Build-in SiRF III GPS receiver for Blackjack II

Guest Wizkid69

Guest dogmood
After some personal issues with the GPS and with all that I've been hearing, I've drawn some new conclusions about the GPS and updated my Tips thread with the following:

Thanks!! it works well now!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ratm313

FWIW, here is my experience. I, like many others here have tried all the things that people have suggested. I ended up having to hard reset a few times before gettting it to work.

I appunlocked the phone using the standard three programs. I set up the GPStest shortcut on the start menu. When I open the GPStest under options I set it to "stand-alone", "Nevigation", and "cold start". I would "start" the test and the unit would seem to sit there FOREVER trying to get an acquistion. The key thing to look for is the text in the GPStest program looks like it flickers every so often. This means it is searching. After about 45 minutes or so it would get a lock. Once you get a lock open windows live search or google maps and it will use the gps provided it is setup with the GPS intermediate driver. You don't need that COM4 or GPSID app that everyone talks about!!! Installing those is what led me to have to hard set my phone. If you end up closing GPStest and your map program utilizing it, then the GPS will turn off. You then have to activate it again with the GPStest program. Everytime I did this it took about 45 minutes which makes using the GPS practiacally unusable. I found a shortcut though. As long as I didn't turn the phone off I can set GPStest to "warm start up" and get sat lock very quickly. I still cannot get google maps or windows live search to initialize the gps on their own. I have to use GPStest EVERY time. By utilizing the warm start setting I can get lock on within a minute or two. Note that if you hit the "Done" button in GPStest, the program closes and you will lose your sat lock and have to reopen the program.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shock662
No, the requirement of a jump-start is also another result of a 'damaged' GPS (driver). Good point, forgot to mention that. I've previously had to do the same in order to get my GPS working, but now I no longer use anything to start the GPS. Garmin will sometimes launch and take a little bit to find the GPS unit, but once it does, it gets the signal anyway. The whole thing rarely takes longer than 2 minutes.

No, you're right, it doesn't exactly damage the GPS chip itself, but it seems to damage the GPS, possibly the GPSID, driver. You'll have to excuse my laziness, but it's a lot easier to say damaged gps as opposed to rendered non-functional gps.

Whether it modifies something in the registry, reconfigures the dlls, or whatever, I don't know. But restoring everything using a hard reset restores what is necessary. I suppose it would be possible to make a GPS fix... I might investigate that possibility when I don't have much work to do.

My phone is unlocked to work with any GSM carrier, if I do a hard reset to my phone will it remove the unlock?

Guest Sed8ed
My phone is unlocked to work with any GSM carrier, if I do a hard reset to my phone will it remove the unlock?

No it wont.....mines unlocked same as yours. I have reset mine plenty!! No harm will come!!

Guest FAF_DRAKO

Garmin Mobile XT 2009 North America NT Complete - Repack by Restrected is Hands downs the easiest and best way to install Garmin Mobile XT on your Smartphone or PPC. This comes with everthing you need including a step by step ReadMe on how to install. As you can read from the name it comes with the most up to date maps for North America. I can't stress enough how easy this was to follow and install on my BlackJack II. If you read through the ReadMe file and follow it step by step... you can't fail. Anyone interested in this download PM Me.

By the way, Thank You dtphantom for going out of your way in helping me acquire this download. I will pass on the same help you gave me to others.

By the way... I just downloaded and installed version 42.0.50w update. Let's see how it runs.

http://www8.garmin.com/software/GarminMobi...bile_42050w.exe

Edited by FAF_DRAKO

Guest FAF_DRAKO
By the way... I just downloaded and installed version 42.0.50w update. Let's see how it runs.

http://www8.garmin.com/software/GarminMobi...bile_42050w.exe

Well here's my review so far of the Garmin Mobile XT Update v42.0.52w:

With the new update... I've noticed that the Recalculations of routes takes much longer now than Original Install. This Kinda SUCKS!!!

Also noticed that my GPS now uses some "Intermediate Drivers" instead of COM4. I seem to get more lose of GPS with these Drivers. Even when I manually set it back to COM4... the damn software gives me some crappy Icon on the top left for a bit and then goes back to those damn "Intermediate Drivers". I think I will uninstall my Garmin and Go back to Original Install till they come out with better drivers. Anyone else who's tried the Update experience this as well?

NOTE: I just noticed on another Thread that the COM4 Unlock can interfere with the Intermediate Drivers so I just Uninstalled them. Will try this one more time before I Revert Back to original Drivers with COM4.

Edited by FAF_DRAKO

Guest loweart

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would just drop in and say how impressed I have been with this forum and especially the very helpful people and

useful tips on this thread I have been reading regarding the BJII.

Excuse me if this question has been asked before, as I'm a NOOB at this and I'm eagerly awaiting for my BJII to arrive here

in Oz ( Australia ), but has anyone here had any experience or heard of others who have tried the Tom Tom GPS software

with the BJII ? Interested to know if there are any know issues with it ?

