Build-in SiRF III GPS receiver for Blackjack II

Guest Wizkid69

Guest thelostsoul

What I've been trying to say is, I don't think the GPS hack is good for the GPS system. I think it conflicts with something, or it doesn't communicate properly when the applications have direct access to it. Either way, I'm running without the hack. I recommend hard reseting until you can get it working, then don't play with it, use it carefully and only with one application at a time. I didn't even bother installing WLS or GMaps this time, only using Garmin....

Unfortunately, that's the best I can say so far...wish I knew more...

I've installed WLS and TomTom with the Modaco fix on my phone. Nothing ever works on COM4. WLS only works when set to GPSID.

However, WLS will only acquire about once every three or four times I use it and takes sometimes 20-30 minutes of tyring to get it to acquire.

This is a problem for me. I realize they say that the GPS is only officially supported by Telenav, but it should acquire no matter what application asks for it. Is anyone using it with Telenav with 100% success? I can't rely on a GPS solution that only works some of the time. Not that I use GPS that often, but I needed it yesterday and by the time I got the GPS to work I has managed to "un-lose" myself.

Guest thelostsoul

Like I said, the hack seems to cause problems. What I found is that it works best without the COM patches. I had to hard reset my device a couple times, and I was able to get the GPS working again, and now I get a signal within 30 seconds all the time. No hacks installed.

I'm using Garmin, but I was able to get WLS working too. So if you're going to use the COM patch, then you're going to have to deal with instability. If not, however, you'll be more likely to have less problems.

There is one, all blackjack IIs have one. By default, it's hidden though. You either need to locate it using ActiveSync's explore on your PC and create a link, or get a new file manager that'll let you show hidden files.

But to help ya out, attached is a zip containing a shortcut to the GPSTest program. Just c/p it to your /windows/start menu folder and you can run it with that.

Thank you! It does in fact exist, but won't show up via ActiveSync even with "show hidden files & folders" enabled and "hide protected system files" disabled. Go figure.

The 2 GPSTest programs (from BJII and Chartcross) discussed earlier are certainly different though.

I have been using the chartcross GPStest for most of my trials....I have now used the BJII hidden GPStestlink.ini shortcut (pasted into the startmenu folder) and can say I am truly impressed. Using direct line of site outside I acquired a signal in roughly 49 seconds (yes I timed it)...set to stand-alone operation..Navigation...cold start (in that order)..I am using the MoDaCo hack on port 4.....Really dont want to set up my phone again after a hard boot but the anticipation of using the GPSID tool with it seems to be overwhelming...I tried using the chartcross GPStest with the intermediate driver and it all failed...never worked...died searching on com port 4 and thenafter a while would pause on com port 4 and then roll to port 9 over and over.

The BJII GPS test worked for me in different location from cold boot in under two minutes line of site (too me this line of site to the sky LOL)...always between 6-8 satellites.

There is definitely nothing wrong with the GPS and according to *thelostsoul* Garmin is the software of choice. It's not free but thats life.

@ thelostsoul

could you please report more about the purchase of garminXT (i.e product type...cost/performance..etc exact setup for use)

so others can navigate garmins site to make a purchase (depending on price I will look into it)...

I had a look but there's no link to an Aussie map at purchase although they definitely produce one...If I look at the checkout

it states NA Map (North America) for the $99.00 (U.S coin) deal. If I try to hook something up for an Aussie deal it works out at

$260+ or something like that but I think it's including a GPS reciver which as everyone knows I dont need...I could just be a total noob using the site but

it seemed somewhat daunting to make the exact right purchase...

*questions

How fast is the map panning (rotation/does it do this?)..does the BJII lag?? When Tom Tom was installed on my old N73 Nokia it would have a half second lag

due to the processor limitations of the phone..or the bluetooth..either way it was mildly annoying. I have gotten used to the speed of my AT&T 8525 with Tom Tom screaming along and never missing a beat (except for the bluetooth pairing sometimes)...Would hope the BJII is up to it.

