Backup guide-Dosnt work with UK Update (canary v0.98)

Guest DJHope

I have had one thought. I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread before. If you get the update then restore your IPSM, isn't there a danger that you may loose some important new registry setting or other new "thing" that gets added to the IPSM by the update.

DOH!!!! Did not think of that :oops:

AWarner, arew you being serious or just joking?

I haven't risked erasing the IPSM before loading a saved version as I don't want to loose my unlock settings. Also the LOAD option comes up and I assume would overwrite the IPSM.

Do you or DJ Hope believe that you need to erase the IPSM BEFORE loading a saved IPSM. Has anyone checked this out. If so the Backup sticky will need rewriting again (sorry DJ) and I'll risk all.

Thanks for all you guys are doing.

Guest awarner [MVP]

When I updated I tried to install the backup of my IPSM and it did not seem to work

as I then had to go through the decert process again ;)

Erasing the IPSM first would make sence so whenif I up my rom to the uk version I would give it a go.

So no I am not joking :)

Remember as soon as you update you will lose your unlock settings so your IPSM after the update would be

useless anyway. But you can stil decert your phone, it's just your timing needs to be better.

I havnt tried this and i wouldnt have a clue, but it seems like it would definately "force" the IPSM to be written. The only reason this dosnt make any sense is because the 32/64mb backup dosnt require this, but then that is a full backup maybe thats a completely different kettle of fish?

DJ Hope

Guest Michael Eyres

Sorry to say it boys...but, I suspect like most people, (Standard users), I don't have an additional card except the 8MB that came with the phone:oops: .

As I suspect that it will not fit the backup to that, can I backup direct to a PC drive via the Windows explorer :idea: ?

Help only hours to go before I upgrade... and manybe lose things

Thanks M.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Theres no way to back up to your PC through ActiveSync, it's been disabled for some reason :/

As it happens, when the update arrives i'll temporarily sacrifice my 128meg SD card to a backup until i'm happy everything is working fine.

Thanks AWarner for replying.Clear now.

Monolithix said he would temporarily sacrifice his 128meg card. I could do that too by copying everything to the PC then copying back.

But can the card be reformatted as an ordinary card afterwards by the SPV. I'd read somewhere that it couldn't. Any ideas?

:lol:

DJHOPE AWarner and others, I thanx.

I've now bought a 32meg SD card (cheap) saved ALL (full backup) removed a picture file from the IPSM and restored just the IPSM and the picture is restored.

Now the upgrade.

Two things though DJ... On saving ALL (which the 32mg card is big enough for) after formatting the disk it then kept me informed of which files it was saving and when done it said PASSED at the bottom.

On loading the IPSM back (I didn't have to erase the IPSM) It said "loading file" and when completed it said PASSED again. This loaded the IPSM file saved to the SD card over the IPSM on the phone. Great.

:) ;)

Hi All, Having updated my SPV I now dont seem to be able to get the bootloader give me any option other than load from an old card or erase IPSM. What I would like to do is save an image of my newly updated card. have tried new formatted cards as well as erasing one of my old ones but no luck. Anyone else managed??

A bit more searching of this forum......and you guys had already answered the question under a different topic.... here for anyone like me that missed it, USB terminal program to do the job

http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic...ight=bootloader

nice guide thx :)

just backed up ALL to a 32meg mmc card, it was surprisingly fast and does indeed say PASSED at the bottom.

Works fine, now time to do the update and desimlock ;)

Guest spvmastah

i did the software update, and although i did the backup first, it wasnt needed, everything is as it was before the backup, except that the 2 new programes are now installed.

is this normal?

Guest Gadgetman

I also carried out the UK upgrade and found decert still working. Also ran the SIM unlock routine afterwards, went OK.

Then, out of interest, used a full backup taken before UK update to restore to pre-update, went OK.

Then reapplied uk update and found that decert still ok, as well as SIM unlock.

Whatever the UK update does, it appears not to affect Decert and SIM unlock.

hope this info helps

Guest spacemonkey

OK, decert once applied is stored in the registry. That is IPSM. This will only be lost if you delete IPSM (as in do a hard reset).

Sim-Unlock codes I think are more likely to be stored in some little bit of flash ram in the bios somewhere and once that's unlocked I'd hope even a hard reset didn't re-lock it.

I would be interested to know if anyone can confirm whether a hard reset puts sim-lock back on.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest jenylights
*UPDATED*

*NOTE* PLEASE READ EVERYTHING ON HERE BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING

Backups dont work with the UK update their is a fairly complicated way round it, which i will write up soon, it involves using a terminal program to flash back the DK update bootloader!

:!: DISCLAIMER: I CANNOT BE HELD RESPOSIBLE IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE REMEMBER YOU ARE PLAYING WITH YOUR PHONES ROM, EXTRA TERRESTRIAL SPACE FREQUENCIES MIGHT PISS THIS UP! :!:  

Ok now im assuming here you phone is switched on and nothing has been modified except maybe the cert unlock!

1- Find a spare memory card the process is different for each size of memory card. 8MB, 32MB, 64MB(max required but you can use anything bigger)!

