How To: Upgrade Asian Graphite to WM6

Guest nanodemon

Guest ronny
To everyone having problems with AutoConfig and GPRS/MMS/WAP etc. settings - I've found a way of uploading those XML files found in the Network folder from the extended ROM without needing AutoConfig at all! Here are the instructions:

1. Download RapiConfig.exe - it's one of the WM2003SE SDK tools from Microsoft. You can get it from its official site via the SDK package, or here at http://www.airfagev.com/utilities%5Crapiconfig.zip.

2. Extract rapiconfig.exe to a convenient folder and open a command prompt in that folder.

3. Copy your operator XML file from the 'Network' folder to that location.

4. Connect your phone, and then type in the command prompt:

rapiconfig /P

5. If successful, the program should let you know that.

With that, I've finally got my MMS working perfectly for Telstra. :D

thanks for sharing the procedure Bro. that worked. :(

Guest silcruz

ola... need help!!!

i using method 2.my graphite updating still too long and i can do anything....

what i must doing????

plzz helpppp.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Amie Jharonx

is it take a very long time at upgrade process? or there is no "finish" button on it (just remove the cable)? or is it an error on it? help !! my graphite takes 1 day long on the process.... I don't wanna take any risky for removing USB cable before I see the "Finish" button..... help me please............

Guest ronny
is it take a very long time at upgrade process? or there is no "finish" button on it (just remove the cable)? or is it an error on it? help !! my graphite takes 1 day long on the process.... I don't wanna take any risky for removing USB cable before I see the "Finish" button..... help me please............

your graphite should reboot automatically after it finish upgrading.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alexyie
To everyone having problems with AutoConfig and GPRS/MMS/WAP etc. settings - I've found a way of uploading those XML files found in the Network folder from the extended ROM without needing AutoConfig at all! Here are the instructions:

1. Download RapiConfig.exe - it's one of the WM2003SE SDK tools from Microsoft. You can get it from its official site via the SDK package, or here at http://www.airfagev.com/utilities%5Crapiconfig.zip.

2. Extract rapiconfig.exe to a convenient folder and open a command prompt in that folder.

rapiconfig /P

I can't download the extended rom as I cannot access rapidshare, can anyone help me to copy out those xml files for me and send to bramx2001[at]yahoo[dot]com? btw, i need xml files for all indonesia + singapore network operator. thx in advance

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alexyie

I have successfully update my Graphite to WM6 using this UK ROM

but no codewallet, jeyo sms backup, and still has clearvue office suite which is useless :D

Edit:

I'm using method number 1

Edited by alexyie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Stich

rapiconfig /P

Thanks for taking the time to write the above information but I'm new to all this and just can't quite follow you. I just want to be able to do an auto update for vodafone in the AU region for 3g. If I go to bands on my graphite, it doesn't mention 3G anywhere as this is a UK rom. Will a correct auto config fix all this. I have the vofafone XML file from the rapidshare link on the first page which contains the data (I'm guessing). How do I get this information into the phone. I've searched for over 2 hrs but can't find where to put the XML files. I tried to install the CABS and they installed but I cannot run the program after as it is missing files.

Could someone please help me?

Have said all that my data connection is working but I don't know if its 3g or not as the info about the bands is putting me off.

Thanks so much for anyone that is able to help!

Stich

Guest alexyie
Thanks for taking the time to write the above information but I'm new to all this and just can't quite follow you. I just want to be able to do an auto update for vodafone in the AU region for 3g. If I go to bands on my graphite, it doesn't mention 3G anywhere as this is a UK rom. Will a correct auto config fix all this. I have the vofafone XML file from the rapidshare link on the first page which contains the data (I'm guessing). How do I get this information into the phone. I've searched for over 2 hrs but can't find where to put the XML files. I tried to install the CABS and they installed but I cannot run the program after as it is missing files.

Could someone please help me?

Have said all that my data connection is working but I don't know if its 3g or not as the info about the bands is putting me off.

Thanks so much for anyone that is able to help!

Stich

If I'm not wrong, you're asking how to identify whether you got 3G or not?

In Settings -> More -> Band Selection, there's 3 options there

1. GSM Only or Dual Mode, it contains "GSM Only", "WCDMA Only" (this is 3G), and "Dual Mode"

2. Start In, it contains "UMTS" (this is 3G) and "GSM"

3. Start search band -> this one I dont understand myself

If in options #1 you choose either WCDMA or Dual Mode, you'll be able to see "3G" sign in your homescreen (along with battery status & network signal status)

If you see "3G" means you're in 3G network and should be able to use video call etc

• 1 month later...
Guest obingkong

same here... i just updated my graphite to WM6, but too late i found out the autoconfig, o2menu and Jeyo SMS backup are not included in the ROM.

now is there anyone out there kind enough to teach us a way to downgrade my graphite back to it's former version?

kindly teach us how, oh great one...

Guest mad_a_22
same here... i just updated my graphite to WM6, but too late i found out the autoconfig, o2menu and Jeyo SMS backup are not included in the ROM.

now is there anyone out there kind enough to teach us a way to downgrade my graphite back to it's former version?

kindly teach us how, oh great one...

any update on auto config?

the easiest way?

