Glofiish launch X600, X800 and M800 devices

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hi all! ;)

I'm here in London where Glofiish, the consumer arm of Eten, are launching three new devices, the X600 compact GPS equipped Pocket PC, the X800 VGA equipped GPS Pocket PC and the M800, also a VGA equipped GPS Pocket PC, but also featuring a Kaiser-like QWERTY keyboard.

We'll be bringing you all the deets as the afternoon progresses, so watch this space, and if you have any questions, feel free to hit me up! Press releases follow... of course the M800 VGA Kaiser-competitor is likely to be of most interest to members, but the X600 sets new standards for compact GPS equipped devices?

P

x600sized.jpgx800sized.jpg

m800sized.jpg

Guest Paul (MVP)

E-TEN goes to the UK to launch industry leading Pocket PC Phone

Glofiish M800 delivers 3.5G, sliding keyboard, VGA display

At a launch event held in the UK E-TEN Information Systems has introduced the Glofiish M800, an industry leading Pocket PC Phone that combines the current most advanced mobile technologies to deliver a premium mobile communications experience. In terms of features, the Glofiish M800 sets a new highest standard which few, if any, currently available handsets from other vendors are able to match.

E-TEN has packed the Glofiish M800 with a comprehensive mix of the current high-end mobile functionality. A sliding QWERTY keyboard design speeds up input for rapid messaging. 3.5G and Wi-Fi® connectivity provide fast accesses to email, and online information. The VGA display allows more information to be viewed onscreen at once, while text, images and video are sharper and easier to view, and when traveling on foot or in the car GPS provides access to accurate location information for easy navigation. Furthermore, the M800 is based on the Windows Mobile® 6 platform which comes with built-in features including a mobile office suite for productivity, search, and support for push email. While these features are available in other products, the M800 is E-TEN's first to offer them all in a single versatile device.

Compared to handsets from competing vendors, few, if any, can equal the complete feature list of E-TEN's device. For example, while there are some models on the market that feature 3.5G and a sliding keyboard design similar to the M800, these products only have a QVGA display, one-quarter the resolution of the M800's VGA (640x480) screen.

Additionally, as it is based on the Windows Mobile® 6, the Glofiish M800 supports the extensive library of software written for Pocket PC platforms. With 1,000s of titles available ranging from simple freeware utilities to commercial applications, the M800 gives users the choice to expand and customize their devices in any way they need, unlike devices based on closed or proprietary platforms such as the Apple iPhone, while Windows Mobile's several years of development and refinement put it ahead of open source/Linux-based platforms in terms of maturity.

Guest Paul (MVP)

E-TEN Glofiish X800 now shipping

E-TEN's most advanced Pocket PC Phone to date

E-TEN Information Systems is proud to announce that the award-winning Glofiish X800 Pocket PC Phone has begun shipping worldwide. Highlights of the X800 include 3.5G high-speed connectivity, a pixel-sharp high-resolution VGA display and a new powerful mobile shell that make this the most advanced Glofiish device to date.

E-TEN's next-generation Glofiish X800 Pocket PC Phone has begun shipping to channel partners around the globe. The X800 is E-TEN's first handset to support 3.5G HSDPA connectivity for high-speed downloads delivering new and improved online services including faster more enjoyable surfing and email, streaming audio and video downloads, VoIP and instant messaging, and video calling.

The X800 was first previewed earlier in the year at CeBIT where it drew considerable interest from show-goers and the media. The handset was next seen at Computex where it was again warmly received and earned a Best of Computex Award. Since that time E-TEN has continued to refine the X800 package and the device now includes E-TEN's new mobile shell, an easy-to-customize interface that lets users display all of their most important information on a single screen.

The new mobile shell enables features including, photo speed dial, application launcher, and weather forecasts and world time to be displayed and accessed from the Windows Mobile® Today Screen offering powerful new opportunities for users to streamline their mobile experience.

Measuring just 113.5 x 60 x 15.8mm the Glofiish X800 includes a high-resolution 2.8-inch VGA (640x480) display and GPS connectivity.

The Glofiish X800 is based on the Window Mobile® 6 platform and is available in several languages. Pricing and availability is subject to regional variation but the X800 can be expected to available in key markets within a few weeks.

Guest Paul (MVP)

E-TEN introduces Glofiish X600

Excellent value ultra-small Pocket PC Phone

E-TEN Information Systems has introduced the Glofiish X600, an excellent value Pocket PC Phone that delivers a full-featured Windows Mobile® 6 experience and great mobile connectivity in E-TEN's smallest handset to date.

E-TEN is taking its range of award winning Glofiish Pocket PC Phones to a new level of convenience and affordability with its latest addition, the X600 offering Windows Mobile® 6, GPS, GPRS and Wi-Fi® connectivity in a handset that measures just 107 x 58 x 14.7mm and weights only 136g. It is lighter than previous models with a stylish metallic black and red design.

"E-TEN is committed to delivering the best value and features to our Pocket PC Phone customers," said Wayne Ma, President, E-TEN. "With the Glofiish X600 we will be able to satisfy an even wider range of consumers looking for an affordable, versatile mobile communications device."

Feature highlights of the Glofiish X600 include:

• Smaller and thinner pocket-friendly dimensions that measures just 107 x 58 x 14.7mm and weights only 136g.

• Stylish metallic black and red design.

• New mobile shell enables features including, photo speed dial, application launcher, and weather forecasts and world time.

• Wi-Fi® b/g for high-speed wireless connectivity to an office or home network or any of the public hotspots around the world.

• Rapid positioning GPS with SiRF Star III for easy and precise navigation on foot or in the car.

• Windows Mobile® 6 the latest mobile platform supporting software applications including office productivity, dictionary and language utilities, travel, finance, games and more.

