HTCClassAction - the HTC response

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest NuShrike
The ruling allows Qualcomm to sell selected chips that infringe on Broadcom patents in the US through January 2009. The ruling also prevents Qualcomm from providing tech support or sofware updates for its MSM7200 chip. The court order can be found here.
Exactly my point. I think we would all be much happier if HTC stuck with the aging XScale, Samsung, TI omap chips instead of trouble-attracting Qualcomm.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. <_<

Edited by NuShrike

Guest xorangefirex

I love my kaiser, but (and mind you I don't even know if getting what they are upset about would fix this) I would lvoe for the OS to be more snappy and responsive. I would really love to change my screen orientation and not have to wait for 5-6 seconds to touch the screen. Also, I wouldn't mind some better video output.

The bottom line is that HTC have cut corners on these devices, and now its coming back to haunt them. Their rubbish response to the situation will do them no favours in the long run.

The Reg have just published their second article btw - http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/24/ht...ction_response/

It's worth bearing in mind that as large as HTC are, their brand is still quite new to the public eye, and it's a brand that is now being quite badly tarnished. By pissing off everyone at XDA Developers (where concern about this whole issue first crystallised) they've effectively shat upon some of their brand's most ardent ambassadors, and they will certainly pay a price for that.

Guest kurtfhouse
Too bad! The Cruise is also equipped with the underused Qualcomm chip. Time to cancel your order.

After careful consideration, my order for the Cruise has now been cancelled and my Eten Glofiish X800 should arrive either Saturday or Monday.

I will definitely want to watch video's on my device and decided it wasn't worth the risk of wasting nearly £400 of my hard earned cash on a buggy Touch Cruise.

I am pretty sure some sort of fix will be released by HTC but don't want to chance it, these devices aren't cheap!

After careful consideration, my order for the Cruise has now been cancelled and my Eten Glofiish X800 should arrive either Saturday or Monday.

:) you can't understand what have you done !!! I've had the x800 and its really a crap and have polaris that is the best pda/pe i never owned

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

Not sure if this has already been spotted and linked to, but it is official. HTC will not be providing accelerated video support in current devices, you will have to spend extra cash on a new device to get what you thought you were getting with their latest models :)

http://www.htc.com/press_room/03-press-4-2008-0122.htm

It seems HTC have taken legal advice and state they have no class action lawsuit liability. The statement seems to have been written not to give it's customers an apology or information, but to stop their investors off loading shares!

In the UK we had the famous "Ratners" jewelers that through one mis-placed statement ruined the company, and this was before the internet! HTC have probably just done the same thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ratner Essentially HTC are admitting that their current expensive devices are very expensive "crap" to quote the famous Mr Ratner.

How they can get away with promoting the Qualcomm chips in their specifications knowing people would Google it and see Qualcomm wax lyrical about all the chips cool features only for HTC to not include them.

Regards

Phil

Guest kurtfhouse
:D you can't understand what have you done !!! I've had the x800 and its really a crap and have polaris that is the best pda/pe i never owned

Well I'll see what its like,if I don't like it I'll stick it on ebay and get something else :)

The reviews I have read all seem pretty good, and I have checked the size comparisons which was another worry and there is nothing in it so decided to go for it.

If the situation with the drivers is sorted I may get a Cruise in a few months, I don't need much pushing to swap my phone, If I had the money I'd have a new one every month :D . I haven't written HTC off but all the recent talk has made me nervous about buying one of the current new models.

@Paul

What is it you don't like about the X800? I did check MoDaCo for a review but couldn't find much on it, just links to other sites. I'd certainly be interested in your opinion.

Guest Ghost_1

I know this is going to end up as a IMHO, so sorry in advance. :)

I'm in the US and I paid a little under $1k US to get this device right when it came out. I was looking for a replacement for my I-mate Jam, I had bought a tmobile dash earlier in the year and was fustrated without a touchscreen. After reading the problems with ETEN and T-mobile, Learning that most G-smart phones were 900mhz not the us 850mhz, and the rest of the available phones looking like poop. I bit the bullet.

I paid three times what I did for both my I-mate Jam and Dash combined, I expected a better device. All the advertisments I saw touted better performance due to a better chipset. . . blah blah blah. I cannot tell you how sore I was when I received my first phone call. I use my phone for just about everything from playing music and surfing the web, and yes even as a phone. My I-mate Jam outperforms the TYTNII in everyway minus the RAM/ROM.

