The official HTC Shift 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well they don't come much better than this... i'm excited to say that I have in my possesion a retail build and packaged HTC Shift, which I have unboxed for your pleasure and i'm ready to answer any tricky questions you can fire at me :(

For those who don't know, the Shift is HTC's first foray into the UMPC (UltraMobile PC) market, and has a very unique selling point with it's 'SnapVue' Windows Mobile based secondary interface!

The full product deets are on the HTC site and i've included the tech specs below, but I know there are a TON of questions people want to ask that aren't answered in the official pages... so ask away! :D

Official Specs:

• Intel® Processor A110, 800MHz
  • Windows Vista® Business
  • 1GB DDR2 microDIMM RAM
  • 1.8-inch 40 GB hard disk with G-Sensor shock protection
  • 207 mm (L) x 129 mm (W) x 25 mm (T)
  • 800g with battery
  • 7-inch, 800 x 480 TFT-LCD display with adjustable screen angle and touch-sensitive screen
  • HSDPA/UMTS: Tri-band 850, 1900, 2100 MHz
  • HSDPA: Up to 3.6Mbps for download and 384kbps for upload UMTS: Up to 384kbps for download and upload
  • GSM/GPRS/EDGE: Quad-band 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz (The device will operate on frequencies available from the cellular network)
  • Slide-out QWERTY keyboard
  • Left/right mouse buttons and microPad
  • Bluetooth® 2.0, Wi-Fi® (IEEE 802.11 b/g)
  • 1 USB 2.0, VGA out, and 3.5mm stereo audio out with microphone
  • 1.8/3V USIM/SIM card slot
  • SDIO slot with hotswap functionality
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • Color CMOS VGA camera for videoconferencing
  • Built-in microphone and dual speakers
  • 2700 mAh rechargeable Lithium-ion polymer battery
  • Windows Vista® operating time: Up to 2 hours
  • SnapVUE™ standby time (push e-mail enabled): Up to 53 hours
  • SnapVUE™ standby time (push e-mail disabled): Up to 10 days

P

Guest adamzeit

Congrats Paul....and hello from New York! A few quick questions for you to start with:

1) In the video, it appears that the Shift is a bit slow....a fairly long delay from when you launched applications to when they finally came up and were usable. Is it a bit sluggish at 800Mhz? Or was it just me?

2) I noticed you performing all of your interactions on the Touch Screen with the Stylus. I am hoping to be able to use this without the stylus...all with my fingers. Pointing, tapping, swiping, etc. So, two questions relating to this a) do you think this will work well as a finger-only touch device, and :D does it have TouchFlo 2.0 or some sort of multi-touch on it?

3) From a typing stand-point, how exactly are you doing this? Just like on a regular keyboard? Are you thumbing it? Two-fingers? What seems to be the best way to achieve accurate, fast typing?

Thanks in advance....as always, you guys are terrific.

Best,

Adam

Guest mikeeey

Paul, can you please take a picture of you talking on this phone. showing it up to your head, lol. (im actually half serious, how big is that?)

Guest thelondonthing
Paul, can you please take a picture of you talking on this phone. showing it up to your head, lol. (im actually half serious, how big is that?)

It's not been designed as a phone - it's been designed as a UMPC. Given that it's been designed as a UMPC, how can you say it's big?

Paul, or other members, will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the cellular capabilities of this device are data-based rather than voice-based.

There are a great many phones out there to satisfy all kinds of requirements, but this really isn't a phone - and the fact that it runs Windows Vista (and a very cut-down version of Windows Mobile that isn't even marketed under that brand in this device (they call it SnapVUE rather than Windows Mobile) makes it pretty clear that it's not a phone.

Guest squilla

Wow thanks for the video Paul, I have been avidly waiting for this video as you know!

I love the finger print recognition, can it be used as finger launch too, to launch applications?

Am I right in thinking it doesnt have GPS?

How does the size compare to the Ameo? The keyboard looks fab!

Your homescreen said T-Mobile, please corrent me if im wrong but I thought this was only coming out for Orange business customers, I am sure you probably got it from Expansys so do you know if it will be available at some point on T-Mobile? (God I hope so!)

While watching the video there were a million questions I wanted to ask but have completly forgotten now since I am so bedazzled by the device so I will ask them later when I remember! Or bombard you on Palringo at some point. :D

Edited to ask... With it being vista, does it sync ok with XP, does it still sync via Activesync? If not how?

Edited by squilla

Paul, or other members, will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the cellular capabilities of this device are data-based rather than voice-based.

Correct, it doesn't have cellular phone capabilities although you could of course add skype etc

Edited by Guest

Guest spacerace
I can't help not getting excited about the Shift every time i see it, it's just a real shame about the price though :D

I think the battery is the problem for me. I like the look of this but if I ended up using it mostly in 'WM' mode to preserve battery I think I'd be better off with something like the Redfly which will hopefully be about half the price too.

Edited by spacerace

Guest GuyAdams

Just like to say that your unboxing video was fantastic Paul.

Very informative but not too long, keep up the great work.

Thanks

Guest Pawel062

hmmm... paul contact me if u like to have full wm6 on their. its all there just hidden.... check xda's shift forum to see what im talking about. its Pawel062 from xda btw.

Paul - its been a while!

blimey! Have we evolved that much already in the space of 2 years? WOOHAAAA!!!! Thats bloody fantastic.....

shame about the size though. I mean how on earth would you really make a "mobile" call? Really its a laptop PC at the end of the day isnt it? :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

1) It doesn't really seem sluggish. It's not super fast like my Core Duo 2 machine, but it's perfectly usable!

