Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest pedalninja
I already had Google Maps installed on my BJ2 with WINMo 6.1. I installed the fix, rebooted, set GMM to Com4 9600 Baud and when I choose use GPS, I get an error saying No GPS receiver was found. make sure you have a GPS receiver blah blah.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Did you read my post above??? that should do it if you follow those instructions

Guest crashoverbg

Hi everyone.

Sorry if I am writing in the wrong topic here but i am really desparate.

I am owner of one SGH-i640v. I have been looking for an answer if this phone does have gps hardware in it. All the info on the net is very confusing. Can anyone tell me how to check for sure if there is actually gps hardware in this phone or not and any ideas how to get it up and working :(. I installed this fix you have posted here. Restarted the system and tried to activate the gps on COM4 on my Garmin application on the phone. Didn't worked at all. still saying it can't find gps connection. In my registry i find: \HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Gps Intermediate Driver. In there i found "IsEnabled" string or whatever it is(not very familiar with the registry stuffs), also two folders there Drivers and Multiplexer. I have noticed some changes in the Gps Intermediate Driver registry folder after installing the fix posted here but still not working. I will apriciate very much any help.

Thanks in advance guys

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AmigoMJP
OK, I spent hours trying to get this to work. The ONLY thing I can't do is change Garmin Mobile XT's COM PORT to 4.

I can't find where to change the COM port. In Garmin Mobile XT, I tried Tools/settings/System/RemoteGPS ...but once in there, there is NO WAY to change a COM port.

All I get is a yellow bar that says "Scanning Attached". If I "disable" that, I get: "Connection allowed to Garmin GPS device only"

HOW DO I SET THE COM PORT TO 4?

Please help

I'm still trying to get GPS to work on my BJII but I did notice this same problem with Garmin Mobile XT until I ran the "SDA application unlock" hack, I then restarted my BJII and this option in Garmin Mobile XT to change the GPS receiver was available. Hope that helps.

Guest AmigoMJP
these are the steps for mine to work with Garmin

1. Install GPS activation (restart)

2. Install GPSID settings ( set to program: com 4/ hardware: blank/rate: 38400, Auto: checked)

3. Install GPS test (change settings to same as GPSID)

4. Turn on GPS test (minimize)

5. Open Garmin, change GPS to GPS intermediate....

6. Go to GPS info and wait for signal. (IMPORTANT: make sure you are somewhere either at a window or outside is best where you can actually pick up a signal. I think a lot of people are experiencing problems because they are sitting beside their computer when they are doing this. Go outside and try and wait for 5 mins.

Those are the steps that worked for me....I'm sure it's not going to help everyone, but hope someone will get it to work.

Champs91, thanks for the info. After 5 straight days of reading through this whole forum, hard resetting, and installing/reinstalling these apps/hacks, I finally got it to work, with just a few changes from the above post:

1. Hard reset

2. Keep phone on (this is what got me, I would always shut it off since I don't have a contract with anyone, but in fact, the phone needs to be on, even if you don't have a service contract or SIM card inserted)

3. Keep bluetooth off

4. Install GPS activation (restart)

5. Install GPSID settings ( set to program: com 4/ hardware: blank/rate: 38400, Auto: checked) (restart)

6. Install GPS Test (change settings to same as GPSID) (restart)

7. Turn on GPS Test to see if the BJ2 GPS receiver is picking up satellites in your area (be sure the BJ2 is outside or leave it in your car outside, and have GPS Test running for 5-10 mins minimum (minimize or close GPS test)

8. Install Garmin (restart)

9. Open Garmin, change GPS to GPS intermediate (if you can do this no problem, skip to step 11 or if this is not an option, go to step 10)

10. Install "SDA_application_unlock" hack (do a search on this site for it) (this should then allow you to repeat step 9)

11. Go to GPS info and wait for signal. (IMPORTANT: make sure you are somewhere either at a window or outside is best where you can actually pick up a signal. I think a lot of people are experiencing problems because they are sitting beside their computer when they are doing this. Go outside and try and wait for 5 mins.

Hope this helps some people out there and don't give up, it took me 5 days of trying different things before it worked. Good luck!

Guest jthafe

I get the impression that people think this was an oversite by Microsoft. By now I would think that everyone knows good and well that things like this are not accidental. This was done on purpose. They did it so they can limit how the GPS hardware is accessed i.e. those that chose to pay AT&T or whatever other service provider you may use to use their GPS system. AT&T charges $9.99/month last I checked and you also have the data charges to contend with. This is why the drivers were configured the way they were.

As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' B)

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

Enjoy people, and spread the word to fellow BJII owners!

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

On device Install (registered members): MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

Guest cbrenth
Hey all-- new here but wanted to share my experience and see if anyone had any tips.

I too could not get the GPS working on the Blackjack II until using Paul's GPS activator HOWEVER, just as soon as I had it working, it stopped again.

Summary:

- Tried everything to get the GPS working with no results

- Installed the GPS Activator

- GPS worked immediatly with no restart or changing of ports. Got great reception indoors.

- 2 hours later, tried GPS againa and couldn't do anything to get it working again.

- Have tried changing ports, re-installing the GPS activator....

I'm stumped. Feels like a faulty device.

Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

This happened to me. I thought it was because my phone is running Windows Mobile 6.1. After I got the "cant find GPS receiver" error once I hit retry and it started working again. I will have to see what it does tomorrow.

Guest Robert.g
Tried that. Kept saying "Initializing GPS...." for about a minute. Then "Ypur GPS receiver does not appear to be responding....."

