Finally... the Microsoft utility for configuring GPSID on Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :(

P

Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab

Guest nickcornaglia

So for BJ2 users...set to com4?

Q9h users, set to COM1 or COM3.

Not sure if this is on the BJ2...but on the Q9H there is a reg key...

HKLM\Services\LCAService

Change DisplayIcon from 0 to 1 and restart your phone.

There will be a nice little GPS icon in your icon bar that has the following indicators:

GPS = GPS off

Flashing ))) alternating [check] = GPS Active

Flashing ))) alternating [x] = Acquiring Fix

Guest dwboston

HKLM\Services\LCAService

There will be a nice little GPS icon in your icon bar that has the following indicators:

GPS = GPS off

It looks like enabling the GPS icon in the icon bar causes the loss of the "vibrate" icon when the phone is in vibrate mode, at least in the AT&T Q9h.

Also, what are the "correct" settings? I had already installed the COM3 cab previously, do I need to configur anything differently now? Do I need to configure a Hardware COM Port if the Program Port is set to COM3? Thanks.

Edited by dwboston

Guest leslietroyer

First thanks a bunch for the CAB & all the work you guy's have done on the BJII and Q9H in getting the GPS functional. now for some observations...

GPS = GPS off

On my Q9H - the GPS indicator doesn't show on the home page until the GPS has been cycled on at least once (and the vibrate icon still works here) after a power on .... but the gps indicator does show up on other "start" pages.

once you've at least tried to startup the gps - the gps indicator shows on the home page.....

To me the ideal action would be

gps off -- no icon show vibrate if approprate

gps Acquiring Fix -- flashing ))) & [x]

gps has fix -- show "gps"

I assume this is mostly done in the intermediate driver, which probably doesn't know the difference between acquiring fix and have fix....

Guest evan.oliver

HKLM\Services\LCAService

BJII doesn't have this key for those who are interested. It's a shame too because I have the feeling that GPS doesn't turn off once activated (based on battery life). Might have been nice to have a way to tell.

- Evan

Guest thelostsoul

HKLM\Services\LCAService

GPS = GPS off

Doesn't work on BJII. Key doesn't exist, and creating it doesn't do anything.

Guest nickcornaglia
Doesn't work on BJII. Key doesn't exist, and creating it doesn't do anything.

Well that makes sense since the LCAServices app and other keys arent on the phone.

Wasnt sure if the app was a MS app or Moto app. (hidden)Moto app it is.

Guest thelostsoul
The GPS on the BJII does stay on until you power cycle...Don't be suprised to get the infamous "remote party" error after reboot.

Chad

You sure about that? Running GPS Test, acquiring a signal, and closing it seems to turn off the GPS. When I start another GPS application, it still take for ever to get a signal again, so I think it does shut down.

In addition, I tested battery leaving it on, and shutting on off throughout the day, and there was a significant difference.

Unless you're trying to say it goes into a sleep/standby mode?

Also, no remote party errors here.

Guest leslietroyer

Just out driving -- and got a good fix (previously tested at work) and the ))) [x] changed to a

))) [check]

Cool - so all three states are shown.

Guest Monolithix
Er, sorry, the S730 doesn't have GPS? I thought it did.

It has the physical hardware but it isn't supported by HTC, it conveniently doesn't work, either :/

Guest LuvrGirl
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :(

P

Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab

So looking at this screenshot, am I supposed to set both the Program Port and the Hardware Port to COM3 on my AT&T Q9?

Thanks guys!

MaRiA

Guest LuvrGirl
Just out driving -- and got a good fix (previously tested at work) and the ))) [x] changed to a

))) [check]

Cool - so all three states are shown.

If I followed along correctly, all three states are shown but the "Vibrate" icon when you have your profile set to Vibrate doesn't show on the homescreen right?

MaRiA

Guest thelostsoul
can some tell me exactly what the settings are for blackjack 2? please

I set it to COM4, , 19200 and checked the manage automatically. Works fine for me.

Guest nickcornaglia

To answer some of the above statements/questions:

If your BlackJack2 is draining battery quickly after you use GPS....be sure you are using com4. If you use any ther port, such as one used by something else...there will be a conflict and the GPS will not turn off. This is evident on the Q9h when usig Com5. With the GPS icon tweak, using com5, you can see the GPS never turns off once on...showing that you need to find an open com port.

So on the Q9h it's either com1 or com3.

on the BJ2 it is com4

Using the above app...for both phones..set the Program port accordingly and the hardware port to none.

Play with the baud. 38,400 should work for everything. GPS will lower the baud automatically if necessary from what I understand.

Guest LuvrGirl
To answer some of the above statements/questions:

If your BlackJack2 is draining battery quickly after you use GPS....be sure you are using com4. If you use any ther port, such as one used by something else...there will be a conflict and the GPS will not turn off. This is evident on the Q9h when usig Com5. With the GPS icon tweak, using com5, you can see the GPS never turns off once on...showing that you need to find an open com port.

So on the Q9h it's either com1 or com3.

on the BJ2 it is com4

Using the above app...for both phones..set the Program port accordingly and the hardware port to none.

Play with the baud. 38,400 should work for everything. GPS will lower the baud automatically if necessary from what I understand.

So using this app on my Q9h I can choose either COM1 or COM3, cool.

Just one more question though, do I still need to load Paul's GPS Activator CAB for COM3?? And then install this utility app?

MaRiA

Guest nickcornaglia

Nope. No need for the cab. But it does app unlock the phone as well...so it doesnt hurt to install it if you dont know how to do that yourself manually in the registry.

Guest LuvrGirl
Nope. No need for the cab. But it does app unlock the phone as well...so it doesnt hurt to install it if you dont know how to do that yourself manually in the registry.

Oh ok, yeah I did that app unlock thing already, thanks.

[Last question I promise :( ]

Should I still use that GPSTest app to kinda kick start my GPS signal when I know I'm going to be using it soon?

Thanks again!!

MaRiA

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.