I realise from reading the posts here that the common thread for what seems to be successful is the Garmin NT,

but on first look, it seems difficult ( and expensive ) to purchase this with the Australian maps here. I can probably buy a small

handheld GPS unit for the same money as the GPS software alone !

Keep up the good work guys and I'm looking forward to getting my BJII very soon !

Guest jbone
Hi Everyone,

has anyone here had any experience or heard of others who have tried the Tom Tom GPS software

with the BJII ? Interested to know if there are any know issues with it ?

Hi loweart and welcome to the forums! I love this place too and people are very cool and helpful here.

Read the following thread for Tom Tom information:

http://www.modaco.com/content/samsung-i617...n-blackjack-ii/

I think there is another thread or two here also.

Guest Sed8ed
Well here's my review so far of the Garmin Mobile XT Update v42.0.52w:

With the new update... I've noticed that the Recalculations of routes takes much longer now than Original Install. This Kinda SUCKS!!!

Also noticed that my GPS now uses some "Intermediate Drivers" instead of COM4. I seem to get more lose of GPS with these Drivers. Even when I manually set it back to COM4... the damn software gives me some crappy Icon on the top left for a bit and then goes back to those damn "Intermediate Drivers". I think I will uninstall my Garmin and Go back to Original Install till they come out with better drivers. Anyone else who's tried the Update experience this as well?

NOTE: I just noticed on another Thread that the COM4 Unlock can interfere with the Intermediate Drivers so I just Uninstalled them. Will try this one more time before I Revert Back to original Drivers with COM4.

Hi FAF_DRAKO,

There's never been a need for the com port hack for Garmin XT...some people use it but it just causes issues.

Although the calculating route takes a little while (It was slow to begin with) it's not that bad, I actually get a lock with the intermediate driver in less than two minutes line of sight to the sky....roughly the same in the car. Since this version of Garmin XT it's the most reliable it's ever been!! In fact I have had very little issue apart from installing it since I got my BJII......

Give it another go!! The only thing thats bad about Garmin XT is the map lag....it may be one of two things...the processor in the BJII or the code in Garmin referring the update position of you on the map against the satellite's current data.....the lag is noticeable and something I experienced with my old N73 nokia with a BT GPS unit...despite that unit being flawless with just about anything else it was connected to....

I've played with baud rates and all sorts but the map still pans/scrolls slow as you move along...it's not a big drama as the directions and measurements of distance before a turn are always spot on...It works...but it's not always pretty!! Thing is though if you watch the screen while you are moving (not being the driver LOL) you can see that the map scroll may be fast for roughly two to three movements and then there's one big laggy section and then back to normal.....I've learnt not to be so critical of it now...but it was hard coming from Tom Tom on the AT&T 8525 and all was smooth as glass...

Anyway..hope you fix it.

I think Garmin will get better on the BJII as more people get on board....there's already been a few updates since I got Garmin 20 so here's hoping they will effectively iron out all the wrinkles in the future!!

Guest smahmood2

i finally got all the GPS items to work, and it works like a charm. It already prevented me from getting lost once :D

Guest FAF_DRAKO
Hi FAF_DRAKO,

There's never been a need for the com port hack for Garmin XT...some people use it but it just causes issues.

Although the calculating route takes a little while (It was slow to begin with) it's not that bad, I actually get a lock with the intermediate driver in less than two minutes line of sight to the sky....roughly the same in the car. Since this version of Garmin XT it's the most reliable it's ever been!! In fact I have had very little issue apart from installing it since I got my BJII......

Give it another go!! The only thing thats bad about Garmin XT is the map lag....it may be one of two things...the processor in the BJII or the code in Garmin referring the update position of you on the map against the satellite's current data.....the lag is noticeable and something I experienced with my old N73 nokia with a BT GPS unit...despite that unit being flawless with just about anything else it was connected to....

I've played with baud rates and all sorts but the map still pans/scrolls slow as you move along...it's not a big drama as the directions and measurements of distance before a turn are always spot on...It works...but it's not always pretty!! Thing is though if you watch the screen while you are moving (not being the driver LOL) you can see that the map scroll may be fast for roughly two to three movements and then there's one big laggy section and then back to normal.....I've learnt not to be so critical of it now...but it was hard coming from Tom Tom on the AT&T 8525 and all was smooth as glass...

Anyway..hope you fix it.

I think Garmin will get better on the BJII as more people get on board....there's already been a few updates since I got Garmin 20 so here's hoping they will effectively iron out all the wrinkles in the future!!

Actually, when you install the original GarminMobileXTFullImage_4xxxx you need to use the GPS Unlock since that version of Garmin doesn't come with the Intermediate Drivers. However, if you plan to update from that full install to the current one then you would be correct.

