Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

I have posted extensively about this on howardforums.com, but here it is again:

GPStest is a toy, it is not helpful in getting the GPS to run, merely to check signal strength. You need the modaco hack to get it to run. Trust me, I tried the heck out of this while outdoors and it was a complete waste of time.

The modaco hack is useless except for GPStest use (let the flames begin!). I tested it extensively and it very occasionally works with google maps, it never, ever worked in windows live maps (at least for me). I didn't bother uninstalling it, but I just don't use it at all.

The best way to get the GPS working is to use google maps, go outside (or your car) and fire it up. The first attempt (from either a warm or cold boot) will NEVER work and it will appear to just sit there searching. After 3-4 minutes, turn off the GPS function and turn it on again. 9 times out of 10 you will lock within 1 minute (closer to 30 seconds)..but you MUST BE OUTSIDE!!!! It will not start inside unless you are super lucky. After you have it running it will work very well indoors (at least at my house or office..5 to six sats). On some occasions I have got the initial acquisition to work indoors, but I had to set my phone next to the window for it to happen.

Windows live maps also works for GPS initialization, but for some reason it takes 3-5 attempts (turn it on, timeout, repeat) and hence is slower than google maps to get up and running. I only use the intermediate driver, the modaco com4 hack did absolutely nothing...ever (and yes I tried it about 20 times, both cold and warm booting). I do like the functionality of WLM more than google though. The ability to center on GPS and then speak a location and get directions is outstandingly well executed..it works even with car noise in the background...truly staggering for such a small program.

Finally, when running the GPS is either GM or WLM, if your data connection drops, the program stops working. Yes, the BJ has a real GPS chip in it, but GM and WLM require a running data connection for the whole shebang to work. The GPS in the BJ2 is in hardware, it is NOT a "software" GPS.

Thanks for the reply. None of this worked for me though. I've been at it 4 days now with not one connection. My unit is clearly defective and I'm sending it back.

Guest ktizzle
I've gotten the Q9H to work with CoPilot 7 using the patch. But as with many others using the Q, I had to change the COM port to 5. The only problem I have now is wicked battery drain. Any way we can put an interface into this "patch" where we can turn it on and off as needed?

For the record, I've gotten Google Maps and Live to both work with and without the patch, but had to use the patch to get CoPilot to work. Never used or even started TeleNav.

thx. i'll see if i get any luck with com 5.

Guest nickcornaglia
I have posted extensively about this on howardforums.com, but here it is again:

GPStest is a toy, it is not helpful in getting the GPS to run, merely to check signal strength. You need the modaco hack to get it to run. Trust me, I tried the heck out of this while outdoors and it was a complete waste of time.

The modaco hack is useless except for GPStest use (let the flames begin!). I tested it extensively and it very occasionally works with google maps, it never, ever worked in windows live maps (at least for me). I didn't bother uninstalling it, but I just don't use it at all.

The best way to get the GPS working is to use google maps, go outside (or your car) and fire it up. The first attempt (from either a warm or cold boot) will NEVER work and it will appear to just sit there searching. After 3-4 minutes, turn off the GPS function and turn it on again. 9 times out of 10 you will lock within 1 minute (closer to 30 seconds)..but you MUST BE OUTSIDE!!!! It will not start inside unless you are super lucky. After you have it running it will work very well indoors (at least at my house or office..5 to six sats). On some occasions I have got the initial acquisition to work indoors, but I had to set my phone next to the window for it to happen.

Windows live maps also works for GPS initialization, but for some reason it takes 3-5 attempts (turn it on, timeout, repeat) and hence is slower than google maps to get up and running. I only use the intermediate driver, the modaco com4 hack did absolutely nothing...ever (and yes I tried it about 20 times, both cold and warm booting). I do like the functionality of WLM more than google though. The ability to center on GPS and then speak a location and get directions is outstandingly well executed..it works even with car noise in the background...truly staggering for such a small program.

Finally, when running the GPS is either GM or WLM, if your data connection drops, the program stops working. Yes, the BJ has a real GPS chip in it, but GM and WLM require a running data connection for the whole shebang to work. The GPS in the BJ2 is in hardware, it is NOT a "software" GPS.

Just to be clear...GPSTest is not supposed to add ANY GPS functionality to your phone. It simply, as the name states, is a way to TEST your GPS connection by showing signal strength , satellites connected, and GPS states like lat, lon, compass, speed, etc.