****!!!!

Hey guys, well after messing around with all kinds of settings i got GMaps to work with COM4...FINALLY!!!

ok well downloaded the MoDaCo GPS unlock and installed that, after that I installed Google Maps and then GPSTEST....

i set GPSTEST settings to COM 4 @ 9600 baud rate....i get gps signals withing a few seconds

so then i went into Google maps and went into GPS settings...set it to manually and set it to COM4 @ 256000 and WALLAAA!!!,

hit USE GPS on Gmaps and withing a few seconds i got GPS signals....faster than waiting for the default setting wich at time took over a minute to grab a GPS signal

have a good one guys.

Guest Josh1230

My phone says:

Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions.

What do i do?

B)

Thanks

Guest themanofthedark

I can't get my GPS to work...

I just bought the Samsung BJII

and here is what i did.

i installed secpolicies.cab

then downloaded GMaps

then i did the GPS hack

GPS didnt work (on COM4, any baud rate).

I uninstalled everything,

installed secpolicies, GPShack, GMaps, WLS,

rebooted

hard resetted

installed secpolicies, the GPShack,

rebooted

installed GMaps, WLS

tried WLS with intermediate GPS,

no go,

tried WLS with COM4,

no go,

tried GMaps with auto

no go

tried GMaps with COM4 on all baud rates

no go

downloaded the Chartcross GPS test,

it found NO satelittes

i dont know what to do now

i just want to get my GPS working...

what should I do?

maybe a reflash to 6.1 would help?

Guest Kulska

Can anyone please tell me, how to fix this?

"Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed

because it does not have sufficient system permissions"

My phone is the "Jack" (aka blackjack2 in Canada)

Will the .cab used for BJ2 also work on my phone?

Any and all help appreciated.

K. B)

Guest Kulska

Wow, just re-read my post a day later and realized in my fustration i did not include alot of info.

Phone is a Samsung Jack, i616.

Company is Rogers.

Running Windows Mobile 6.0

What steps and what files should i be using to have

working GPS, using maps stored on device card?

What GPS Program would others recomend?

Thanks all for any help.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dc dude

Well I spent two days working on it and tried everything in the blog with no luck. But stumbled on to this back door way of getting the GPS and Google maps to work.

I'm using a BJII with AT&T data plan that is paid for through my company so I am not sure what they are actually paying for.

My steps were:

1) Install Hack

3)- Setup AT&T navigator

a) Download AT&T Navigator

:excl: Get PIN from AT&T

c) Enter the Phone and PIN

d) Find GPS via At&T Navigator

e) Close At&T Navigator

2) Open Google Maps

a) GPS Options set to "Managed by Windows"

:excl: Click find GPS

e) It locks in very fast.

It seems now that to make Google work I have to first go through AT&T and then I can switch back to Google. I haven't played with At&T enough to say exactly why I don't want to use it in the first place.

Good luck

Install the

• 1 month later...
Guest D0kk3n

Works perfect!! Installed the .CAB and that was it. I didn't have to do anything else other than locate GPS test. Found several free apps that also track your speed. I don't have a data plan so this is exactly what I was needing.

Edited by D0kk3n

• 3 months later...
Guest bobloadmire

Does anyone have any advice for the samsung propel pro? its pretty much the same phone with slider and WiFi. I installed the hack, GPSID, GPStest, and Garmin XT. Google maps works fine, but i can't get garmin to see the built in GPS, or even my Bluetooth GPS. what gives? also GPStest won't find my gps unit at COM4, at any bod rate. Also i found if i open Garmin XT, and manually set it to COM4 bod 38400, and press info really quick, it will show me GPS coordinates, but at the top it will say "GPS OFF". what should i try? thanks guys.

Guest bobloadmire
Does anyone have any advice for the samsung propel pro? its pretty much the same phone with slider and WiFi. I installed the hack, GPSID, GPStest, and Garmin XT. Google maps works fine, but i can't get garmin to see the built in GPS, or even my Bluetooth GPS. what gives? also GPStest won't find my gps unit at COM4, at any bod rate. Also i found if i open Garmin XT, and manually set it to COM4 bod 38400, and press info really quick, it will show me GPS coordinates, but at the top it will say "GPS OFF". what should i try? thanks guys.

so i feel extremely retarded. the gps was never locked to begin with, it was just so weak compared to my bluetooth one, i assumed it was not connecting. wow. It works fine, just a bit slow. so now i have 2 forms of gps, hooray!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest zman94131

any help would be appreciated!

i installed the gpsid utility and it works like a charm with a holux m1000 external gps--i went with the external gps bc i had the worst reception using the built in gps with garmin xt. (it was always losing satelite connection when i needed it most).

here is the problem--i plan on leaving the holux in the car and would like to be able to use the internal gps--but cant get the internal gps to work.

are any magic settings in gpsid that will make it work?

thanks again!

Guest Reaper23

Hi guys, I read all the posts in here and i followed all the steps and i still can't get IGO ( Nav N GO 8.0.0.49545 July 30) to work. Google maps is working for me , but it sucks. Igo is faar nicer and the touch works great !

Was any one of you able to make IGO work ?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest buteo
Was having problems with the new Samsung Jack's GPS. This worked for the Jack too!

Thanks!

Hi,

I own a Samsung I637 Jack.

What GPS application(s) did you use with internal GPS?

Thanks

Guest Holy Joe
Works GREAT!!!! Remember to use COM4! Thanks for all of your work today Paul! Now AT&T wont be getting my phone back!

Just came across this.

Any idea if it will work with a Samsung Propel Pro? Mine is driving me nuts. I do NOT have the AT&T data plan. I'm looking for a way to use the GPS to track my position. (Also, trying to turn the WiFi back on - AT&T disables it when you drop the Data plan - help there would also be appreciated!)

Thanks,

Chad

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.