Just picked up a cheap qtek 8500

Guest unclelimey

Guest rameses
USB doesn't supply a lot of power - there are times when Mains charging is desirable.

I'm sure I'll be able to get on from fleabay for a few quid if I really need one.

Now - just got to try and fix the C500 :D but that's a different topic altogether.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
My replacement is due tomorrow morning - I hope it comes with a UK plug!

As I thought the smartflip does indeed come with an EU mains adapter. I thought this was *technically* against the law in this country but there ya go... some of expansys' wording on their terms makes me think they don't really know much about the law but anyway.. ( 10 day warranty on grade b stock anyone? Exemption from distance selling regs for grade b stock as it's 'second hand'? etc etc etc)

Being a former qtek 8500 owner I can confirm the USB sync cable will charge the unit from a USB mains adapter or car ciggie lighter adapter. Knowing how poor battery life is on these things, I also previously invested in the battery pack with 'bump' but it looks massively overpriced now compared to the phone itself! Can't remember which drawer it went into when my old 8500 died.

P.S the smartflips come with a leather-like case...the qtek's don't.

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest jimbouk
Unfortunatly the connector on the phone isn't a standard Mini USB :D

No but the other end is a standard USB, so you can use that to charge with a USB MAins plug (such as an Ipod charger).

I didnt buy it from a B grade stock - simply from special offers.

Guest rameses
No but the other end is a standard USB, so you can use that to charge with a USB MAins plug (such as an Ipod charger).

I didnt buy it from a B grade stock - simply from special offers.

Only problem I have is my iPod charger is firewire. :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

Everyone with 'allow admin mails' checked in their profile is about to get a MoDaCo newsletter with 10 quid off a 25 quid spend, bringing the Smartflip to under 50 quid. Now THAT'S cheap!

P

Guest rameses
Everyone with 'allow admin mails' checked in their profile is about to get a MoDaCo newsletter with 10 quid off a 25 quid spend, bringing the Smartflip to under 50 quid. Now THAT'S cheap!

P

Bugger!! :D Should have waited another day.

Though I did get a £10 voucher with the phone anyway so there might be some more purchases going Expansys way soon.

Guest micaels

P

Will the coupon work in the swedish expansys store aswell?

Guest jimbouk

So Expansys delivered the replacement Smartflip (for my 8500 that had no sound from the internal speaker) at 3.55pm - by 4.30pm its flashed with WM6 and syncing ota with my exchange server... and feeling very small in my pocket!

Guest mcwarre
So Expansys delivered the replacement Smartflip (for my 8500 that had no sound from the internal speaker) at 3.55pm - by 4.30pm its flashed with WM6 and syncing ota with my exchange server... and feeling very small in my pocket!

Jimbouk

I followed the directions on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=292068 but when I run pdocread.exe all I get is a cmd line flash up and it asked to install on my device. Did it but got no idea of the uniqueid so I can't go further. HELP!!!

Guest Confucious

Never thought of that - my excuse is that my iPod came with an american charger so I never used it - I'm not really thick....

Please - not too many replies to the contrary.....

Guest jimbouk
Jimbouk

I followed the directions on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=292068 but when I run pdocread.exe all I get is a cmd line flash up and it asked to install on my device. Did it but got no idea of the uniqueid so I can't go further. HELP!!!

I would guess that you haven't changed the reg keys that you need to for it to successfully app unlock.

You need to do this bit

Then the rest is in the readme for the WM6 rom (the clean version is the one I used)

(run SSA_Applicationunlock, then copy across the spl/jumspl files to the device and then run spl and then run the ruu updater)

Guest jimbouk
Never thought of that - my excuse is that my iPod came with an american charger so I never used it - I'm not really thick....

Please - not too many replies to the contrary.....

Lovely weather for the time of year.

Guest Confucious
Jimbouk

You have to run it from a cmd prompt then it returns your unique ID (provided, of course, that you are running the old version and not the new one that won't run without arguments....)

Guest jimbouk

Oh yeah - that bit too ^^^^^^^^^

(Although I didnt need to run pdocread on either the qtek or the smartflip - after running SDApplicationunlock, I was able to install spl and then flash the rom)

Guest mcwarre

Tried all that. Gave up :D

I have an old version of TT5 for SP. Can't get it to run (installs ok) but when run for first time it goes into setup and selects labguage but he says 'incompatible with your device'. Anyone having any luck???

Guest Confucious
Oh yeah - that bit too ^^^^^^^^^

(Although I didnt need to run pdocread on either the qtek or the smartflip - after running SDApplicationunlock, I was able to install spl and then flash the rom)

Interesting - SDApplicationunlock didn't work on my qtek (maybe it's because it's pink) so I had to do the full works - and had to ask many questions before I got it right....

Guest Confucious
Tried all that. Gave up :(

I have an old version of TT5 for SP. Can't get it to run (installs ok) but when run for first time it goes into setup and selects labguage but he says 'incompatible with your device'. Anyone having any luck???

Are you using itsutl050628.zip? the later version doesn't work.

no idea about TT - dump it and get CP7 :D

Guest rameses
Tried all that. Gave up :D

I got the same error as you. Not that that's any help though.

Guest jimbouk
Interesting - SDApplicationunlock didn't work on my qtek (maybe it's because it's pink) so I had to do the full works - and had to ask many questions before I got it right....

It didnt work on mine till I had changed the three security policies' values. I have now bought three of these and set the others up for clients who wanted a cheap sim free smartphone with exchange syncing.

Now I am off to use my expansys discount voucher on spare microsd cards as i think i will be swapping between the devices quite a lot.

Guest Confucious

Ah! I changed/added all the reg values manually so I think that's why I didn't need it.

Expansys discount voucher? I didn't actually read what came with the phone - did you get a voucher with it? Was it worth it? I just bought a 2Gb card dor under £12 from Moby -.