*off topic* used the calender today for a few appointments in the next coming months..must say it's good...really good. The screen clarity makes me proud to own this device. Beats my AT&T 8525 hands down in screen beauty. I so love this phone. Call clarity is superb on both GSM and 3G..

edited for really poor grammer and spelling (fat fingers and typing to fast)

Edited by Sed8ed

I have been using the chartcross GPStest for most of my trials....I have now used the BJII hidden GPStestlink.ini shortcut (pasted into the startmenu folder) and can say I am truly impressed. Using direct line of site outside I acquired a signal in roughly 49 seconds (yes I timed it)...set to stand-alone operation..Navigation...cold start (in that order)..I am using the MoDaCo hack on port 4.....Really dont want to set up my phone again after a hard boot but the anticipation of using the GPSID tool with it seems to be overwhelming...I tried using the chartcross GPStest with the intermediate driver and it all failed...never worked...died searching on com port 4 and thenafter a while would pause on com port 4 and then roll to port 9 over and over.

The BJII GPS test worked for me in different location from cold boot in under two minutes line of site (too me this line of site to the sky LOL)...always between 6-8 satellites.

There is definitely nothing wrong with the GPS and according to *thelostsoul* Garmin is the software of choice. It's not free but thats life.

@ thelostsoul

could you please report more about the purchase of garminXT (i.e product type...cost/performance..etc exact setup for use)

so others can navigate garmins site to make a purchase (depending on price I will look into it)...

I had a look but there's no link to an Aussie map at purchase although they definitely produce one...If I look at the checkout

it states NA Map (North America) for the $99.00 (U.S coin) deal. If I try to hook something up for an Aussie deal it works out at

$260+ or something like that but I think it's including a GPS reciver which as everyone knows I dont need...I could just be a total noob using the site but

it seemed somewhat daunting to make the exact right purchase...

*questions

How fast is the map panning (rotation/does it do this?)..does the BJII lag?? When Tom Tom was installed on my old N73 Nokia it would have a half second lag

due to the processor limitations of the phone..or the bluetooth..either way it was mildly annoying. I have gotten used to the speed of my AT&T 8525 with Tom Tom screaming along and never missing a beat (except for the bluetooth pairing sometimes)...Would hope the BJII is up to it.

*off topic* used the calender today for a few appointments in the next coming months..must say it's good...really good. The screen clarity makes me proud to own this device. Beats my AT&T 8525 hands down in screen beauty. I so love this phone. Call clarity is superb on both GSM and 3G..

edited for really poor grammer and spelling (fat fingers and typing to fast)

The nice thing about the BJII GPSTest is that it works on COM ports AND with the Intermediate Driver while Chartcross GPSTest only works on COM ports.

I believe to make GPS work nicely on the BJII you have to do the following:

1. Completely Application Unlock your phone (SDA-Unlock, SurrealNetworks AppUnlock, secpolicies)

2. Install GPSID Settings (which effectively controls some GPS hardware settings to work with the Windows Mobile OS) and set your Program Port accordingly to either None (Intermediate Driver) or COM4. Google Maps will adjust automatically to your setting while WLS needs to be manually matched to your GPSID Settings. I assume other GPS programs that require a COM port should be set it to COM4.

3. Depending on your settings use either the BJII GPSTest or Chartcross GPSTest to speed up the satellite connections. Again, if your Program Port GPSID Settings are set to None, Chartcross GPSTest won't work since it needs a COM port to identify the GPS hardware. Both GPS tests should find satellites within 2 minutes.

4. Start Google Maps or WLS and you should be rolling in seconds.

I just tested the speed difference connecting Google Maps (intermediate driver) with and without using BJII GPSTest. Just running Google Maps from a cold start to connecting took me about 2.5 minutes. Using BJII GPSTest to warm up took about 1 minute and Google Maps was instantly connected with the GPSTest program running in the background.

I believe most of the GPS problems are caused by the phones not being fully app unlocked, unless of course it's a hardware problem. AT&T wants us to use TelNav and therefore locked the BJII accordingly.

Edited by sb0611

Guest evan.oliver
I've installed WLS and TomTom with the Modaco fix on my phone. Nothing ever works on COM4. WLS only works when set to GPSID.

However, WLS will only acquire about once every three or four times I use it and takes sometimes 20-30 minutes of tyring to get it to acquire.

