Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest skiergary

After installing the patch on my new Blackjack II, I was not able to connect to the internet. GPS was working for windows live and google maps with out setting it to com4. I had to reset my phone in order to get the internet to work again. And now when i apply the patch again it does noting. Any ideas to why the internet stoped working and why the patch does not work now????

Thank you :(

Install the hack, Run GPSTest on COM4, Then run Google/WLS - works almost every time for me and very quickly! The key is using GPSTest first. It must do something to "warm up" the GPS that Google/WLS can only successfully do like 5% of the time. I swear Google/WLS worked for me within seconds 9 out of 10 times doing this method and before when I didn't have GPSTest they worked like 1 out of 10 times.

I got my BJ II yesterday. I tried the MoDaCo GPS patch today. I cannot get it to work. I just tried hard resetting the phone, loading the patch, then GPSTest. I launch GPS test and it finds a GPS on COM4 and displays "GPS Starting up" with a yellow dot to the left. The fix stays at 1D. We never move beyond that.

I did got the red one because my old phone totally died yesterday and they were out of stock of the black ones. The black ones came back in stock today so I am swapping out in the morning. Any suggestions on getting it working with the new phone tomorrow? Should I try a different sequence of events?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Guest Monolithix
Is there some activation for HTC S730??

Paul please work on it!!

Unfortunately the S730 issue seems to be hardware based, so there isn't a lot that can be done!

daxdog, just get a good view of the sky :(

P

I tried leaving it out on my patio with a clear view of the sky for about 15 minutes running GPSTest. It never spotted any satellites.

Guest smallfry
Install the hack, Run GPSTest on COM4, Then run Google/WLS - works almost every time for me and very quickly! The key is using GPSTest first. It must do something to "warm up" the GPS that Google/WLS can only successfully do like 5% of the time. I swear Google/WLS worked for me within seconds 9 out of 10 times doing this method and before when I didn't have GPSTest they worked like 1 out of 10 times.

is there a cab for GPSTest? the patch is working for me great (with WLS only), but still takes 2-3 minutes to lock on. i am iterested to try your method to see if it speeds up lockon, but i do not have active sync set up.

Via my Blackjack 2 I was able to get my GPS to work flawlessly with the simcard inserted as well as without a cell tower relay (no simcard inserted). Therefore getting the BJ2 to truly function as a GPS not AGPS (hindered) receiver.

Actually after letting GPStest sit for 1 hour without a simcard inserted I was able to get a valid strong GPS signal Please note that without cell tower assist (AGPS) the BJ2 processor appears to burn a lot more processing power and therefore battery power searching for GPS location without cell reception.

Paul any suggestions on where to find turning assisted GPS validation off ? So as to force the BJ2 to never use the cell tower assist when searching for current location?

I have been searching the registry for a similar parameter but I have come up with null.

My goal was to be able to use my BJ 2 in the most remote area with a clear sky but no cell signal i.e. the Sahara or Everest, and that has worked now all I need are the maps for remote areas.

So I think have been able to get GPStest to work without a cellular signal available. AS

Furthermore Paul I have just realized that since I am not exactly in a true deadzone (I can still make a 911 emergency call ) despite not having a simcard inserted the phone may still be using AGPS without a simcard.

It's working!!!

I originally bought the wine color BJ2 because my phone was totally dead and they did not have any black ones in stock. I swapped with a black one this morning. I installed the MoDaCo GPS hack and everything is now working. I still have no idea why it never worked on the old one.

Now, on to a Bluetooth hack so I can listen to the XM Radio through my Bluetooth-enabled car radio...

Guest Miguel Ocque

Hello Guys I've trying and trying. since i got my bj2 yesterday afternoon. The only way for me to get gmaps or live search is if i start telenav (telenav starts up the gps) then after i get a signal in telenav its when i able to use gps in gmaps. Any ideas?

PS: i did installed the patch, then the apps.

also did a hard reset did the patch then again the apps. nothing works...only way is using telenav first.

I even tried using gps test. NADA!

Please help.....im thinking of returning my cell phone because of this. :(

Guest afterminute

After installing the file COM4 is visible in the setup GPS menu of TOMTOM, something that was not there before.

Question since people did mention they have Tomtom installed on their blackjack - HOW do you change the baud rate and select the com4. For my Tomtom 6 it seems like this has been made for a touch screen ( i do hve an HTC that I run TOmtom on).

I pressed every button and it will not highlight the selection and the jog wheel only changes the volume.

Are there two verions of TOMTOM for windows mobile, one for smarthphones and other for pocketPC??

othwerwise I'm finding that it is impossible to navigate through the setup menu with the keyboard.

