Dual SHOCK - is this the best Windows Mobile device ever?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest StGeorge
Indeed, SPB GPRS monitor should be on the CD.

Quick check on the CD and it looks like this is only the case with OEM handsets - those of us with O branded ones are bang out of luck!

I am going to go with SPB GPRS Monitor unless someones recommends a better alternative?! I really like the degree of detail you can include concerning your tarrif. It isnt free but at $15 with the exchange rate in our favour I suppose it wont break the bank (and the phone was free after all).

Wonder how long before someone with T-Mobile W'n'W comes along and asks why you care how much data you are using :(

E

Guest Doctor HRH
Indeed, SPB GPRS monitor should be on the CD.

P

Unfortunately the CD that Orange provided just has a trial version of Outlook 2007 and MS Active Sync 4.x.

No use to me whatsoever!

However I installed Spb from the web last night on the off chance, so we'll see.

Still got no clue why there is a timer running while I'm connected to the internet, in the information speech bubble at the top of the screen. It says "Orange Internet (3G) 00:23:24 (this obviously keeps ticking)".

I thought this was only relevant to dial-up?

Needless to say I can't get much sense from Orange data support :(

Guest Doctor HRH
It's a hang over from dial up I suppose, nothing to really worry about :(

If you set the connection to 'always on', it disappears.

P

Really sorry Paul, but I can't seem to find where exactly to set it to 'always on' :D

Guest Tothotspur

thanks for that but when i switch the band to gsm i don't get any service. gsm + umts does give me service but this still swtiches back and forth.

another thing i can't find which is also probably right under my nose is how to turn on delivery reports.

Guest Doctor HRH
thanks for that but when i switch the band to gsm i don't get any service. gsm + umts does give me service but this still swtiches back and forth.

another thing i can't find which is also probably right under my nose is how to turn on delivery reports.

For delivery reports - in SMS - go to create new message and click message options at the bottom

For MMS do the same but choose options then send options

tick the boxes accordingly

Cheers,

HRH

Guest muldered
Just couldnt resist it - couldnt justify the cost of an OEM 20 key - got an okay-ish deal from O for data so dont feel as though I have been stiched up too much, not as good as last year but better than nothing!

It is still a bit soon to make a definitive decision as to whether it is the best device ever but atm I am getting used to it - all synced up and ready to go, so if I can just get this work-lark out of the way then I will have a proper play! Just need to get the home screen looking like the HTC demos not Orange and I will be half way there!

As for tabbed browsing, couple of options I think - although I am sure someone who knows what they are talking about will correct me..... I think Opera supports tabbed browsing and there are various plugins for IE to add the feature!

Cheers

Ed

What deal did you get on the data from O then? Had your contract run out? I still have a few months left on my contract, but I'm planning on leaving them for T-Mobile...unless they can persuade me otherwise!

Thanks,

Mike

Guest StGeorge
What deal did you get on the data from O then? Had your contract run out? I still have a few months left on my contract, but I'm planning on leaving them for T-Mobile...unless they can persuade me otherwise!

It all got quite complecated but I managed to do okay - £27 per month:

* Free handset

* 750 minutes

* 250 texts

* Orange Care

* 30 MB data

This was done by taking my existing Talk 750 and adding a 30MB data bundle (FOC) and adding a £20 credit to the account each month. I was on unlimited data for the last year but averaged about 30MB (although it peaked at 80 for a couple of months) so I should be okay and will see how I get on monitoring the usage which is mainly push email. I was paying just over £40 per month so I should be £13 better off, although that wont last long if I over-spend on data! It is another 18 month contract I was in month 15 (I think) of an existing 18 monther.

Cheers

Ed

Guest Doctor HRH
It all got quite complecated but I managed to do okay - £27 per month:

* Free handset

* 750 minutes

* 250 texts

* Orange Care

* 30 MB data

This was done by taking my existing Talk 750 and adding a 30MB data bundle (FOC) and adding a £20 credit to the account each month. I was on unlimited data for the last year but averaged about 30MB (although it peaked at 80 for a couple of months) so I should be okay and will see how I get on monitoring the usage which is mainly push email. I was paying just over £40 per month so I should be £13 better off, although that wont last long if I over-spend on data! It is another 18 month contract I was in month 15 (I think) of an existing 18 monther.