This is a problem for me. I realize they say that the GPS is only officially supported by Telenav, but it should acquire no matter what application asks for it. Is anyone using it with Telenav with 100% success? I can't rely on a GPS solution that only works some of the time. Not that I use GPS that often, but I needed it yesterday and by the time I got the GPS to work I has managed to "un-lose" myself.

Telenav doesnt work right either. It will take 5+ minutes to aquire GPS and then come back and say signal weak, try again. *shrug* It's something hardware/driver related for sure.

Telenav doesnt work right either. It will take 5+ minutes to aquire GPS and then come back and say signal weak, try again. *shrug* It's something hardware/driver related for sure.

App unlock your BJII, run the included GPSTest program and see what happens.

GPSID doesnt work for me at all. I have installed it after an APP unlock/Hard Reset three times using the settings described on this site and nothing happens..never connects to anything. GPSID is a complete failure on my BJII. I set it up with program port: 4 ,Hardware Port: None, Baud Rate: 38400 *thelostsoul* reports it should be application set anyway...

If I run GPStest on a fresh Hard boot with Surreal Networks software installed (Unlocker) and GPStest and GPSID (either one including chartcross) nothing ever works. I have never used GMAPS or WLS as I have no data plan.....

With the Modaco hack I get results instantly...works everytime. Always get a lock under 1-2 miuntes (cold boot under 2 mins). I have tried the GPSID setings three times after doing a hard reset with nothing installed except the soft unlock/GPSID/GPStest (bjII) and the chartcross version. Nothing happens...even after 2 hours with line of sight to sky...

I am tired of Hard Resets and getting the unit back together again..(it doesnt take long as I have all the settings saved) but it's still anoying.

I have used the guides on this forum to setup everytime and it works for others so I dont know what is going wrong....I am under the impression GPSID is stuffed for me .

Guest thelostsoul
GPSID doesnt work for me at all. I have installed it after an APP unlock/Hard Reset three times using the settings described on this site and nothing happens..never connects to anything. GPSID is a complete failure on my BJII. I set it up with program port: 4 ,Hardware Port: None, Baud Rate: 38400 *thelostsoul* reports it should be application set anyway...

Did you scroll down and check "Managed automatically"? Before I stopped using those hacks (since they really seem to cause more damage then anything else), I found that I had to check it. If you're not going to check it, baud rate might vary. I was successful for a while with 19200 also.

@ whoever was asking about Garmin Mobile XT: For me, it was a gift, so I didn't have to pay for it, but it can be quite costly:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11413 -- Click "Versions" for the different maps available...sorry, no australia.

But installation, if you purchase the card direct from them, is very easy. just pop in the card, execute the cab, and you're good to go.

Edited by thelostsoul

If I run GPStest on a fresh Hard boot with Surreal Networks software installed (Unlocker) and GPStest and GPSID (either one including chartcross) nothing ever works. I have never used GMAPS or WLS as I have no data plan.....

With the Modaco hack I get results instantly...works everytime. Always get a lock under 1-2 miuntes (cold boot under 2 mins). I have tried the GPSID setings three times after doing a hard reset with nothing installed except the soft unlock/GPSID/GPStest (bjII) and the chartcross version. Nothing happens...even after 2 hours with line of sight to sky...

I am tired of Hard Resets and getting the unit back together again..(it doesnt take long as I have all the settings saved) but it's still anoying.

I have used the guides on this forum to setup everytime and it works for others so I dont know what is going wrong....I am under the impression GPSID is stuffed for me .

Well, it seems not all BJII's are created equal! I would warranty exchange it if I was in your situation. I had 2 red BJII's so far and GPS always worked like a charm. Did you app unlock only with the surrealnetworks appunlock cab. That alone is probably not going to do the trick. I started with the SDA-Appunlock program run from the PC while the phone is active-synced. Soft reset the phone. Then run the surrealnetworks appunlock cab. Soft reset. And finally run secpolicies.cab followed by a third soft reset.

If you have also read that black BJII's seem to have more GPS issues, but who knows!

Good luck!

