T-Mobile UK Data Connection problems

Guest pjam001

Guest pjam001

Hi,

Is anyone else having real problems with T-Mobile's GPRS at the moment? I struggle to connect or the connection seems to hang. (The phone saying connected but no data is exchanged).

Occasionally, it works ok.

Cheers

pjam

Guest spvc500
Hi,

Is anyone else having real problems with T-Mobile's GPRS at the moment? I struggle to connect or the connection seems to hang. (The phone saying connected but no data is exchanged).

Occasionally, it works ok.

Cheers

pjam

I'm having that problem with 3G data, dropped back to 2G and GPRS seems okay. Got a Vario III and a TyTN II on T-Mobile and have the same problem with both since yesterday pm, so guess it must be a tower or wider network problem. I'm in S. Yorks.

Guest chucky.egg

I had that sort of problem a couple of months ago, in Kent

In the end I gave up and moved to Vodafone, but I miss the Flext way of life (I pay a LOT more on Vodafone just so I don't have to worry about limits)

I was thinking about coming back in 6 months, but it doesn't sound like their data issues are resolved yet.

I think my local cell is broken, it keeps dropping signal altogether! Must call T-Mo...

P

I've been having this problem in Salisbury for weeks. I assumed it was the device, as I'd heard there were problems with the radio dropping the signal, and also that the signal deteriotates over time. I definately had better reception when I first bought my Vario III 3 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest taffowl
I'm having that problem with 3G data, dropped back to 2G and GPRS seems okay. Got a Vario III and a TyTN II on T-Mobile and have the same problem with both since yesterday pm, so guess it must be a tower or wider network problem. I'm in S. Yorks.

Hi mate,

Just been reading an old thread where you said you were in Sheffield and having probs with your Vario II.. anyway i'm in Sheffield too and for the last two months have been having a nightmare where I live (Crookes) with the 3g network.

If i'm at work in the city centre I have no problems whatsoever.. great hsdpa downloads speeds,, never miss a call and no problems making calls... As soon as I head up to Crookes my Vario II just cannot seem to make or receive calls even though I have a good 3g signal. if I leave my phone on overnight by the next morning the phone has lost signal altogether and needs the phone switching off then back on again.

If I switch to the GSM network the problem making/receiving calls dissappears completley.

Well I spoke to T-Mobile last night before reading the internet posts and they put me through to Tech Support.. by the sturness of the tech support women (I work in IT 3rd level Tech support and would never tolerate my staff speaking with a customer how she did) it sounds like they are sick of people ringing up about the problem.. the women basically told me it was normal service to loose a 3g signal and that even she had to switch to the GSM network whilst at home.. When I started to suggest that maybe the cell/mast was overloaded she didn't seem to take me telling her what may be the problem very well (very abrupt replies, not interested in what I said and long silences).. finally I think she just agreed that the network was too busy in that area and I had to live with it. Bit rubbish considering that i'm paying for a 3g phone and my area is supposed to be a very 3g good signal area. Anyway, much like most people have been told, the women would not give any updates on when the network would be upgraded.

For info, I'm on the latest WM6 Offical T-Mobile rom though I have tried numerous different radio stacks from over at XDA developers without any joy.

Off to ring T-mobile and ask for a reduction in my tarriff until the problem is fixed.

Edited by taffowl

Guest taffowl

In order to raise awareness of this issue after getting nowheer with my complaint to T-mobile I have sent the following email to "the Register" website (www.theregister.co.uk).. its worth a try is suppose.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm a great fan of your website, keep up the good work.

Anyway this email is to see if you would be able to run a news story regarding the ongoing 3g issues plaguing the the t-mobile 3g network at the moment.

Through T-mobile customer services I have tried to escalate the current problems without success.

The problem:

3g phones are unusable when connected to some of the T-Mobile 3g network cells/masts. By unusable I mean that users are experiencing not being able to make or receive phone calls or perform data connections whilst on the 3g network..One major concern is that affected users are showing as having a good strength 3g signal but have reported that when people try to ring them a message is heard saying that the number is not recognised and therefore not even being redirected to voicemail.

On speaking to T-mobile Tech support (less than helpful) they suggested that in the affected areas users should switch to the GSM network instead. This does work however defeats the purpose of paying extra for a 3g phone, also it is an inconvenience having to switch manually over to the GSM network.

Now for me personally, this problem has only started to happen in the last two months however T-mobile are refusing to accept the network is at fault though they did indicate the mast may have too many 3g phones registered in the area that I live.. unfortunately T-mobile said that network would not be upgraded any time soon if this was the problem. (interesting as I read a news item on your website suggesting a 3g link up with the telecom provider 3)

So users paying extra for a 3g phone as well as a 3g tariff (T-mobile WnW) are unable to use their service correctly. When I asked for a reduction in tariff until this issue was resolved T-mobile declined saying there was nothing they could do.

From looking at a few of the forum links below the problem seems to be widespread across the country with people in London in such places like canary wharf also affected.

http://www.modaco.com/content/HTC-Kaiser-K...ction-problems/

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showthread.php?t=69156

http://www.modaco.com/content/HTC-Hermes-H...3G/#entry797509

No problems, if you are unable to run a news is item, but if you are and are also able to get an official response from T-mobile that would be great.

cheers

Hi mate,

Just been reading an old thread where you said you were in Sheffield and having probs with your Vario II.. anyway i'm in Sheffield too and for the last two months have been having a nightmare where I live (Crookes) with the 3g network.