Cheers

Ed

Nice one Ed, that sounds pretty cool.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I'm in a similar boat to you, been with Orange for years and am seriously wondering about moving. Having spoken to a couple of different Orange retentions people it seems that data is one of their biggest weak points.

As we're all aware but their "unlimited" data bundles are 30 MB for £8 per month and if you want anything near what most of us would regard as not even close to unlimited - i.e. 80 MB - it's £40 per month extra. At least that's what one of the blokes I spoke to said.

The only other thing I was considering is the off-peak unlimited for £5 per month.

This link has the official terms:

http://www1.orange.co.uk/entertainment/OrangeWorld/terms.php

I've just upgraded to the Dual - two days ago - so I can still send it back. I am definitely considering T-Mobile BUT

My problem is that T-Mob may well offer genuine unlimited data but the rest of it won't be anything like what I've got now.

Per month I get 500 mins, 100 texts, 4 MB GPRS, 20 Photo messages, 10 video messages (which I've never used, but hey) and Orange Care (which I have used many times in the past few years).

for £38 so not as good as Ed - BUT it's a 12 monther so I can renegociate a bit sooner.

I've got a laptop and WIFI at home and Uni (I'm a medical student) so I'm wondering if it's really worth paying more for the minutes and texts etc. just to have the freedom to browse on my mobile whenever I want. How often am I really going to need the GPRS usage? I'm not away from the WIFI often enough to warrant it.

I think I'll probly just stick with what I've got for now.

What I was trying to say initially was - you'll be VERY lucky if you can negotiate unlimited data with Orange the way things are at the mo.

Sorry for waffling somewhat off topic - but I think it's all linked still to whether or not the Dual is the best WinMo handset ever!

Cheers,

Harvey

Guest Doctor HRH
Nice one Ed, that sounds pretty cool.

Mike,

I'm in a similar boat to you, been with Orange for years and am seriously wondering about moving. Having spoken to a couple of different Orange retentions people it seems that data is one of their biggest weak points.

As we're all aware but their "unlimited" data bundles are 30 MB for £8 per month and if you want anything near what most of us would regard as not even close to unlimited - i.e. 80 MB - it's £40 per month extra. At least that's what one of the blokes I spoke to said.

The only other thing I was considering is the off-peak unlimited for £5 per month.

This link has the official terms:

http://www1.orange.co.uk/entertainment/OrangeWorld/terms.php

I've just upgraded to the Dual - two days ago - so I can still send it back. I am definitely considering T-Mobile BUT

My problem is that T-Mob may well offer genuine unlimited data but the rest of it won't be anything like what I've got now.

Per month I get 500 mins, 100 texts, 4 MB GPRS, 20 Photo messages, 10 video messages (which I've never used, but hey) and Orange Care (which I have used many times in the past few years).

for £38 so not as good as Ed - BUT it's a 12 monther so I can renegociate a bit sooner.

I've got a laptop and WIFI at home and Uni (I'm a medical student) so I'm wondering if it's really worth paying more for the minutes and texts etc. just to have the freedom to browse on my mobile whenever I want. How often am I really going to need the GPRS usage? I'm not away from the WIFI often enough to warrant it.

I think I'll probly just stick with what I've got for now.

What I was trying to say initially was - you'll be VERY lucky if you can negotiate unlimited data with Orange the way things are at the mo.

Sorry for waffling somewhat off topic - but I think it's all linked still to whether or not the Dual is the best WinMo handset ever!

Cheers,

Harvey

Sorry me again :(

Well it looks like I'm sending my lovely Touch Dual back Orange and I'm not sure if or when I'll get a new one.

It's that intermittent pixel problem that I mentioned 2 hours after I got it. Very strange thing it is - top left of the screen - tiny lines of about 1 to 2mm in width going down about a third of the screen.

Rang up Orange wanting to send it back for a replacement. Spoke to a dude in retentions who said that he would send me out a bag that I need to take to the post office. It would get to me in 3 working days or so. Apparently they're very busy at the mo. I have to pay the postage - around a fiver?? and he will credit it back to me on my account.

