Replacing the t-zones menu with a web and application favourites menu

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

See pic below... with some registry tweaking and some image creation as required, you can turn the t-zones menu into a favourites menu for whatever you want (apps, web pages etc). You're not limited to 4 either :(

Refining the process atm, but watch this space!

P

PS Note that this is a real live screen shot and it works as you would expect...

PPS HKLM\Security\cHome\CLinks is where the fun begins ;)

NeoScreen002.png

Guest kwoodall
See pic below... with some registry tweaking and some image creation as required, you can turn the t-zones menu into a favourites menu for whatever you want (apps, web pages etc). You're not limited to 4 either :(

Refining the process atm, but watch this space!

P

PS Note that this is a real live screen shot and it works as you would expect...

PPS HKLM\Security\cHome\CLinks is where the fun begins ;)

Oh you BAD man. Now I'm hooking in Opera Mini! Yee hoo!

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Guest kwoodall

Hmmm...looking over this I'm wondering if this can be manipulated to add an extra 'plugin' of whatever links one wants? In other words, could we duplicate this whole thing and make a list of favorite programs to start?

Do you see any actual external plugins being called by this program? I'm hoping for a way for third party developers to author their own extensions for Neo.

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Guest kwoodall

You're right about that. In fact, now I've got Opera and Opera Mini launching!

(The key with Opera Mini is calling the shortcut in \Windows\Start Menu\ with quotes around it.)

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

post-199124-1195249966_thumb.gif

Guest Paul (MVP)

I see no reason why the whole plugin can't be duplicated. See my other posts for a nice 'heart' icon i've made... i'll look into registering the same plugin under a seperate GUID and including it as an additional item!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Ideally somebody with better Photoshop skillz than me could create a generic 'application' image and a generic 'web' image (probably just a globe)?

These could then either be used as is or overlayed with an extracted icon or similar...

P

Guest kwoodall
Ideally somebody with better Photoshop skillz than me could create a generic 'application' image and a generic 'web' image (probably just a globe)?

These could then either be used as is or overlayed with an extracted icon or similar...

P

Done.

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

post-199124-1195273529_thumb.png

post-199124-1195273574_thumb.png

Guest kwoodall
That's very mac ;)

P

Bloody limey wanker!

Actually I don't like the generic app icon either but it was a quickie. Coming up with a generic globe was the better of the two projects. The hard part with the idea of a generic app is that most people just do a command window and that looks boring. I tried spicing it up but there's only so much you can do with a crap idea.

I'll work on it some more - and if you want some specific app icons for Neo, please ask.

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Guest badbob001

(The key with Opera Mini is calling the shortcut in \Windows\Start Menu\ with quotes around it.)

What's the application launch string for opera mini? I'm new to creating shortcuts to java applications. Thanks!

Guest chaznet

It would look great with the 'mini Shadow' device icon they've used in the lower corner of the other icons...

Ok. Here's a better generic Application icon. If you need something for the left bar let me know.

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Guest SomeaznPunk

Can anyone give me more info on how to do this? I have a reg editor, but I don't really know how/which ones in HKLM\Security\cHome\CLinks to change.

Thanks.

Guest kwoodall

Here's an icon I created to go with QuickReset (found elsewhere on this site) so I could quickly reset the phone to reload graphics or anything else that might normally force me to turn the phone off/on.

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

post-199124-1195594146_thumb.png

Guest kwoodall

Paul - have you figured out how to add another list of links as we briefly discussed a while back? I'd like to add my favorite apps into Neo and don't want to keep expanding the Internet section! ;)

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Guest trickinit

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Sorry to be off subject, but how did you change the background image to green?? I know how to change the Start Menu bar and the background image on the home screen to green, but when I go into the start menu it's still brown and it's been driving me crazy..