Garmin Mobile XT v42.0.50w Update:

After Uninstalling the GPS Unlock and a Soft Start it seems that the new update works well. If you're running any version of Garmin Mobile XT that already includes the Intermediate Drivers then I advice you to uninstall the GPS Unlock and do a Soft Start. The GPS Unlock COM4 interferes with the Intermediate Drivers even if not selected. I've also read somewhere that having too many Text Messages stored on your phone can cause problems with the GPS Software Calculating and Setting up Routes. Not sure how valid this is but I will test this theory out a bit further later on.

:D

• 1 year later...
GPS Breaking News! Certain Applications Break It!

Yes, that's right. Using certain GPS applications on your Blackjack II will cause the GPS to stop functioning properly, or, in some cases, stop functioning at all. Why? I haven't the slightest clue! But I've tested it, and it's true. Certain applications, for whatever reason, once executed, seem to cause the GPS to stop functioning. The ones that do not cause it to stop functioning result in a slowed GPS load time system-wide. Windows Live Search is my prime example. After a hard reset, I had Garmin capable of obtaining a signal in less than 30 seconds! Then I tried WLS, and it started taking as long as 5 minutes. So I hard reset again, and was back to under 30 seconds! I tried this a couple times (with hard reset in each interval) and it turns out it's true. Now, the ones that cause the GPS to fail have also been tested a couple times. These, once installed, will cause, at a maximum, an inability to obtain a signal using any application.

Tested applications which will likely result in a non-functional GPS unit:

Microsoft GPSID Configuration Utility

Nav4All

Tested applications which will likely result in a damaged GPS unit:

Windows Live Search

UNTESTED applications which MAY result in a damaged GPS unit:

Google Maps

How to solve it?

If you have executed the above applications and have noted that it is taking longer than 2 minutes to obtain a signal outside on a clear day, then you likely have a damaged GPS. If your GPS is not working, then you have a damaged GPS.

THE ONLY SOLUTION IS A HARD RESET

Unfortunately, you'll have to backup and of your precious data, turn off the device, press and hold the UP key, then turn the device on. Once the on-screen instructions appear, release both keys and follow them (1 to continue, y to confirm). ALL DATA WILL BE LOST AND YOUR SYSTEM WILL BE RESTORED TO ITS DEFAULT SETTINGS!

Now I have a list of applications which have not resulted in problems:

Garmin Mobile XT

Modaco GPS Hack (not to be confused with the Microsoft one)

Route66 for Smartphones (NOTE: I couldn't get the navigation to calculate a route, but the GPS does work, and it does not cause problems)

I'm still waiting for AmazeGPS...no idea when, or if, they'll ever get that one out, but I'll test it when it's out and post the results.

If you have any other applications you can confirm do or do not cause problems, post!

HI,

Thanks your post was very informative.....

I need your help currently i am in INDIA and i have Samsung i780.

I want to know how can i use GPS on my phone without using GPRS,3G.........

Is there any way that i can directly connect to the GPS satellite and use the real time service....

Pls help me in this........I look forward for your reply.

Guest jmerc83

I've been fighting my blackjack 2's gps for several months, trying to get it to acquire any type of signal.

I'm pretty sure that there is a major flaw in some of the phones that leads to the GPS getting into a state

where it won't lock on, even if left outside for hours.

Some of you may have noticed that the GPS stops working if you use the microsoft gpsid program,

I found this is usually either "managed automatically" is unchecked or a hardware port was changed.

Recheck managed automatically, leave hardware port to none, and it may work. However changing

the hardware port tells the GPS Intermediate Driver to look for an external gps, so you might have

to change a registry setting

/hklm/system/currentcontrolset/gps intermdiate driver/drivers/samsunggpshardware/InterfaceType

from COMM to PHONE.

When you use the GPS hack or the microsoft GPSID program, all it's doing is telling the GPSID to allow

connections to a comm port, and it translates the data from the GPS to that comm port. Both programs

work the same, and both should still allow programs to connect directly to the GPSID without using a

comm port.

This is good, but my current attempt at fixing my phone is using the SirfTech application to change

settings on the actual sirf chipset. Unfortunately, I believe the GPSID is preventing the program from

writing data to the real GPS hardware, and I have not found a way to bypass the GPSID (even after

turning it off) to connect to the actual sirf chipset. According to the MSDN documentation on the

GPSID, a trusted program should be allowed to write to the real hardware, so if someone knows

how to tell windows that a program is trusted, this option might work.

Once again, I've had absolutely no luck with hard resets, soft resets, leaving the battery out, or any

other trick mentioned to activate my GPS, but I have seen it work twice, and it worked perfectly for about

half an hour each time. Sadly it slowly faded away to 0 satellites.

Guest dsilver.us

In my experience, the problem IS GPSID itself. When I had these port exposer/unlocker hacks installed, I had nothing but trouble. But using apps that can access the intermediate driver (Bing, GPS Utilities), I've had zero problems. Or maybe you've got an app that requires a COM port, so you've gotta use an unlocker?