• Bluetooth® 2.0 allowing wireless connectivity to headsets and other accessories.

• Affordable price.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Not in my experience, what is more important is the device has the horsepower to drive the screen!

I've wondered if this is what has held back HTC on VGA up to now...

P

Guest Confucious

64Mb RAM isn't really enough, apart from that it does look rather good, if they doubled the RAM it could be a nice device - what's the camera like? I've never been that impressed with HTC cameras. Also, does the screen run at VGA resolution?

Guest rsearley
64Mb RAM isn't really enough, apart from that it does look rather good, if they doubled the RAM it could be a nice device - what's the camera like? I've never been that impressed with HTC cameras. Also, does the screen run at VGA resolution?

i have the X800 and for me everything is ok, and there is no lack of memory even with memory hogs like tomtom 6

i have heard of people having problems with iGo stating there is not enough memory

the problem on the x800 is after boot there is only 21mb of free program memory..

Guest martin01

Wonder if HTC and E-TEN have the same keyboard sub-contractor ;) Apart from that, me thinks Kaiser way in front on looks and thought those little joysticks where a thing from Sony Erichsson'ss dark past .... wouldn't mind the VGA though...

Guest Syphon Filter

If the M800 had better styling and more RAM it would be a real contender to go in my pocket. The X800 has pretty funky styling, I quite like it, but again...it only has 64MB of RAM.

If only HTC had put a VGA screen into the Kaiser (with a beefed up CPU to drive it).

Though...if they had, I am certain the battery will have lasted all of about 10mins!

Gah...just have to see what next year brings...

Guest xorangefirex

I've always been interested in Eten's Glofish line, though I have never had the chance to use one due to living in the USA. Even with no true experience with the device, it looks very nice, though still not quite up to kaiser standards.

Guest Malkatraz
If the M800 had better styling and more RAM it would be a real contender to go in my pocket. The X800 has pretty funky styling, I quite like it, but again...it only has 64MB of RAM.

If only HTC had put a VGA screen into the Kaiser (with a beefed up CPU to drive it).

Though...if they had, I am certain the battery will have lasted all of about 10mins!

Gah...just have to see what next year brings...

A VGA screen shouldn't have increased power consumption when compared to a QVGA of the same size. They both output light to the same 2.8" area of screen, right? The only increase will be from the extra horsepower required from the CPU/GPU due to having to display 4 times the number of pixels.

I would have picked up an X800 already if it had a GPU to drive it like many other devices these days. 640x480 video on the X800 would be almost out of the question. I think its a big mistake to not provide more horsepower (Check out the Eten forums). What will be interesting is whether they learn from their mistake and give the M800 a boost, or whether they are just content to release a device that does have noticeable drawbacks.

I still don't know what device to purchase. The Imate Ultimates look like they have been further delayed, (No longer a mid-November launch)...

Edited by Malkatraz

These do look pretty good ;)

I've never experienced VGA, and always wondered what the fuss is all about. I've also held the impression that there isn't as much software support for it, is that correct?

Guest NuShrike
A VGA screen shouldn't have increased power consumption when compared to a QVGA of the same size. They both output light to the same 2.8" area of screen, right? The only increase will be from the extra horsepower required from the CPU/GPU due to having to display 4 times the number of pixels.
I think you've explained it yourself. Just driving 4 times the number of pixels and circuits/wiring should up the power consumption regardless if the backlighting is the same. Anybody know what the refresh rate is? 60Hz?

Too bad they couldn't have made the M800 as pretty as the X800. I'll even go as far as saying the M800 is downright ugly! That and the low 64MB RAM pretty much makes all of them a deal-breaker for me.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest Malkatraz
I think you've explained it yourself. Just driving 4 times the number of pixels and circuits/wiring should up the power consumption regardless if the backlighting is the same. Anybody know what the refresh rate is? 60Hz?

Too bad they couldn't have made the M800 as pretty as the X800. I'll even go as far as saying the M800 is downright ugly! That and the low 64MB RAM pretty much makes all of them a deal-breaker for me.

My point was that there is the assumption that driving a screen that has 4 times the number of pixels as normal screens is somehow going to reduce the battery life by 4 times. And this is not true. The battery life isn't significantly reduced by moving to a VGA screen.

Edited by Malkatraz

Guest HerpezP

Actually, if you're using the same technology to make a VGA screen as a QVGA screen the VGA screen will require more power to output the same amount of light, i.e. be as bright as the QVGA screen. The reason lies in the 'mesh' between the actual pixels. If there is e.g. 0.01 mm between the actual pixels (emitting the light in red, green and/or blue), then the 'mesh' will have a larger light-blocking area on the VGA screen than on the QVGA screen, hence blocking more of the backlight. That means the backlight will have to be turned up, which again will cause a bigger power drain.

I don't know how much this effect comes into play (the VGA displays almost certainly has less 'mesh width'), but just wanted to say that it's there - and it is definitely something the companies developing the screens are aware of ;)

Guest HerpezP

There's no refresh rate on LCD screens. That's a (wrong) survival from the CRT monitors. I don't know if the software (Windows Mobile in this case) is using some fixed rate updating the screen or system. I doubt it, though ;)

On the X500 and M700, yes.

It is fixed on the X800 and M800 at least, unknown on the X600...

P

Paul - not that I don't trust you - cos I do, honest - but are you 100% sure that the x800 will work with T-Mobile UK? I've searched all over the net and yours is the only positive comment I can find. Every other comment I can find says either it doesn't work or it's not confirmed.

How do you know it works? Have you proved it yourself?

As you might guess I've just forked out the best part of £400 for an x800 and I really don't want to send it back.

Cheers mate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.