2) I use my finger more actually. It doesn't have TouchFlo or Multitouch.

3) I am using the keyboard for touch typing (getting used to it now) on a surface, just about thumb typing when holding, or using Vista's excellent built in handwriting recognition.

P

Congrats Paul....and hello from New York! A few quick questions for you to start with:

1) In the video, it appears that the Shift is a bit slow....a fairly long delay from when you launched applications to when they finally came up and were usable. Is it a bit sluggish at 800Mhz? Or was it just me?

2) I noticed you performing all of your interactions on the Touch Screen with the Stylus. I am hoping to be able to use this without the stylus...all with my fingers. Pointing, tapping, swiping, etc. So, two questions relating to this a) do you think this will work well as a finger-only touch device, and :D does it have TouchFlo 2.0 or some sort of multi-touch on it?

3) From a typing stand-point, how exactly are you doing this? Just like on a regular keyboard? Are you thumbing it? Two-fingers? What seems to be the best way to achieve accurate, fast typing?

Thanks in advance....as always, you guys are terrific.

Best,

Adam

Guest Paul (MVP)

Data only!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

The fingerprint reader is for logging in, and authentication for stored credentials.

No GPS (yet!)

Keyboard is FAR better than the Ameo!

I didn't get it from eXpansys, and I have no info on operator releases other than Orange!

P

Wow thanks for the video Paul, I have been avidly waiting for this video as you know!

I love the finger print recognition, can it be used as finger launch too, to launch applications?

Am I right in thinking it doesnt have GPS?

How does the size compare to the Ameo? The keyboard looks fab!

Your homescreen said T-Mobile, please corrent me if im wrong but I thought this was only coming out for Orange business customers, I am sure you probably got it from Expansys so do you know if it will be available at some point on T-Mobile? (God I hope so!)

While watching the video there were a million questions I wanted to ask but have completly forgotten now since I am so bedazzled by the device so I will ask them later when I remember! Or bombard you on Palringo at some point. :D

Edited to ask... With it being vista, does it sync ok with XP, does it still sync via Activesync? If not how?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Battery life is more of an issue than price IMHO!

P

I can't help not getting excited about the Shift every time i see it, it's just a real shame about the price though :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

The redfly is exciting too, we have a great interview with them in the next Podcast!

P

I think the battery is the problem for me. I like the look of this but if I ended up using it mostly in 'WM' mode to preserve battery I think I'd be better off with something like the Redfly which will hopefully be about half the price too.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Au contraire, it's not bad! I'll shoot some more video when I get a chance :D

P

Vista must be dog slow on that sucker surely?

Guest spacerace
The redfly is exciting too, we have a great interview with them in the next Podcast!

P

awesome, look forward to it. (did they mention any release dates?)

Guest ArcaneShark

Hi Paul,

Once again, lucky you!

So some quick questions.

First, I didnt have audio when the video was playing so was that a USB Hub and Lan port on that black USB box.

Secondly, Is there anyway to rotate orientation, I read somewhere that apparently Vista can rotate for tablet devices, alternatively have you seen iRotate which apparently works well. I'm just thinking about my ebook experience that I discusses with you before.

Thirdly, do you know if it will accept charge over USB. I doubt it as it'll probably draw too much, what sort of weight is the AC Adaptor.

How is the slider, that I have heard so many complaints about?

I've heard from my supplier that I should receive mine by wednesday, which will be great.

Do you know if it'll boot from the USB. Can you access the BIOS ok to select this, or have HTC disabled the BIOS access.

The next thing for me to do will see about backing up the HDD and trying a fresh build without the repair partition to save on HDD space.

How much space was available when you first turned it on?

A bit back to front, but have you tried to use Vista's Mobile Device Centre on the Shift with your Win Mobile attached, can they sync together.

Also does it have Vista SP1, on it, or have you tried to install it? Any issues?

Cheers

Jim

Edited by ArcaneShark

Guest Paul (MVP)
First, I didnt have audio when the video was playing so was that a USB Hub and Lan port on that black USB box.

Yes.

Secondly, Is there anyway to rotate orientation, I read somewhere that apparently Vista can rotate for tablet devices, alternatively have you seen iRotate which apparently works well. I'm just thinking about my ebook experience that I discusses with you before.

Not tried it before I read this, can't see an obvious rotate option built in, will have a play!

Thirdly, do you know if it will accept charge over USB. I doubt it as it'll probably draw too much, what sort of weight is the AC Adaptor.

No it won't, but the power adaptor is 150g and very compact.

How is the slider, that I have heard so many complaints about?

Not bad, i'm still getting used to how far you push it before tilting, but it's perfectly fine so far.

Do you know if it'll boot from the USB. Can you access the BIOS ok to select this, or have HTC disabled the BIOS access.

You get an option to choose boot device on startup, not tried it yet!

How much space was available when you first turned it on?

Erm, about 33GB IIRC!

A bit back to front, but have you tried to use Vista's Mobile Device Centre on the Shift with your Win Mobile attached, can they sync together.

How do you mean? The Shift can't see Snapvue via WMDC, so if you plug your real device in, it'll sync fine. Effectively, the Shift Vista bit and the Snapvue bit are completely isolated except for shared use of the 3G connectivity.

Also does it have Vista SP1, on it, or have you tried to install it? Any issues?

Mine didn't but i've installed it with no issues.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.