Guest venom760

Question : for some reason I am unable to install. Still trying to get it to unlock, anyone have exact reg keys that need to be modded so I can unlock so I can install. I have researched this found a couple answers, nothing works.

Basically here is the issue.

Phone wont allow me to do any kind of install.

(Active Sync) copy cabs over, phone wont see them, search for them they are they try to run does nothing. (Like phone is locked from installing software)

Tried running apps from this forum no luck. Need help. please.

Edited by venom760

Guest Buggywhips

This thread was a great help. My BJII came in the mail today from www.letstalk.com and one of the first things I did was follow the advise of others and GPS now works great so far. All I did was install the patch, restarted the phone, installed google maps, restarted the phone, went outside and ran google maps. In about 30 seconds I locked onto 4 sat. and everything seems to work pretty well.

Thanks!

Guest combustion

After trying every possible way to get my GPS to work I had to resort to downloading and subscribing to telenav, although its a killer app I cant see myself paying 10$ a month for something I rarely use (other than to impress friends).

So I'm wondering if setting up the telenav somehow "turned on" the gps in my bjII. Has anyone else had to do the same??

Did google maps work once telenav was unsubscribed?

Edited by combustion

Guest Miguel Ocque

Guys IM VERY HAPPY. after 3 days of fighting with the phone and hack i got it to work. Here is what i did:

Hard reset my phone (Shutdown and power back hold the dpad up button)

installed the Modaco gps hack.

installed gmaps (no reboot)

Started gmaps ( PLZ leave gps settings alone to SET BY WINDOWS)

click on USE GPS. it will say "seeking gps satellites (0)" in about 10 secs you will have yor location.

GUYS i hope this really helps. I was frustrated for the past 3 days but its finally working.

PS: i even tried again. did a hard reset installed everything back and it worked.

GPS GPS GPSSSSSSSSSSSS.....nice!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!

Well just wanted to say this is my first post and ive owned the new BJ II for about 7 weeks now and both google maps and WLS works fine without any hack. And thinks for all the good info on here guy's keep up the good work!!!

Hi all,

My first post on MoDaCo....Woot Woot.

I have just joined (mainly for the Blackjack II Info) but I have been an avid reader for some time. I have just purchased my Blackjack II from ebay U.S site and it has yet to be delivered. Thought I would share my excitement for the device. Am very happy with the GPS hack info posted here and hoipe it develops further to include Tom Tom in the future. For now I will probably use the Gmaps and WLS with my Data pack when I change providers in February. This unit will be primarily in use in Australia so I hope all works well when it arrives (fingers crossed).

We have full HSDPA speeds here on the Telstra NextG network on 850mhz band so it should hammer along with no fuss. I dont know of many people actually using this phone or even tempting buying one here, there is no news of it's release here either so hopefully I will be one of the first :(

I hope this device fully kills my Cingular 8525 in terms of ease of use....I grew tired of the slide out keyboard and the need to use the touchscreen for number dialling...was a great phone in many respects but the actual phone use for me failed in many ways (personal opinion)...

What do you guys think will be needed to get Tom Tom working? So far there are minimal posts on this subject as I guess not many are using it for the smartphone platform (I have it on my 8525 becuse of the landscape mode layout and touch screen useage is easy). I understand the com 4 port for GPS is enabled through the GPS activation hack but I want to know why Tom Tom doesnt see the Internal GPS. HAs anyone tried it by just using the WM6 built in connector!!! Does this not work as well? I guess someone would have tried it as it would have been the next step after trying to manually configure it. I think for the record my 8525 had difficulty using a manual setup and would sometimes fail (regulalry actually) to find my external holux 236 GPS device even though it was paired and ready to go (had signal etc). Ever since using the WM6 GPS confiugure software in auto setup it works everytime....with a manual setup I would need a soft reset to get it discovered and then Tom Tom would see it and fire up...could have just been my 8525 with the black majik rom.

Anyway I hope I can use Tom Tom in the future..great site and excellent development.

Guest KarlZuHoch
I found it interesting that it worked with out the hack so I removed the hack and mine worked also.

I could never get it to work with com4: Google Maps times out trying to initialize the GPS. I wonder if this is why Pocket Streets will not find the GPS.

One thing different on my BJ II is I ran SN App Unlock before I installed any apps. With the BJ 1 you had to do this to install some apps and modify the registry. I wonder if there is a conflict with this app that does an app unlock, and SN App Unlock.

SeanH

I did exactly what SeanH has done, Installed app_unlock, installed hack then googlemaps. Tried com4 but never worked, uninstalled hack, gps magicly works on google maps!... I will try on windows live maps later.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.