I asked him why we weren't using the Orange Care and he told me that he wanted me to have a brand new handset. Apparently if you get an Orange care replacement, it's a refurbished handset!!! I never knew that. Am I just a bit slow or is that a revelation to anyone?

Anyway, the turnaround for them to receive and check my handset and then for me to ring up and do a new upgrade and receive the new phone is around 12 to 14 working days!!!! I'm frankly a bit bewildered...

I may end up not bothering in the end after all this excitement and enthusiasm. I might just stick with my annoying but trusty P990i :D

Guest pbarclay
I'm a medical student

Harvey

Harvey,

When I was a medical student (between 1982 to 1987, when mobile phones were only carried by Wall Street types like Gordon Gecko and were the size of several house bricks, no-one would have used a Doctor moniker for fear of tempting fate in the finals! Even the chap with a PhD in Biochemistry kept fairly quiet about it.

I guess times have changed a little - mind you, so have us Consultants!

Good luck with your studies: definitely worth trying out the iGo keyboard to make notes in PBL tutorials/libraries etc.

Philip

post-322603-1199483216_thumb.jpg

Edited by pbarclay

Guest Disco Stu
I asked him why we weren't using the Orange Care and he told me that he wanted me to have a brand new handset. Apparently if you get an Orange care replacement, it's a refurbished handset!!! I never knew that. Am I just a bit slow or is that a revelation to anyone?

No, that's normal.

At first it bothered me - new handset replaced by second hand - but then if I'm getting a replacement with bugs ironed out then I'm probably better off.

Most of the time we wouldn't notice unless they told us so I don't think it's anything to get upset about.

Am I making sense ? :(

Guest firkinfedup

I hate the way that mobile phone manufacturers have what could technically be the ultimate mobile device but then remove a feature that a massive number of users actually use quite allot. Saying that no Wifi isn't a big deal is fair enough if you don't use it, but I use Wifi on my Touch quite often, as I did on my M600 too.

Although this has some really excellent changes and the 400mhz cpu really glides that Touch flo menu rather than chugging it along when it had only 200mhz, I think the lack of Wifi is a huge let down.

If the HTC Cruise had a keypad then I would get that, but now I dunno if I want to spend the money upgrading to the Touch Dual. I don't have a flat rate data plan and am reluctant to change my call plan as Orange can't match it with any of their other offers at the moment.

Big disappointment from me :(

Guest StGeorge

I am only a couple of days into my "7 working days" to make my mind up and at the moment I am a little bit unsure.....

My main gripe is with the usability, I just find the various input methods, physical keyboard, software keyboard, stylus and touchflo a little confusing as to which to use when?! I have little doubt this is me and I will get there!

My main gripe was the lack of an OK button which I was finding a real bind having to use the touch-screen to hit the "x" to close windows, for example when you have read an email and want to return to the inbox - on my old Treo 750v you just hot okay but this phone is lacking the button :( . Having said that, I have now mapped the camera button to and I am much much happier :D !

There is no doubt it is a pretty good device, I just think perhaps I need to get a bit more used to it!

e

Guest Doctor HRH
no-one would have used a Doctor moniker for fear of tempting fate in the finals! Even the chap with a PhD in Biochemistry kept fairly quiet about it.

I guess times have changed a little - mind you, so have us Consultants!

Good luck with your studies: definitely worth trying out the iGo keyboard to make notes in PBL tutorials/libraries etc.

Philip

Thanks Philip.

You're right about the Doctor Moniker - at the time I did it I was having doubts about my abilities. I'm 34 you see with a family and it's rather more challenging than it should be really! I thought, "if I call myself Doctor, at least in the virtual world, it will be more likely to happen."

Since then I've thought better of it. I actually contacted Paul, the Main Man of the forum, asking him how to change my name (to Medical HRH) as I can't find the option anywhere in my profile settings. I expect he's probably been a bit too busy to reply personally. Does anyone know how to do it? Or will I have to just create a new profile?