The Modaco registry edit works on the Q9h under COM5. For the BJ2 it's com4. As stated beforeCamerAware worked, GPSTest worked, GoogleMaps, and WindowsLiveSearch all worked using COM5...but it was inconsistent. Long to connect. Timed out often before a connection is even made.

GPS on the BJ2 sucks! That's why I got rid of it and got the Q9h which isnt much better but at least consistently works under com5...just that the battery drains quickly. Paul would look into it further if he actually had a Q9h...but is travelling and doesnt have one yet AFAIK.

Yes, the BJ2 and Q9h are hardware GPS chips in the unit...but they dont work very well or are crippled intentionally. The part that ASSISTS the GPS via the netowork is what is broken IMO....subsequently crippling the GPS.

Anyway, Paul's patch, tho not perfect, is a step in the right direction for the part of the world that doesnt want to be locked into using GoogleMaps, WLS or TeleNav. Given time...it will either be figured out entirely, ATT will fix it themselves or ATT will drop it altogether for future smartphones.

Guest nycnerd

I am not sure if this is of any help or not. I have found two GPSID dlls in the windows directory. One is GPSID.DLL and other is PHONEGPSID.DLL. When i had a look at the dates, the PHONEGPSID.DLL is having 11/10/2007 as its date. Looks like a customized dll for GPS (may be Samsung did that ?)

When i searched the web for both DLLs i got only references to GPSID.DLL and not even a single search result for PHONEGPSID.DLL.

Now i have used the application unlock and modified HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermidate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice\DLL value from "PHONEGPSID.DLL" to "GPSID.DLL". Its cold out there. So i am going to test this in an hour or so.

BTW with or without the Paul's hack my GPS was working.

Guest nycnerd
hmmm...mine already said GPSID.DLL...on the Q9h.

You may be onto something there for the BJ2 tho.

After changing the value to GPSID.DLL, gps is still working. Not sure what was the difference between both the dlls.

Guest JBurger

Works Great on my "I am not sure if I want to keep my BJ II" BJII :(. Google Maps picked it up without restart. THIS is really awesome Paul!!! Thank you so much!!!

Guest opticalc

OK Ive got my BJII working with google maps using both AGPS and satellite GPS. I did the com4 hack and GPStest works fine on COM4. But I'd like a GPS app that gives me speed, compass, etc. So I install GPS Utilities, but it cant connect. It gives "Info Unable to connect GPS receiver (0x08200a07)"

Why would GPStest work but GPSUtilities not?

Guest clockwork58

Sweet. Mine works. Using an unlocked AT&T blackjack2 on Rogers in Toronto.

Details

1) Install Modaco Hack

2) Reboot phone

3) Install Google Maps

4) Ran Google Maps and kept the setting for Windows to auto detect.

5) Went outside!

6) Clicked on 'Use GPS' setting. waited a minute and it found me.

Locked on to 4 to 5 Sat's and it was following me as I was driving down the street. Sweet!!!!

Now I have a question.

Am I using data when I do this? Is it only data that is used to download the map? Or data also used when it's

refreshing my location? I get my bill in about 3 days so I'll check the data usage as is detailed out per day.

Guest opticalc
Sweet. Mine works. Using an unlocked AT&T blackjack2 on Rogers in Toronto.

Details

1) Install Modaco Hack

2) Reboot phone

3) Install Google Maps

4) Ran Google Maps and kept the setting for Windows to auto detect.

5) Went outside!

6) Clicked on 'Use GPS' setting. waited a minute and it found me.

Locked on to 4 to 5 Sat's and it was following me as I was driving down the street. Sweet!!!!

Now I have a question.

Am I using data when I do this? Is it only data that is used to download the map? Or data also used when it's

refreshing my location? I get my bill in about 3 days so I'll check the data usage as is detailed out per day.

It uses data to download the maps. It also uses data for the assisted-GPS, if your version of google maps supports that.

It only took 1 minute to find the satellites? wow it takes like 3 minutes for mine. and thats if my car isnt moving. In that case it takes like 5 minutes.

Can anyone comment as to why GPSTest works for me on COM4, but GPSUtilities doesnt? But I can get GPSUtilities to work with my bluetooth GPS puck, but not on com4.

Guest ccarrara

I just got the BJ2. Ran google maps, ran Live search, niether worked with "GPS enabled". I installed the hack. Live search (set to COM4) worked first try, found location in about 20 seconds, works GREAT.

Then I ran Google maps, hmmmm...couldn't find any GPS settings, there were none, just an option to "Use GPS", but no settings for it. So I started IE, went to Google, and downoaded the Google Maps, it downloaded in about 30 secs, installed, and BAM, now has GPS settings, set to COM4, BAM, found Sat.'s and my location in seconds.