Hi taffowl,

I'm in Greystones and still having problems (Vario III and TyTN II). I have to remember to switch 3G off when I get home otherwise it constantly fails to connect. I've done a bit more testing and it certainly seems to only affect me when I'm on one particular cell - which happens to be when I'm at home. Like you, the city centre (and pretty much the rest of the city) seem to give good data rates

I phoned T-Mobile again this evening and managed to speak to someone in tech support who promised to follow it up. He did say that a number of the cells local to me (but not the cell that I was currently connected to) were shown as being "saturated" which wasn't a good thing. It all used to work so well but seems to have gone a bit pear-shaped recently.

Cowie.

Guest ant_thomas
Hi mate,

If i'm at work in the city centre I have no problems whatsoever.. great hsdpa downloads speeds,, never miss a call and no problems making calls... As soon as I head up to Crookes my Vario II just cannot seem to make or receive calls even though I have a good 3g signal. if I leave my phone on overnight by the next morning the phone has lost signal altogether and needs the phone switching off then back on again.

I'm exactly the same, Vario II, but with a Schaps WM6 ROM, have used others too in the past and still got the same problem, so clearly a T-Mobile issue.

I also live in Crookes and it's an absolute nightmare. Have to turn off 3G and revert to GSM just to get the damn phone to work, often that doesn't make a difference and I have use Comm Manager to turn the "phone" part off and back on again. At first I thought it was a phone issue but I've been back at home in Manchester over Christmas and had no problems with 3G being enabled anywhere I went. It seems to just be this Cell near Crookes.

It seems in Crookes the 3G just dies and you need to turn the phone stack off and on again (or reboot the phone) to get it to register again properly, and that's when the influx txt messages and answer phone messages start.

Very annoying getting txt messages hours late just because I've forgotten to turn off my 3G when we're in a supposedly good 3G area. I even bought the phone in Sheffield.

This really does need sorting.

Guest taffowl

Well, I was on the phone again last night.. as I never heard back from T-mobile.. I had to explain the whole problem again trying silly things i'd already tried such as taking the sim out and wiping it..... They then put me through to some foreign team who after 2 mins just put the phone down... I rang back and was put on hold for a further 35 mins! and then the line went dead again....Finally I got though and asked to speak with their tech team.. The guy was very helpful to be fair but did say that nobody else as far as he knew was having problems with 3g anywhere in the country let alone Sheffield!!

The tech team have asked me to try making and receiving phone calls at different times for the next 24 hrs and then they are going to ring me back tonight.. once they have the info they can then assign a Network engineer to have a look at the cell/mast in my area.

My checks so far have showed that I am unable to make any calls or receive calls when my phone is on the 3g network no matter what time of the day it is (in the Crookes area)... even tried to 6am this morning. As I said before as soon as I head into the city I have no problems whatsoever.

Ant_thomas - when I speak with T-mobile tonight i'll try and get a problem/reference number so that other people can quote the number when speaking with t-mobile... at least then t-mobile will be more aware that it is affecting more people than just me.

Edited by taffowl

Guest WearTheFoxHat
The guy was very helpful to be fair but did say that nobody else as far as he knew was having problems with 3g anywhere in the country let alone Sheffield!!

That's the problem I guess ... most users wouldn't bother to phone up. Then the more savvy users who phone up get through to first line support who tell them "It's normal to lose a 3g signal". So unless you are persistent in getting it sorted, these things never get through to 3rd line support.

I got back in touch with T-Mobile yesterday afternoon. They'd asked me to make a note of at least five instances of when and where the problem occurred. I got back in touch with that information and they said that they'd be sending out an engineer to check on the masts in the area and that it might take up to 72 hours before it was sorted (assuming that they actually find the problem).

I was over at my father's in Crosspool at the weekend and the signal strength on 3G was great - HSDPA was flying. Taffowl, what end of Crookes are you?

Guest taffowl
I got back in touch with T-Mobile yesterday afternoon. They'd asked me to make a note of at least five instances of when and where the problem occurred. I got back in touch with that information and they said that they'd be sending out an engineer to check on the masts in the area and that it might take up to 72 hours before it was sorted (assuming that they actually find the problem).

I was over at my father's in Crosspool at the weekend and the signal strength on 3G was great - HSDPA was flying. Taffowl, what end of Crookes are you?

I'm near the top end of Springvale rd just a few streets down from the main crookes rd... not sure where the mast is as I used to get really good HSDPA downloads and get a good 3g signal... i'm still suspecting it is a mast issue.

I'm near the top end of Springvale rd just a few streets down from the main crookes rd... not sure where the mast is as I used to get really good HSDPA downloads and get a good 3g signal... i'm still suspecting it is a mast issue.

My father lives on Lydgate Lane (the Crookes side of the hill) which isn't a million miles away from you but I guess it's far enough to be on a different mast. We'll see if they manage to fix it by the weekend.

Guest ant_thomas

I think we live pretty much round the corner from each other so the problem does seem pretty localised around our area.

I'm sure I don't suffer the same problems when I'm down at Uni so I must be on a different Cell down there.

Guest taffowl

Well T-mobile rang me back last night.. I gave them the extra info regarding the problems and they've now assigned a network engineer to look into the issue within 72 hrs.. i've been given an incident number however i've been asked not to give it to other people.. so I think i'll just wait and see now for the next few days.

Guest taffowl

Just had another phone call from t-mobile and apparently the network engineer has now reset the mast hardware in my area...sadly this has not resolved the problems so they are going to continue to look into the issues....very strange.

Guest mbriody

Not strange at all. There are many threads documenting this well known issue. Try a forum search here or on xda-developers for 3g issues.

Just had another phone call from t-mobile and apparently the network engineer has now reset the mast hardware in my area...sadly this has not resolved the problems so they are going to continue to look into the issues....very strange.