Well, it seems not all BJII's are created equal! I would warranty exchange it if I was in your situation. I had 2 red BJII's so far and GPS always worked like a charm. Did you app unlock only with the surrealnetworks appunlock cab. That alone is probably not going to do the trick. I started with the SDA-Appunlock program run from the PC while the phone is active-synced. Soft reset the phone. Then run the surrealnetworks appunlock cab. Soft reset. And finally run secpolicies.cab followed by a third soft reset.

If you have also read that black BJII's seem to have more GPS issues, but who knows!

Good luck!

I cant return it..my 7-day return policy is up. I bought from ebay (U.S) and I am in Australia. The phone is not released here but is suitable for all networks...

The GPS runs fine...It just doesnt work with the GPSID.cab. It works perfectly with the Modaco hack so it's not broken. The GPS worked out of the box with the com 4 hack from modaco which is more than I can say for some...many returned theirs because it didnt work with anything...It's far from broken if it's getting a lock in 48 seconds on a cold boot in my backyard.....I normally get no less than 6 sats and easily obtain 9 in view with 8 running...hardly broken. But I totally understand what you are saying....

I have only installed the Surreal Networks App unlock and of course the one with the MoDaCo hack....but I only installed the surreal networks one when installing the GPSID.cab so maybe it's not fully unlocked. Might explain when I installed my REG editor many changes werent having effect (like the home page for I.E..has been changed 4 times and never works) but I am just guessing..

I have never used secpolicies.cab...will have a look around for SDA-unlockAPP and secpolicies..will do a hard reset and try again..

Thanks for the help....Just wish I had some programming skills so I could make a real piece of software for the BJII to take full advantage of configuring the GPS for any application required.

*edited for spelling

Edited by Sed8ed

I cant return it..my 7-day return policy is up. I bought from ebay (U.S) and I am in Australia. The phone is not released here but is suitable for all networks...

The GPS runs fine...It just doesnt work with the GPSID.cab. It works perfectly with the Modaco hack so it's not broken. The GPS worked out of the box with the com 4 hack from modaco which is more than I can say for some...many returned theirs because it didnt work with anything...It's far from broken if it's getting a lock in 48 seconds on a cold boot in my backyard.....I normally get no less than 6 sats and easily obtain 9 in view with 8 running...hardly broken. But I totally understand what you are saying....

I have only installed the Surreal Networks App unlock and of course the one with the MoDaCo hack....but I only installed the surreal networks one when installing the GPSID.cab so maybe it's not fully unlocked. Might explain when I installed my REG editor many changes werent having effect (like the home page for I.E..has been changed 4 times and never works) but I am just guessing..

I have never used secpolicies.cab...will have a look around for SDA-unlockAPP and secpolicies..will do a hard reset and try again..

Thanks for the help....Just wish I had some programming skills so I could make a real piece of software for the BJII to take full advantage of configuring the GPS for any application required.

*edited for spelling

You are welcome!

I have just read at dan.oemfilms.com/mobile (where they cook up a WM6 BJI ROM) that secpolicies.cab is essential.

But here is a ZIP files that includes all the app unlock components I talked about Application_Unlock.zip

You are welcome!

I have just read at dan.oemfilms.com/mobile (where they cook up a WM6 BJI ROM) that secpolicies.cab is essential.

But here is a ZIP files that includes all the app unlock components I talked about Application_Unlock.zip

Woot Woot GPSID works for me!!!! I just hard reset..installed all three of the components from your ZIP (link above) and then installed the GPSID. I then went outside and fired up the BJII-GPStest (not the chartcross one) after cutting and pasting the shortcut into my start-menu folder. I can report a lock in under two minutes to six satellites. Cant believe it. So now it is quite obvious the phone needs to be unlocked properly.

So @thelostsoul

what are the setup options required for GarminXT in order to get the internal GPS seen??? It's probably obvious. But I want to make sure it works when I get a hold of it in the future (apparently it comes with the U.S Map but they have an Australian map for download from a link that requires the serial of your software package as maps are free.or at least the updates are). Does it auto scan..do you need to run the BJII GPStest app first and then fire up GarminXT???

Thanks for this sb0611..your help has been much appreciated. So glad it worked. Confirms my BJII is not broken.