The moral if the story is, MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE TO THE LATESET GOOGLE_LIVE_SEARCH_YAHOO MAP program!!

Weeeeeeee haaaaawwww! VERY cool.

I found a program that works with the patch and gives speed and tracking called gpsVP. It's a freeware program and is not very user friendly. If we could get a thread going about how to work this program, that would be super!

Rec'd my BJII two days ago. Installed the GPS activator last night. Live Search and Google Maps today. Took my first trip, and it worked flawlessly with both software packages. Not sure how you guys did it, but a huge thanks!

Guest Manimore

Just wanted to let everyone know, been working through the night trying to get route 66 and tomtom to work. So far i got route 66 working but only with the latest versions.

Version 7.0.3458

• CHINA: improved best match; improved Taiwanese voice prompts
  • BRAZIL: improved Portuguese (Brazil) voice prompts
  • MAP: fixed island color
  • ENGINE: fixed invalid time to arrival
  • GPS:added support for Microsoft GPS intermediate driver multiplexer
  • TMC:fixed decoding of bidirectional events with positive extent using GNS R_4_0_10_1
  • MISC: improved default speed settings; fixed crash caused by long SMS messages in inbox

that driver multiplexer is the key here i believe i also had to get it started by starting gps test first and the starting route66

Rec'd my BJII two days ago. Installed the GPS activator last night. Live Search and Google Maps today. Took my first trip, and it worked flawlessly with both software packages. Not sure how you guys did it, but a huge thanks!

How long does it take for your GPS to lock on? I haven't installed the activator but my Live Search and Google Maps work with the GPS except they are a bit finicky. Sometimes it takes a while to lock on and other times it is quicker. Will installing the activator help these programs lock onto the GPS faster? The GPS is not very useful if you have to sit there for it to set itself up. Anyone have any tips on getting it to go faster?

Guest smallfry

I read this entire thread. tried some things and ended up getting gps to work with WLS, not with Google.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that i installed the patch, before i ever installed WLS, whereas I already had Google maps installed on my blackjack II before i installed the patch. I wonder if the com ports get set with defaults the first time you install the app (if you dont already have it patched) and then you cant change it afterwards... just guessing.

interestingly, I un-installed google maps, rebooted, re-installed and all the "initalize and search for sattelite" messages resolved instantly (unlike before when it just searched forever) however it never locked on.

WLS takes a while to lock on, but once it does it seems to work great.

Guest smallfry

Still working today too. takes about 3 minutes or so to lock on for WLS. I notice some pretty heavy battery usage. would definitely need a car charger to use this a lot.

I wonder, are WLS and Google Maps actually using satellites to triangulate? or cell towers? Would this work even if you have no neetwork cell coverage?

Guest grinny11

its cool everyone has had great luck with it working on here but mine does not work consistently at all. usually takes 4-5 tries outdoors in open air for it to catch with the patch and without the patch. that equals about 15 min. i could be so lost by that point. if this doesn't get fixed its gonna get returned to at&t like my Q was.

Guest colbornjames

Hi all... I'm having issues installing.

Steps taken: downloaded EXE file. Loaded it, add remove programs appears and the activator isn't there. The installer then hangs and won't let me load the file.

I know I'm a bit backward but what am I doing wrong?

James

Newbie post, but thought I would post my positive experience with the BJ2 and WLS.

First, I tried the OTA install, and got gobbledy-gook. App never showed up in Remove Programs. I'm new at all of this app loading and stuff, so I wasted a lot of time doing stupid things.

Eventually, I did a hard reboot, clearing the device. The first thing I did with a clean phone was install the .cab file from the device. This method worked quickly and painlessly. I should have used this mode the first time around.

I then restarted the phone. I then loaded WLS. This "might" be an important aspect - installing the app after the hack.

I then went into WLS, set the port to com4, and within 60 seconds got a great result. I couldn't be happier.

In addition, FWIW, before starting all of this, I originally attempted to use WLS without the hack using the Intermediate Driver. It never connected. Finally, all attempts at connections, both the earlier failed attempts, as well as the final good ones, took place outside under a clear sky, in the same location, so that my location was definitely not to blame for the earlier failed attempts.

For those having problems with a BJ2 and WLS, try these exact steps in this order and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Guest flat_banjo

I got Google Maps to work on my bjII with the patch, but was only able to use the "set by windows" my location setting under Google Maps mobile. Below are the steps I did to get it to work for me.