• 1 month later...
Guest trulyrule
  1. If you try run the exe now, if will get further but it will still tell you that your phones default language is buggered. So to get around this we must change you phones registry settings to UK settings. So run the mobile registry editor, and browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEnls. You'll see a few keys here, and the 2 we are interested are DefaultLCID and SystemLCID. Double click both these and change the values to 2057 which is the localisation ID for UK, and close the reg editor.

hey bro, thanks for the tutorial..

btw i have a problem with this step 4.. i dont have DefaultLCID and SystemLCID on my HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEnls...

there's only Default

can u help me with this?? ;)

• 7 months later...
Guest pratik
Hi All! Long time reader, first time poster - because I figured a lot of people would probably be interested in how to do this.

First up, let me start with a disclaimer : DONT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Rom upgrades are always risky, and doing stuff like this can result in broken phones. If your not comfortable with hacking stuff and trying risky stuff on your expensive mobile, just leave it alone.

If you do brick your phone, don't come crying to me. I'll laugh at you, possibly point and laugh, depends how i'm feeling at the time. - you do this at your own risk, as did I.

Now, before we start hacking at stuff, download these free tools, yes just do it now, you'll need them soon. <_<

- The official UK O2 Rom Upgrade - it's been posted around a bit here's another link.

- Active Sync 4.5

- ResHacker - We'll be using this one to modify the UK Rom Upgrade so it works on an asian graphite.

- Mobile Registry Editor - We'll need this to modify the Graphites registry, so we can pass the region region checks.

- This also the Microsoft's .Net framework installed to run. If you don't want to use this tool, use your favourite smartphone registry editor.

Right here we go, i'll give 2 methods of upgrading, the first is the easiest, and uses the upgarde tool to do the upgrade, the 2nd is using a microSD card and loading the new rom via the phone's bootloader.

Note: after doing this you'll have WM6 installed, but as its a UK rom you'll have all the UK O2 grps settings and crap installed. Write down your settings now so that you can remember them after the install and fix them up. Also, I reccommend using a backup tool like Jeyo's smartphone backup tool to backup your contacts/numbers/sms's and what not.

Make sure your phone is full charged before doing this! YES FULLY CHARGED, not 50% not even 75%: FULL.

Method 1 - Modifying the Upgrader

1. Unzip the UK O2 Rom package, open ResHacker, and Open the Graphite_Upgrade_utility_V3.4.0.exe in Reshacker.
  2. Now we need to modify the part of the package which is responsible for telling you that the phone you plugged in is not an XDA Graphite. And its actually correct, as the device name for Asian graphites is something like "O2 Graphite" not "XDA Graphite" which is what the installer is expecting. SO - Expand the node in the tree on the left that says "String Table" and then expand the node "3". Click the "1033" node, and you'll get some text displayed on the right. Look for a like that says: 34, "Xda Graphite" and chang it to your device's name so it looks like this: "34, "O2 Graphite".
  3. Click File -> Save As and save the updated package as something like UpdatedInstaller.exe.
  4. If you try run the exe now, if will get further but it will still tell you that your phones default language is buggered. So to get around this we must change you phones registry settings to UK settings. So run the mobile registry editor, and browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEnls. You'll see a few keys here, and the 2 we are interested are DefaultLCID and SystemLCID. Double click both these and change the values to 2057 which is the localisation ID for UK, and close the reg editor.
  5. NOW run the UpdatedInstaller.exe, and it should take quite some time, but when its done, you should have WM6 running. If you like doing things the hard way or it doesn't work for you, continue on to Method 2.
Method 2 - BootLoading
  1. You'll need a microSD card for this method, i used a 2gb sandisk card.
  2. Follow steps 1 to 4 from method 1 - you still need to modify the reg settings and update the exe.
  3. Open the modified exe in reshacker (not the original the one we modified).
  4. highlight the BIN folder, right click and select "Save [bIN] resources", pick a file name like BinaryOutput or something, it doesn't matter.
  5. Close reshacker, and go to the directory you extracted all the files to, there'll be quite a few but we only are interested in 2, the 2 big ones. Delete all of them except the 67,483kB and the one and the 1027kb one.
  6. Rename the big file (65mb or so) to Jupiter.abi and the smaller (1mb or so) file to Jupiter_SPBL.abi. These must be named exactly as shown including capitalisation.
  7. Copy these 2 files to your microSD card, either using a card reader or through active sync. Make sure they are the only things on that card. No other files/directories or anything just those 2 files in the root. This may not matter, but i'm not willing to take the chance.
  8. Put the card into your phone, and switch it on in bootloader mode: Hold the power On Button and the Joystick down at the same time.
  9. The phone will load up and you'll see the red bar count up followed by the green bar like a LOT of times, but eventually WM6 will be installed and the phone will start it up.
Phew, well that took a while to type in, but I hope it helps people out with the upgrade. I searched around a lot for info and couldn't find any.

If you now have a brick, sorry, but this is the exact method I followed, and it worked for me.

Good luck!

(Edited Method 2 - I had the file names the wrong way round)

Dear Nanodemon,

I tried as u said, but my xda dnt upgrade. By first method it says FAILED TO UPDATE, PROGRAM WILL CLOSE AUTOMATICALLY, and in second method it keeps showing downloading screen and without any progress nd updating.

Please help me. If you can tell me what to do to upgrade my xda graphite that will be a favour.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Guest pratik

Hello friends, whoever wants to upgrade his/her graphite, instead of trying the above method can try this -

Open notepad, dont write anything,and save the empty file as DeviceSpy.txt, now close note pad.

now go to the saved text file and rename it as DeviceSpy.exe, and make it READ ONLY.

Again make sure of making the file read only, and copy it to /windows folder of graphite.

Now you can use any version of Graphite rom on it, may it be asian, uk or chinese, etc

• 1 month later...