Guest thelostsoul
Woot Woot GPSID works for me!!!! I just hard reset..installed all three of the components from your ZIP (link above) and then installed the GPSID. I then went outside and fired up the BJII-GPStest (not the chartcross one) after cutting and pasting the shortcut into my start-menu folder. I can report a lock in under two minutes to six satellites. Cant believe it. So now it is quite obvious the phone needs to be unlocked properly.

So @thelostsoul

what are the setup options required for GarminXT in order to get the internal GPS seen??? It's probably obvious. But I want to make sure it works when I get a hold of it in the future (apparently it comes with the U.S Map but they have an Australian map for download from a link that requires the serial of your software package as maps are free.or at least the updates are). Does it auto scan..do you need to run the BJII GPStest app first and then fire up GarminXT???

Thanks for this sb0611..your help has been much appreciated. So glad it worked. Confirms my BJII is not broken.

If you get Garmin, I recommend you do not install any other GPS applications. I find that you won't have to worry about GPS Test, just hard reset your device, don't install any of the COM hacks, run Garmin, it'll automatically find the intermediate driver, and should work with almost no effort.

If it doesn't work first time, just go into the GPS device settings in the program, press menu - disable, make sure option 2 is selected (intermediate driver), press menu - enable, then let it search. if still no good, restart the program and it should be fine. But if it's not working, you'll need to hard reset again until it does.

Thanks to thelostsoul,

I will be looking into Garmin (I am going to email them regarding the package I want to see if I can get the Australian Map I need)

I wont install anything bar what I have now....so that i am ready for Garmin. Apparently the new version of Route 66 supports the intermediate driver as well.

I found that my GPSID settings worked with GPStest set to program port: None and Hardware port: None Baud rate: 38400 Manage Automatically ticked.

If i set anything in GPSID other than that GPStest doesnt seem to respond........

Does GPStest (BJII built in) work without GPSID installed??? I have never tested it alone on a hard reset....

I know when GPStest is working..the text flashes mildy (very faint flash as it searches). If the GPS is not initialised the text doesnt flash (screen a refreshing at half second intervals)

If the text flashing doesnt occur in at least 1 minute your GPS is not starting....Could just be me but I have been watching this closely since I started playing with all this.

Thanks to thelostsoul,

I found that my GPSID settings worked with GPStest set to program port: None and Hardware port: None Baud rate: 38400 Manage Automatically ticked.

If i set anything in GPSID other than that GPStest doesnt seem to respond........

Does GPStest (BJII built in) work without GPSID installed??? I have never tested it alone on a hard reset....

I know when GPStest is working..the text flashes mildy (very faint flash as it searches). If the GPS is not initialised the text doesnt flash (screen a refreshing at half second intervals)

If the text flashing doesnt occur in at least 1 minute your GPS is not starting....Could just be me but I have been watching this closely since I started playing with all this.

GPSID defines how the GPS chip cooperates on the OS level. After a hard reset and application unlock I expect GPSTest (BJII) to work without GPSID.

If you change the program port to COM4 with GPSID, GPSTest (BJII) should also function.

Edited by sb0611

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dmsaelee

I tried the unlock zip package posted earlier but the SDA app doesn't want to install. My phone tells me that it isn't a valid Windows CE application. Any ideas?

I tried the unlock zip package posted earlier but the SDA app doesn't want to install. My phone tells me that it isn't a valid Windows CE application. Any ideas?

The SDA app unlock needs to be run from the PC...secpolicies and the Surreal Networks Application Unlock are run on the device.

Guest Wizkid69
The SDA app unlock needs to be run from the PC...secpolicies and the Surreal Networks Application Unlock are run on the device.

Strange things happened to my device... I had it hard reset (reformat) 4-5 times... and I got the GPS working but very slow to pick up (30 mins to 1 hour). It's just not efficient to use BJII with GPS reliably.

So I followed the latest instruction on this post which is unlock the device using Serreal Networks and run GPSTest (BJII build-in)... This got worst... I can't never get my GPS to work at all after unlock the device. I tried to do it twice to unlocked then hard reset and unlock.... now my device won't work with GPS at all.

Any advice?