* Uninstall google maps.

* Apply patch.

* Restart bjII.

* Reinstall google maps.

* In google maps go to menu => options => gps settings.

* Make sure "Set by Windows" is checked (I tried com4 with a 19200 baud rate and could not get it to work for me).

* Go outside or in your car and from google maps select menu => use gps (I pulled out my hair trying to get this working from inside a house).

* From there you should be able to use "my location" and establish a route. You can even see the flashing dot move as you go on your route (or off).

Really, I think the main key here is being outdoors or close to it.

Guest nycnerd
Just wanted to let everyone know, been working through the night trying to get route 66 and tomtom to work. So far i got route 66 working but only with the latest versions.

Version 7.0.3458

• CHINA: improved best match; improved Taiwanese voice prompts
  • BRAZIL: improved Portuguese (Brazil) voice prompts
  • MAP: fixed island color
  • ENGINE: fixed invalid time to arrival
  • GPS:added support for Microsoft GPS intermediate driver multiplexer
  • TMC:fixed decoding of bidirectional events with positive extent using GNS R_4_0_10_1
  • MISC: improved default speed settings; fixed crash caused by long SMS messages in inbox

that driver multiplexer is the key here i believe i also had to get it started by starting gps test first and the starting route66

I have tested the Route 66 today and its working after GPS patch. Even i have observed that GPS is not starting automatically on COM4. You need it start it (sometimes) using either GPS Test or Google maps (with GPS Intermediate Driver as GPS option)

I have tried TOMTOM but no luck so far. Now we need find out how to kickstart this GPS guy. :-)

Edited by nycnerd

Guest nellson

Just my experience: GMAPS not able to function well using the native GPS connector on the BJII, and initially when I try it with the COM4 Activated at 9600 baud, I get "My Location not available". So I start GPSTest, and it finds COM4 and usually 3-4 satelites straight away. By the time I close GPSTest I will have 6-7 found. Then GMaps (Already running in the background) will work no problem. During this time I am outside on the streets of the city, it does NOT WORK at all inside any building I have tried and that is par with other high-end Garmin GPS units. I have noticed the GPSTest never shows that I have ANY satellite at a level more than a pixel's width above the "green" threshold. And opening my Garmin Rhino next to it to compare I see much stronger reception and more sats found which I might expect from a dedicated GPS with a bit of an external antenna and a battery the size of my BJII :(

Now once the BJII has signal, it does seem to hang onto it even when I get real close to a building, but once I step back in side the amount of sats drops from 6-7 to 1-2 very fast then dies altogether.

No luck getting All4one to work, but then I was just grabbing anything I could find to avoid the TeleNav fees. Will try something else, though GMAPS works pretty well for me as I do have the $40 unlimited data plan.

Nick

Just my experience: GMAPS not able to function well using the native GPS connector on the BJII, and initially when I try it with the COM4 Activated at 9600 baud, I get "My Location not available". So I start GPSTest, and it finds COM4 and usually 3-4 satelites straight away. By the time I close GPSTest I will have 6-7 found. Then GMaps (Already running in the background) will work no problem. During this time I am outside on the streets of the city, it does NOT WORK at all inside any building I have tried and that is par with other high-end Garmin GPS units. I have noticed the GPSTest never shows that I have ANY satellite at a level more than a pixel's width above the "green" threshold. And opening my Garmin Rhino next to it to compare I see much stronger reception and more sats found which I might expect from a dedicated GPS with a bit of an external antenna and a battery the size of my BJII :(

Now once the BJII has signal, it does seem to hang onto it even when I get real close to a building, but once I step back in side the amount of sats drops from 6-7 to 1-2 very fast then dies altogether.

No luck getting All4one to work, but then I was just grabbing anything I could find to avoid the TeleNav fees. Will try something else, though GMAPS works pretty well for me as I do have the $40 unlimited data plan.

Nick

You know that the google "My Location" feature in fact does not use GPS. It is their new service that uses cell towers to try to predict where you are and if it is unavailable that is not an indication of your GPS not working. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I'm gonna have to try GPSTest before GMAPS. GMAPS has found satellites on its own about twice out of the last 20+ times I've tried it outside my house and that's really sad. Maybe GPSTest has some more optimized way of locking the device onto the satellites and then GMAPS can pick up from there. Does anyone else have any experience with using GPSTest before other apps and seeing everything work well? If that's the case, this could be a good find as maybe Google will optimize their software in the same way GPSTest works so we can eliminate the initial step.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.