2- Switch phone off and switch phone on with memory card of choice inserted, make sure you are holding down the voice record button.

3- The smartphone bootloader should kick in and say "Card Found"

4- Hold down the action button for one second as directed

5- Now you should be presented with various save options including

Save ALL, Save Bootloader, Save GSM, Save WinCE and Save IPSM and various other combinations of these.

6- Depending on the size of the memory card chosen you will be able to  back up a minium of just the IPSM (for 8mb) to a complete backup for 32mb/64mb. NOTE: The ipsm contains the registry, all your settings, contacts, text messages, backgrounds, ringtones basically everything on the phone that is user selectable or has to be modified by the operating system, since this backs up the registry YES it will keep cert unlocked and off!

7- It takes sometime and may appear like its not doing anything but eventually you will be able to press keys this is the sign that it has finished, for some reason it dosnt say passed but you will know if its finished! The key here is you should be ok as long as it hasnt said FAILED which happens if it runs out of space, it shouldnt take any longer than a MAX of 20-30mins (for a full backup)

8- you now have a quality backup, press left twice goto end and holdpower button to reset the phone.

UPDATE: You can DEFINATELY use an 8mb card to backup IPSM, it has been confirmed below, finally a reason to dig it up ;)

TO RESTORE THE BACKUP

1- insert memory card containing the backup and switch on the phone holding the voice record button.

2- it will now ask you if you want to restore the backup, if you only want to restore PART of the backup (e.g. you made a full backup but only want to restore the IPSM) press the power button (to get rid of the normal restore menu) and then hold action key as instructed to get to diag menu.

3- their are now options to LOAD various parts of the backup so if you just want to load the ipsm back on press LOAD IPSM. NOTE: it says something strange like find file and click to save and it appears to have hung leave it it hasnt hung, eventually it will say P A S S E D.

Your backup should now be restored and all settings will now be INDENTICAL to when you made the backup. This process is especially useful when you do the update since you can save IPSM and then do the update, restore IPSM and all your settings will be kept exactly as if you hadnt even touched the phone.

Also a complete restore of the backup (if you did a complete backup) should get rid of the danish rom update too i havnt tried this but it seems pretty obvious.  

NOTE: DO NOT F*CK/EDIT/JUMP ON THE BACKUP IT WILL DESTORY YOUR PHONE, THE SD CARD IS NOT READABLE BY SMARTPHONE WINDOWS SO TAKE IT OUT BEFORE IT LOADS OR IT WILL WANT TO FORMAT IT, WINDOWS 98/XP ETC CANNOT READ THIS SD CARD EATHIER IT CAN ONLY BE READ BY THE SMARTPHONE BOOTLOADER AND A WINDOWS HEX EDITOR (WHICH I ADVISE AGAINST). OH AND IF YOU DO BACKUP THE SD CARD TO A FILE (using a hex editor) YOU WONT BE ABLE TODO THIS THROUGH ACTIVESYNC ONLY AN SD CARD READER

:idea: *NOTE TO PEOPLE INTENDING 8MB BACKUP* :idea: 8MB BACKUPS CAN BE A LITTLE BIT DODGY (NO IDEA WHY) TEST THE BACKUP BEFORE UPDATING:

1-Put something in your IPSM before doing the backup  

2-Do the backup, then delete the thing you put in your IPSM  

3-Restore the backup and it should come back(if it dosnt you dont have a good backup, otherwise you do!).  

4-If you didnt get a good backup then try again but remove some stuff from your IPSM, and go through this continuous cycle.  

NOTE: You *shouldnt* damage your IPSM so dont worry!  

Nice one peeps,

Take it easy,

DJ Hope

PS if you do the danish rom update and then IPSM restore you will need two shortcut files for the new apps:

WindowsEzSound.exe for picture manager  

WindowsEzPic.exe for sound manager

:!: PROBLEMS UPDATING(TO DANISH UPDATE) &  RESTORING IPSM :!:

:arrow: ONLY FOR ENGLISH USERS, DANISH USERS CAN IGNORE!

Ok now using this method orange update/orange backup arnt working this is because something in IPSM is giving away our locale as UK and not DK.

Since the files used for orange update in the windows directory all have "orangedk" in them it will complain about not being able to find locale specific resources.

Got a new procedure for this thanks to shuflie copy the files below to IPSM/Windows before backing-up and updating then orange backup/update will always work.

Thanks to preconsitant/cent for the original info!

The files are:

AE_en.dll  

AEB_orange_en.dll  

AECommon.dll  

AEL_orange_en.dll  

AER_orange_en.dll  

AERASManager11.dll  

AEU_orange_en.dll

• 1 month later...
Guest Alderian

OK, need a bit of basic help with this. My Tanager (E100?) only somes up with Erase IPSM when I use thw voice recorder button/power on method. Is there a way do this that I'm missing?

• 1 year later...

i have and e200 smartphone and have installed a 256mb sd card. when the phones internal memory is full I have changed the memory options box to transfer all new photos and videos to the storage card, but when I take new photos/videos I get a message on the phone saying 'unable to save the captured image. file access was denied'. can you tell me what the problem could be?