HTCClassAction - the HTC response

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest deadphill

Personally I believe that the complete lack of support either from the networks and/or the manafacturers is what is stopping the platform show its true potential.

A revamp of the whole os is a good idea but in practice there has not really been any innovation in the past only improvements. Apple have come up with a concept and now seem to be the leader in user friendlyness and everyone else is playing catchup including microsoft.

With the video one thing that has happened on my hermes and now my kaiser is that it keeps slowing down when typing messages to the point that all the formatting goes out of sync. Instead of typing hello how are you, if I do it too fast on the device it comes up something like helloh ow arey ou?

Really annoying that my fingers are too fast for the phone. I can only assume this is something to do with the drivers. Perhaps we could all claim this and send every kaiser back for warranty. That might make them pull their finger out!

Phill

Guest Joshivivek

Honestly Paul is probably not going to jeopardize any relations with HTC, thus he will stick with HTC point of view. He already mentioned that he waited before posting the news article. I am starting to look elsewhere for my mobile news and articles. Looking at site traffic now, one wouldn't be surprised.

Honestly Paul is probably not going to jeopardize any relations with HTC, thus he will stick with HTC point of view. He already mentioned that he waited before posting the news article. I am starting to look elsewhere for my mobile news and articles. Looking at site traffic now, one wouldn't be surprised.

Waiting for both sides of the argument is fair and balanced, surely?

The fact that so many users were (and are) so aggrieved about this in the first place is quite big news - or at least other sites such as The Register, Inquirer, Engadget etc all seemed to think so. It's surprising that Modaco has been so silent on the issue until now, and a little odd if Paul did feel he had to wait for an HTC press release before commenting.

There's a distance between Modaco's attitude to this subject, and that of many amongst the WM community, that's a little unsettling.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Oh for crying out loud, let's not go down this road again.

I posted MY point of view, as I made quite clear.

P

PS FWIW, I don't really HAVE any relations with HTC!

Guest Joshivivek
The fact that so many users were (and are) so aggrieved about this in the first place is quite big news - or at least other sites such as The Register, Inquirer, Engadget etc all seemed to think so. It's surprising that Modaco has been so silent on the issue until now, and a little odd if Paul did feel he had to wait for an HTC press release before commenting.

There's a distance between Modaco's attitude to this subject, and that of many amongst the WM community, that's a little unsettling.

thanks I couldn't have said it better myself.

Guest Joshivivek
Oh for crying out loud, let's not go down this road again.

I posted MY point of view, as I made quite clear.

P

PS FWIW, I don't really HAVE any relations with HTC!

sorry to call you out on this but I firmly believe you are trying to be politically correct. But your argument doesn't stand.

Guest Paul (MVP)
sorry to call you out on this but I firmly believe you are trying to be politically correct. But your argument doesn't stand.

What argument? Feel free to drop me a PM or drop by the modaco group on Palringo if you wish to discuss this further.

P

Guest Chris Bronson

Common stop fighting! HTC fuc*ed up here and must be downgraded. Customers are not paying such money to be humiliated by sub-par video performance. There is plenty of choice on the high street. HTC must keep up if it wants to remain in the game.

Edited by Chris Bronson

Guest Mysterious Stranger

I can think of at least 1 other Kaiser topic where waiting for the other side of the argument was shelved as an afterthought in favour of 'newsworthyness' and getting the story out there..... and they say the web has lowered journalistic standards :)

M.S

Guest kurtfhouse

I can't understand why anyone would defend HTC in this situation :)

A NEW product with IMPROVED specs should outperform PREVIOUS models, and that is exactly what any consumer should expect!

I don't care what the technical reasons are for it, when my Touch Cruise arrives this week I fully expect it to outperform the Artemis that I have just got rid of and certainly the I-Mate Jam I had three years ago and in all areas, why wouldn't I, its an UPGRADE?

Never mind comparisons with cars when I buy any product be it a, car, computer, TV etc.... when I buy a new model with improved specs I would expect it to outperform the old one and at a MINIMUM it should be at least on par.

This is all just common sense stuff really. HTC should just apologise for the oversight and release an upgraded ROM or a patch when its ready, easy really. Why risk losing customers???

The catchphrase in business "the customer is always right" exists because unhappy customers don't buy from you again and they complain about you down the pub to 10 of their mates who then don't buy from you either and before you know it your up the famous creek without a paddle or worse out of business (o.k a bit extreme in this case).

