Kaiser reminds me of appointments an hour early

Guest Stuart_f

Guest Stuart_f

My Tytn II has suddenly started reminding me of appointments 1h 15 mins beforehand when it is set to remind me only 15 mins before. I initially thought it might be to do with the time zone but since I'm GMT+2 I doubt it.

Soft resets don't help the problem and I'm loath to try a hard reset until I've exhausted other options.

Please help! If I don't fix it soon Mrs F has threatened to launch "that infernal device" out the bedroom window the next time it reminds me of an appointment at 5.30am

Edited by Stuart_f

Guest Stuart_f

Thanks for that, they are both GMT+2. :)

With some further investigation it only does the "hour early reminder" on some appointments. All I can imagine is that they have become corrupt somehow. I'll try removing all the occurances of the appointments that get early reminders and re-add them and see if it goes back to the same behaviour.

Guest jimbouk

If you think your reminders have become corrupted, you can clean up the notifications queue with resco and other similarly powerful device explorers... but if you do, be careful you dont muck it all up.

With some further investigation it only does the "hour early reminder" on some appointments.

one idea... Can it be appointments you don't own. ie appointments sent by another person by email?

Guest Stuart_f

No appointments by email on my device but a damn good idea.! I would hope it converts the time zones when it syncs... I'll have to try that sometime.

I'm off to go and read up on Resco, thanks for that tip. The problem has been avoided for now by turning reminders off on my 0630 appointments and using the alarm to wake me up instead. Not ideal but it works, I'd rather have it fixed properly.

Guest Stuart_f

Used Pocket Mechanic Professional to clean the notification queue. Helpfully the company are nice enough to allow a free trial so I've given it a go and see if it cures the problem. It found 9 duplicate entries and 1 expired entry, not sure if that's good or bad but it "fixed" then so lets hope for the best.

If you think your reminders have become corrupted, you can clean up the notifications queue with resco and other similarly powerful device explorers... but if you do, be careful you dont muck it all up.

So, if you were going to clean up your notification queue, what would you do to fix it, and what wouldn't you do to avoid messing it up

Guest Stuart_f
So, if you were going to clean up your notification queue, what would you do to fix it, and what wouldn't you do to avoid messing it up

I'm not sure how to avoid "messing it up" but cleaning the notification queue didn't fix the problem, at least not for me. I still get some (not all) reminders an hour early. This is very weird. :)

Guest Snooginsguy
I'm not sure how to avoid "messing it up" but cleaning the notification queue didn't fix the problem, at least not for me. I still get some (not all) reminders an hour early. This is very weird. :)

Not sure if it's of any use, as I have a Tilt that was doing the same thing, and it had to do with the automatic time zone check box being checked. For whatever reason, my Tilt got on a different time zone setting than my PC, and it changed all of the appointments on the phone to be an hour behind, even though they were right on the PC, and the time on both was the same. I had to do a hard reset, then did a sprite backup restore of everything but my personal databases, unchecked the automatic time zones checkbox, and synced with the computer. Then all my appointments etc. came on at the correct time.

Guest Stuart_f

Thanks Snooginsguy. I think it's more a time zone issue than a notification problem. I can run something like WiFiFoFum and it'll happily tell me that the access point I'm sitting next to was last seen at 15:33 when the time in the menu bar says 16:33 (I'm GMT+2 so 2 hours out could be explainable, 1 hour out is a mystery). Similarly some texts that I receive show as an hour behind the actual phone's displayed time even though the text received 30 seconds before had the right timestamp!

I think a backup and hard reset is the way forward. I'll keep you posted if it cures it this time.

Guest Stuart_f

Problem solved (I think). Thanks for all the ideas but I finally traced the problem to QuickGPS. Apparently there's a known bug in QuickGPS that it sets the Kaiser's timezone to GMT+1 when it downloads data. I had it set to download data whenever activesync was connected so everytime I plugged it in it screwed up my appointments. The fix is just to use the options within QuickGPS to disable data downloads.

Edit to add: you need to soft reset afterwards to fix the clock.

More on this issue here and here

Edited by Stuart_f

Guest Stuart_f

Looks like I spoke too soon. The QuickGPS fix certainly helped but as I sit here in Larnaca airport with a 5 hour delay and nothing better to do than investigate the problem I notice that once again the internal time is an hour out.

One fringe benefit is that my testing app of choice WiFiFoFum has found me an unsecured access point in departures. (Between gate 3 and 4, just next to the cleaners cupcoard) handily its also next to the only accessible power socket in the place.

I'm still looking for inspiration on this one. When I return from holiday I think I'll try a fresh start with a 6.1 rom and see if that does it too.

Guest Stuart_f

At risk of this turning into Stuart's blog I found another application that was changing the clock. Destinator 6 has time settings hidden deep within the menu system. I've disabled it and since then *touch wood* the clock hasn't jumped an hour out.

Loks like it was a combination of these two aps that were causing it. I'll keep an eye out for any others I find.

Guest Stuart_f

Failure! Utter, dismal, failure! :D

This morning my Tytn II decided that I really really didn't want to miss my plane and woke me up at 0430 for a 0630 reminder. I've given up. It's getting a rom flash and if it still does it it's going back to HTC for repair.