Windows Live displaying '30 day trial' prompts?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
wlmmessage.png
Mark this as from the 'oh my goodness I really hope they are joking' department, but reports are coming in thick and fast of users being prompted with '30 day trial' message upon signing into Windows Live Messenger.

The message, which unfortunately I didn't manage to screen capture, informs the user that they are starting a 30 day trial period, after which they will be able to buy an additional 30 days access.

Is this happening to you? Is this not happening to you? Let us know (and let us know which network / ROM you are using!)

P

PS Thanks jimbouk for the initial heads up!

Update 1

- Seems to be network and device agnostic
- Also seems to be occuring on Symbian devices
- 3rd party IM clients (e.g. Palringo are unaffected
- Other Windows Live client functionality (mail sync, contact sync) is unaffected

Updates 2 - OFFICIAL MICROSOFT RESPONSE!

Hi folks, Jeff from Microsoft here (any Mobians on the thread will know me from Amsterdam and a few other events) – first of all, sorry for taking so long to get back to you; we needed to do some investigation as Windows Mobile users were not supposed to get that message.

Here’s what happened: This week we rolled out a direct-to-consumer billing service for the Windows Live client on Nokia S60 in the UK and Sweden. Although we are considering doing the same at a future time for Windows Mobile, this has not been implemented – however, something happened and many of you saw a trial message on Windows Mobile devices. Windows Mobile customers shouldn’t have received any notifications of a 30-day trial and we are working as quickly as possible to correct this.

As you may know, we offer Messenger services through mobile operators on lots of handsets, not just Windows Mobile. Traditionally, customers have been billed by their mobile operators for many of these services, either directly or through their data package.

Guest Syphon Filter
Mark this as from the 'oh my goodness I really hope they are joking' department, but reports are coming in thick and fast of users being prompted with '30 day trial' message upon signing into Windows Live Messenger.

The message, which unfortunately I didn't manage to screen capture, informs the user that they are starting a 30 day trial period, after which they will be able to buy an additional 30 days access.

Is this happening to you? Is this not happening to you? Let us know (and let us know which network / ROM you are using!)

P

PS Thanks jimbouk for the initial heads up!

Ok, I just tried it on my TyTN II and I got the prompt.

"Hello! Starting today, your 30 day trial period beings. By selecting OK you acknowledge that your use of Windows Live services continues to be subject to the Terms of Use and Privacy Statement. Data charges from your mobile operator, including..."

I didnt get the full message. My device timed out and the backlight turned off, using the power button to bring back the light must have OK'd the message (not that there was any option other than "OK").

What does this mean? I dont get it :(

I'm on T-Mobile.

ROM: 1.56.405.5

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest tasman
"Hello! Starting today, your 30 day trial period beings. By selecting OK you acknowledge that your use of Windows Live services continues to be subject to the Terms of Use and Privacy Statement. Data charges from your mobile operator, including..."

I didnt get the full message. My device timed out and the backlight turned off, using the power button to bring back the light must have OK'd the message (not that there was any option other than "OK").

ditto on M3100/BlackSatin ROM/T-Mo UK.

Guest tsutton

Ah! That's what it popped up earlier this morning and I didn't get the chance to read it as the backlight went off!

So what does it mean? I guess we'll find out soon enough as soon as Microsoft wakes up over in USA in a few hours time.

T Mobile MDA Vario III.

Edited by tsutton

Guest Syphon Filter

Get the hell out of here?!

We have to starting paying MS to use Windows Live on our WinMo devices? Oh man, that totally sucks.

PS: Excuse the whining kid tone of my post!! But sheesh...this is not cool.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest jimbouk

And there was me thinking that the networks had canned their own IM clients and were happy to run with windows live as they earnt the data income anyway...

(Orange with latest Dutty V3 rom)

Guest tsutton

http://mid.live.com/terms.aspx?__ufps=760231

7.4 Trial Period Offers. You may have received a limited time of free service or some other trial period offer. Unless we notify you otherwise, if you are participating in any trial period offer, you must cancel the service by the end of the trial period to avoid incurring charges. If you do not cancel your service, and we have informed you that the service will automatically be converted into a paid subscription at the end of the trial period, then you authorize us to charge your payment method for the service.

Guest mstephenson

Just confirming I too got this message, and i'm using an S710 on T-Mobile. I really hope this isn't the start of Windows Live turning into a subscription service. The main reason I went with T-Mobiles W'n'W deal was to use Messenger when i'm out and about, i'll be gutted if Microsoft are going to start charging for it, especially as i'm pretty much already paying £5 a month for it (the £12.50 W'n'W which allows Messenger, rather than the £7.50 basic one). Why on earth would Microsoft want to charge for this and not the PC version? Networks I can understand as they could potentialy lose out on revenue, but why Microsoft? Doesn't make sense to me, unless i'm missing something.....

I wonder how much the 30 day subscription will be

Guest Monolithix

Well they don't have my card details so won't be able to start charging automatically :(

Madness though if they do start charging for all versions!

Guest deadphill

expect to see millions of users across the world dump this service if this happens.

Good ol microsoft. One step forwards two steps and a shot in the foot back.......

Guest Syphon Filter

Jesus, this is not good.

They have my windows live id as I am an XBox Live user. This is not good. I need to figure out how to cancel this. Damned if i am going to pay for this!!! (famous last words).

Guest Syphon Filter

I've just logged into

http://billing.microsoft.com/

to look at my services, apparently my XBox Live gold account is the only thing I have. Nothing there about a 30day trial for Windows Live etc.

I wonder whats going on, we need official MS word on this. Someone (Paul?) should put word of this out to some other sites (engadget/gizmodo) and see what kind of experience people are having elsewhere. Just an idea...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.