As for the iGo keyboard, I don't need one as I've bought a touch screen laptop - the HP Pavilion tx1000 - which (more or less) does the job as well as a significantly more expensive tablet. The screen is not 100% accurately calibrated and at the mo it's with HP being looked at. Despite that small problem, it still allows me to write to a degree of accuracy which I would say is better than using a keyboard. It's certainly quicker.

It's a traditional course with didactic lecture-based learning. No PBL thank goodness! Basically I'm able to annotate all the lectures which these days are all in electronic form available in advance. I use an old SPV M2000 to record all the lectures too. I listen back and read through the notes, all via the medium of one conveniently compact laptop! :(

Guest Doctor HRH
I am only a couple of days into my "7 working days" to make my mind up and at the moment I am a little bit unsure.....

My main gripe is with the usability, I just find the various input methods, physical keyboard, software keyboard, stylus and touchflo a little confusing as to which to use when?! I have little doubt this is me and I will get there!

My main gripe was the lack of an OK button which I was finding a real bind having to use the touch-screen to hit the "x" to close windows, for example when you have read an email and want to return to the inbox - on my old Treo 750v you just hot okay but this phone is lacking the button :( . Having said that, I have now mapped the camera button to and I am much much happier :D !

There is no doubt it is a pretty good device, I just think perhaps I need to get a bit more used to it!

e

I agree with you on the input methods. It's not just you at all Ed. It's dead confusing. What the hell is XT9? Normal, very easy-to-use T9 but unnecessarily more complicated???? This Touch keyboard thing is really annoying and several days on, I still haven't worked it out. Who in their right minds decided not to put the full stop character somewhere easily accessible - e.g. the first page of the symbols menu at the very least?? For this, you have to go to page 2. Unless it's just me of course. I suspect it was someone for whom grammar and punctuation play a role of extremely little importance.

In the past, I've always been the one to encourage technophobic friends and family to make the most of all their phones' features. I would urge them move on to using predictive text, singing its praises and demonstrating how to use it. Now it seems, I have become the very person I used to teach!! Painful as it is to admit, I could really do with a tutorial on how to use all these input methods!!

On a positive note however, the music player on this Dual is really excellent in my opinion. Definitely good enough for me to use at the gym (a place I have happily avoided over the Christmas break! :D ).

It's a device which one minute fills me with adoration and enthusiasm and the next minute makes me want to drop it from a ten-storey building. If it had WIFI built in, then I may very well not even be on this forum. I think that feature would render all of the other faults irrelevant. At least in my eyes.

Alas, there is no WIFI... :D

Edited by Doctor HRH

Just got my 20 key model....jeeez this keyboards confusing.

how do input the letters on the number pad?

if i press any of the number keys i get 5999999999735396425 any of the others

QW ,OP,AS,L,ZX work fine its just the number keys

Any ideas guys as to what im doing wrong?...or have i got a dodgy unit?

Guest Doctor HRH
Just got my 20 key model....jeeez this keyboards confusing.

how do input the letters on the number pad?

if i press any of the number keys i get 5999999999735396425 any of the others

QW ,OP,AS,L,ZX work fine its just the number keys

Any ideas guys as to what im doing wrong?...or have i got a dodgy unit?

Mine's a 16 keyer so I'm probly not much help, but it sounds a bit weird what's happening to you.

With mine, sometimes when I choose the 20 key virtual keyboard it comes up with a normal qwerty, i.e. it doesn't register.

I'd say don't panic. Stick with it for a bit and see if it's just you.

As mentioned in the previous posts by me and Ed (St George), the input methods are hideously confusing so you might find it'll get easier if you persevere.

Where did you get the handset by the way, out of interest?

Cheers,

H

Edited by Doctor HRH

Mine's a 16 keyer so I'm probly not much help, but it sounds a bit weird what's happening to you.

With mine, sometimes when I choose the 20 key virtual keyboard it comes up with a normal qwerty, i.e. it doesn't register.

I'd say don't panic. Stick with it for a bit and see if it's just you.

As mentioned in the previous posts by me and Ed (St George), the input methods are hideously confusing so you might find it'll get easier if you persevere.

Where did you get the handset by the way, out of interest?

Cheers,

H

Got it off ebay mate

Seems to be working ok now after id done a hard reset....was a little puzzled to start with :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.