forthcoming tiny Glofish X600 although as you say Smartphones seem easier to operate. Anyway, you know what they say...good things come to those who wait. ;)

Edited by Looby

Guest joemailey

HTC website mentions nothing about gps.

don't think it will have it.

N95 is much better overall phone anyway. it even kick the tytn 2's ass.

Althou i'm still gonna get me tytn 2 in week or so.

1. Need the keyboard.

2. GPS.

3. Touch screen.

4. Well i don't got ne more. lmao GPS and Keyboard do it for me.

N95 is better camera and stuff ;)

GPS is better on it also.

Few other bits and pieces. But i like the tytn 2 much more anyway.

Guest paholman

Joe, Looby,

Thanks for your replies. HTC should stand for "Has Terrible Camera" as there doesn't seem to be a device to match the N95.

I went ahead and got my hands on the Nokia, and I must say, I'm very very very impressed. In the past 4 years I've had Windows Mobile smartphones, and was never tempted with Symbian before until the Nokia N95 8GB. The Gadget Show did a review and battle with the iPhone and the N95 won hands down, but I didn't like the color. Now the Black version is out with the 8Gb built-in storage, it was too tempting and I got one.

It boots in 25 seconds, the camera is brilliant, and the device very quick, even with the landscape switching. Video-out is just amazing, the phone is now like a portable CD/DVD player. The Web Browser is fantastic. GPS works well too, but I hate Nokia Maps. The N-Gage feature coming soon is promising too.

The O/S is very new to me, and will take some getting used to, but the other thing I like is I can now use "Sky Active" and remote record for my Sky+ box as it's compatible with the Nokia. There was no alternative with the Windows Mobile devices except www.sky.com within Pocket IE, which was far far too slow, and I could never remember the format for the Text message method.

'The Kaiser is still there in my "want one" list, and at times have thought about flogging the N95 for the Kaiser as I'm so used to Windows Mobile, but the Camera is just too good, and the device is so quick I'm going to give the N95 time for me to get used to it.

The negatives I found so far:-

- Sync cable does not charge the device, need a seperate USB Charge cable for that

- No pass through connection for internet

- No CamerAware (something I use all the time)

- Customization limited

I'm keeping my Windows Mobile device while I get used to the Nokia, and if the N95 doesn't do everything I need, the Kaiser it will be.

Edited by paholman

Guest conan_troutman

has any one looked at the HTC cruise (ht110) I hink that will be the next best bet as all the latest reports show that the S730 does indeed NOT have an active GPS unit, I think this is due to HTC having a deal with TOMTOM and as they no longer support non touch screen devices then I reckon that part of the partner ship was that to limit the number of device that are able to use rival GPS software.

hopefully it will be nothing more than a registry hack to reactivate it...but with the kiaser and cruise why take the chance.

Guest Paul (MVP)
I think this is due to HTC having a deal with TOMTOM and as they no longer support non touch screen devices then I reckon that part of the partner ship was that to limit the number of device that are able to use rival GPS software.

hopefully it will be nothing more than a registry hack to reactivate it...

Incorrect on both counts i'm afraid!

but with the kiaser and cruise why take the chance.

Because some people want Smartphones ;)

P

• 2 months later...
Guest whisper90
HTC website mentions nothing about gps.

don't think it will have it.

N95 is much better overall phone anyway. it even kick the tytn 2's ass.

Althou i'm still gonna get me tytn 2 in week or so.

1. Need the keyboard.

2. GPS.

3. Touch screen.

4. Well i don't got ne more. lmao GPS and Keyboard do it for me.

N95 is better camera and stuff :)

GPS is better on it also.

Few other bits and pieces. But i like the tytn 2 much more anyway.

joemailey, I beg to differ that the N95 is a better phone than any of new HTC's out there. I decided on an N95 in August so I ditched my trusty Tytn. By October I was on my third replacement. Whatever possesed me? The lure of the 5mp camera, GPS and other bit all in one neat package. The phone looked but the GPS - sat nav, if you managed to get it to work, was slow and too fiddly. Had to carry spare batteries at home, office and car because, its battery life was dreadful. It used to freeze up for no apparent reason. I used to think this was something mainly to do with Orange's software. But mine was sim free. List of problems were endless. By November I'd had enough so I finally ditched it. The MP3 player was excellent though. Now using an S710 (E650) which is a breeze to use. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the S730. If there is no GPS, will have to consider the Tytn II. We'll see.

Guest paholman
joemailey, I beg to differ that the N95 is a better phone than any of new HTC's out there. I decided on an N95 in August so I ditched my trusty Tytn. By October I was on my third replacement. Whatever possesed me? The lure of the 5mp camera, GPS and other bit all in one neat package. The phone looked but the GPS - sat nav, if you managed to get it to work, was slow and too fiddly. Had to carry spare batteries at home, office and car because, its battery life was dreadful. It used to freeze up for no apparent reason. I used to think this was something mainly to do with Orange's software. But mine was sim free. List of problems were endless. By November I'd had enough so I finally ditched it. The MP3 player was excellent though. Now using an S710 (E650) which is a breeze to use. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the S730. If there is no GPS, will have to consider the Tytn II. We'll see.

I had the 8GB Black N95 version for 2 months, which had batter battery life and more RAM than the standard N95, and it was the best phone I ever owned for functionality and features. Battery life was no worse than any of the HTC models I've owned, and the GPS was very quick after frequent use, although Nokia maps was s***. The Camera was excellent, and the VGA Video Camera quality was also great, as was the TV out. I've also heard battery life and memory is now improved on the standard N95 with the latest firmware.

I've sold it since, not only was it the best phone I've ever owned, but also the ugliest. Heavy, bulky, and the sliders kept moving each time I removed the phone from my pocket. I also didn't like Symbian for some reason, perhaps it was too new to me, and I'm used to Windows Mobile. Nokia PC Suite was also dreadful and syncing made me lose data, which I never had with ActiveStink. I also missed Jeo Mobile Extender and the ability to text thru Outlook.

I'm still awaiting a device that would blow me away (oo eer missus), I thought the S730 would be it, but the lack of GPS and poor memory on it disappoints, although I'd still have one if the price was right.

I'm moving towards a touch screen device though, and think this year we'll see some pretty flashy pieces of kit.

Edited by paholman