Edited by kurtfhouse

Guest Paul (MVP)
I can think of at least 1 other Kaiser topic where waiting for the other side of the argument was shelved as an afterthought in favour of 'newsworthyness' and getting the story out there..... and they say the web has lowered journalistic standards :)

M.S

Look who it is! :D

So people moan either way. Well, people like to moan :D

P

Guest Chris Bronson
when my Touch Cruise arrives this week I fully expect it to outperform the Artemis that I have just got rid of

Too bad! The Cruise is also equipped with the underused Qualcomm chip. Time to cancel your order.

Guest NuShrike
- The Kaiser and other MSM devices have ATI Imageon in the core chip

- HTC haven't implemented drivers to support this, so it's not used

- HTC feel the overall device experience is acceptable, and as a whole they feel they have a great device

- Some users feel the video performance is not acceptable

Let me break it down a little too. Camera, GPS, video playback, audio fidelity, etc are not primary core functionality of this WM, as I see it. However, phone calling is and should be highly polished and mature (and not without its fair gripes).

Nevertheless, video redrawing isn't even a core function, it's foundational/fundamental on which everything the device uses to communicate with the user and as well as common day-to-day functionality. It may be adequate to "get by" now, but it's disgusting when compared with previous and other non-Qualcomm devices. This is why IMO the non-inflatable, unreplaceable flat-tires analogy is quite accurate.

I feel some of this is also Qualcomm's fault for burning us multiple ways; violating Broadcom's intellectual IP so delaying or destroying the release of Qualcomm based devices, and not having a DirectX M sdk publically available so we have to blame HTC for not paying-for-it/using-it.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest Paul (MVP)

I guess the bottom line is we're all united in wanting snappier devices with quicker UIs and an optimised OS that makes full use of the hardware on the device! It doesn't seem like HTC are going to do anything for the Kaiser, let's hope they do change their mind.

I STILL love my Kaiser anyway... but i'd love it even more if they gave us accelerated video :)

P

Guest Chris Bronson
I feel some of this is also Qualcomm's fault for burning us multiple ways; violating Broadcom's intellectual IP so delaying or destroying the release of Qualcomm based devices, and not having a DirectX M sdk publically available so we have to blame HTC for not paying-for-it/using-it.

Interesting point. Could you be more specific to what extend the IP case impacts HTC and the embedded ATI video acceleration?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'd be inclined to think they're not linked.

It's interesting tho that HTC still seem to be able to ship Qualcomm based devices in the US. What gives?

P

Guest Chris Bronson

The ruling allows Qualcomm to sell selected chips that infringe on Broadcom patents in the US through January 2009. The ruling also prevents Qualcomm from providing tech support or sofware updates for its MSM7200 chip. The court order can be found here.

Edited by Chris Bronson

Guest Beermaker
- The Kaiser and other MSM devices have ATI Imageon in the core chip

- HTC haven't implemented drivers to support this, so it's not used

- HTC feel the overall device experience is acceptable, and as a whole they feel they have a great device

- Some users feel the video performance is not acceptable

I still do not believe the device was mis-sold, I still appreciate that development time has gone into other aspects of the software, I still hope it is improved in later software / hardware revisions but I still think the Kaiser is the best device I own / have ever owned, and am glad I spent my hard-earned on it.

P

The official press release from HTC certainly implies that their devices use these features of the Qualcomm chipset.

And no where did they make a disclaimer that the devices would not use these features. If you promote a product based on claims that you do not make good on, that is illegal. Period.

Guest kurtfhouse
Too bad! The Cruise is also equipped with the underused Qualcomm chip. Time to cancel your order.

I am seriously considering it :)

Ironically I was torn between the Cruise and the Eten X800. I decided to go for the name I thought I could trust from past experience over the VGA screen I have been hankering for :D . I may give Clove a ring and see if they can change my order to the x800 and I'll have £50 spare for an 8gb MicroSD card, and it'll come with a case.

Its a real shame as my previous phones from HTC have always been excellent.

Guest Beermaker
They're saying what the CHIP can handle. It doesn't have an 8MP camera either, but I dodn't see people launching a class action about that?

P

From the HTCClassaction page,

""Some may look at this and say that it states it supports an 8MP camera as well, and this isn't included either. The difference here is that an 8 MP camera is not an integral part of the chipset, while the video hardware most definitely is. Furthermore, the devices' specifications say they come with an X MP camera (so obviously not with an 8 MP camera), but they don't say the devices come without these video capabilities. "