This class action suit is more or less people like myself who laid out a whole lot of money for soemthing they thought was going to be the "end all" phone. Every major blog site blew the TYTNII up to huge proportions. What we got was a little less then that. Don't get me wrong I haven't used my Jam for anything but an alarmclock since I got my TYTNII, but I still switch back to my Dash now and then because I get so fustrated when I receive a phone call while I"m doing something else. The phone slows down so much I'm better off wrapping duct tape around both my home phone and my old commodore 64. lol J/K but it does get annoying missing calls because the phone slows to a crawl. I know I"m rambling now but I just wanted to let my fustrations out. Mainly due to the fact that I am in the US even if this issue does get resolved somehow, I might not ever get the "official" fix. . . lol

Sorry everyone.

Guest timeline

I duno. that video seems to show my 4yr old ipaq 4150 (underclocked to 268mhz) runs tomtom 6 more smoothly than a tytnIIat 400mhz? I'm sure my ppc2003 has no video accel.

Something is seriously wrong if that's the case.

Guest timeline

Actually, does anyone have benchmarks of the TYTNII vs other htc stuff like even the old Touch?

If the cruise isn't going to the end-all then I may as well just get the plain Touch. I don't use 3G and the TYTN II already had battery issues, now it can't even tomtom well why would I want it? Extra ram for programs I can't run smoothly?

Guest ScrewlooseAZ

I do love my Kaiser. It works great for most everything I use it for. I just wish I could get some decent video performance out of it. And I too bought mine in the US for a high price.

Guest bydandie
Actually, does anyone have benchmarks of the TYTNII vs other htc stuff like even the old Touch?

If the cruise isn't going to the end-all then I may as well just get the plain Touch. I don't use 3G and the TYTN II already had battery issues, now it can't even tomtom well why would I want it? Extra ram for programs I can't run smoothly?

Do you mean like this? :)

Guest NuShrike
X800 vs Cruise? I know what i'd have in an instant (and it's not the X800 i'm afraid)...
So what's wrong with the X800 besides the crippling tiny amount of ram? I thought WM6 reduced memory needs? If it wasn't for this (and lack of keyboard), I would've been on the x800 for the sweet SiRFIII and VGA action instead of the Kaiser past October.

Paul, that video of the X800 you took makes the display look really snappy: http://www.modaco.com/content/Pocket-PC-Pr...d-M800-devices/

Edited by NuShrike

Guest Paul (MVP)

The SiRF III and VGA are nice, the camera is shockingly poor is probably my main complain aside from the too-soft plastic on the battery door.

No touchflo or nice software keyboards of course either. I dunno, it's not a bad device!

P

The SiRF III and VGA are nice, the camera is shockingly poor is probably my main complain aside from the too-soft plastic on the battery door.

No touchflo or nice software keyboards of course either. I dunno, it's not a bad device!

P

yes , it's not a bad device , its' simply a crap :)

Guest NuShrike

Too bad you didn't get a chance to compare general usage speeds such as CamerAware, scrolling in PIE/Programs/Settings, video watching, etc... :)

Guest blackout
I'm guessing this is related to my Advantage having worse video playback performance than my old Axim X30 as well...

technically, no. or at least it shouldn't. the advantage actually has, and uses!, video acceleration according to HTC.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to spend a weekend or two converting all my videos to a lower bitrate. Too bad WMP can't do it automatically like it's supposed to without erroring out halfway through the second vid every time.

Guest Neil5459
technically, no. or at least it shouldn't. the advantage actually has, and uses!, video acceleration according to HTC.

This is OT, and has been covered at length elsewhere, but the Advantage doesn't have hardware video acceleration, though it does have the Imageon chip. Its been the subject of a previous petition, but same response from HTC blaming ATI for not releasing the required tehical parameters to use the hardware.

I can affirm that the video performance of the Advantage is pants unless you code everything to around 480*320 or less.

Meantime, here's a well-known example of something not "par" when compared to the older HTC Magician:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJWAu6IRe4 . There's very little reason the Qualcomm MSM7200 cannot out compete the PXA cpu in screen redraw/refresh here.

Thta comparison is absolutley hogwash on several counts, not least because it is comparing two compelety different OS's and hardware architectures. TomTom could probably run faster than both on a 3GHz desktop PC WM emulator. So what. It doesn't support any arguments over the Kaiser peformance. Anybody who has owned a 400MHz WM2003SE device will know that it was snappier than the WM5 sucessors, because programs loaded from fast SDRAM instead of the much slower flash. That's the price we paid for not losing all our data when the batteries went flat.

As for HTC being somehow negligent by not enabling accelerated graphics across the board, ask any owners of recent PPCs that have embedded GoForce 5500 GPUs how many core applications take best advantage of it. From what I've seen in the XDA Flame and Toshiba G900 forums, unless you're playing specifically coded games, that would be a big fat zero then?

Edited by Metoo