For Sed8ed: what did you do exactly after SDA unlock, secpolicies and the Surreal Networks Application Unlock?

I reboot my device and run GPSTEst.... I can't get it to work. Any special settings in GPSTest you had to do?

There are three options in there, and I tried with different combinations... :)

Edited by Wizkid69

Strange things happened to my device... I had it hard reset (reformat) 4-5 times... and I got the GPS working but very slow to pick up (30 mins to 1 hour). It's just not efficient to use BJII with GPS reliably.

So I followed the latest instruction on this post which is unlock the device using Serreal Networks and run GPSTest (BJII build-in)... This got worst... I can't never get my GPS to work at all after unlock the device. I tried to do it twice to unlocked then hard reset and unlock.... now my device won't work with GPS at all.

Any advice?

Sorry you are having so many issues. My gps works better on this than on my Motorola q or my blackberry 8310. I dloaded gps is first..then downloaded gps test/ rather than enabling since I had it on my desktop from the q9h and mine works with telenav, google maps and live search.

You might just doublecheck all the settings.

Any advice?

For Sed8ed: what did you do exactly after SDA unlock, secpolicies and the Surreal Networks Application Unlock?

I reboot my device and run GPSTEst.... I can't get it to work. Any special settings in GPSTest you had to do?

There are three options in there, and I tried with different combinations... :)

My GPStest settings are as follows.

Operating type:

Standalone

Session Type:

Nevigation (yes, thats a spelling mistake)

Start Type:

Cold

This is all I used. The GPStest should work without anything installed. My friend and I bought ours together from ebay U.S (we are in Australia). I had my GPS running before he was even using the device. We met up last weekend. He has nothing else installed. I sent him the GPStest shortcut via bluetooth.....it had a sat lock in 2 minutes..standing outside.

The device was not application unlocked yet and had nothing else installed. No hacks...no unlockers. Stock AT&T BlackjackII....

My Garmin XT software fires up in only 2-3 minutes (thats fully running with GPS lock) Sometimes much quicker..(if I am leaving where I just navigated too the sat lock is very fast)....

I am not sure what to tell you. You appear to be running all the right stuff...

I would do the hard reset. Paste the GPStest shortcut into your start menu folder. Install the unlocks one by one and reboot after each one. Dont install any hacks (I.E the MoDaCo or the GPSID). Stand outside and wait. Give the GPS ten minutes to get a lock (ten is an overkill but some have waited this long). The text of GPStest should flash a little (like a flicker)..sorta like a page refresh. This is when the GPS is ON!!! If there's no flicker from the text NO gps is running. You'll have to wait for it to initialise....give it time to work. I know it's frustrating..hang in there.

*EDIT* After having a quick read of some posts further up make sure you dont have the GPSID installed....If you stuff the settings in there it kills GPStest app for me...I have hard reset twice mucking around with the GPSID settings. If you do have it installed I had mine set to:

Program port: None

Hardware port: None

Baud Rate: Highest (whatever the highest setting is)

Manage Automatically. "ticked"

To be honest I dont use it. (GPSID)...Nor the Modaco hack. It got me familiar with the GPS and how it works etc but the GPStest (BJII) built in "IS" the On and Off switch...There's no need for anything else for me.

Everytime I played with the GPSID settings GPStest failed to respond and I had to Hard Reset to get it all working again...something I got tired of quickly. I do believe this is something "thelostsoul" can also

attribute to...I believe he has his set up the same way as once it's working it's a case of leave it alone

Edited by Sed8ed

Guest su6oxone

With my new i617 I was able to connect to 6+ satellites from a cold start (phone off, battery out) in less than 10 seconds in the parking lot of a Walmart. Later, in a different location I tested it from a cold start again and it took about 1-2 minutes. In the city it takes even longer (up to 5 min). So far so good though, this was done with a brand new BJ2 with nothing but MS Live Search installed. I'm going to try with Garmin Mobile XT tomorrow.

Guest Karnivore

Is there any way to boost GPS reception on this phone? I usually get 6-8 satellites to lock on but as I start moving it loses signal every couple of minutes. I realize there is no dedicated GPS antenna per se and there is no port for connecting external GPS antenna. Any ideas?